• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Great Parking Debate

This idea that income from car parking has to go on car-related things is hugely misguided.

Even if they said the money would bed used for car-related improvements, you have to be pretty naive to have believed that.
Same as those that believe car tax pays for public road upkeep :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Will get you used to the wonderful world of paying taxes for things you might never use...
But when it's a case of "lets not charge the £6 for parking and instead make everyone pay £6 on top of their entry price, regardless of whether they use the parking facilities or not", that's hardly right!

Anyway, that's not happened yet though, so I won't worry about it!

This idea that income from car parking has to go on car-related things is hugely misguided.

Even if they said the money would bed used for car-related improvements, you have to be pretty naive to have believed that.

Well seen as there are no laws regarding the use of theme park car park income, i don't think anyone here would ever consider they "have" to do anything with the money. Indeed if Nick Varney wants to use the money to fill a swimming pool with £5 notes and jump into it naked he can.

The point is when i pay to park in a car park i expect not to have to fix my suspension the next day after traversing a miniature replica of the Grand Canyon. I have no issue with a car park charge but i have an issue with doing so for badly maintained roads and fields to park on.

And as for naivety, what i think they "should" do and what i know they will do are two different things, but if we just discussed reality on here we could replace the forums with a spreadsheet.

Do you have to pay to park on the field car parks?
have you enjoyed the delights of the minbus parking area, i am glad i have duel tyres on the rear drive axle of my works minibus.

Its a themed car park didn't you know?
i am taking that as a tongue in cheek joke

The main car park is fine and so is air and the overflow one, however the whole of the coach park/road, main entrance road and hotels road needs re doing, it's in such a state. I would hope once enchanted village is done they may do something, the amount of work traffic that has been using those roads for Smiler and now enchanted village

As I have said many a time before I have no problem with the car parking charge, it is to be expected and from a business point of view Towers would be foolish not to charge it. As Dave points out the big problem is the state of some of the roads and the coach park. High quality improvements are needed urgently.

:)

Apologies for bumping an old topic, but can anyone remember when they started charging for parking at the Towers, and how much it was originally?
And when was the proposed bypass idea dumped?

Apologies for bumping an old topic, but can anyone remember when they started charging for parking at the Towers, and how much it was originally?
And when was the proposed bypass idea dumped?

Parking charges were introduced in 2002 it was £2 originally.

I believe Merlin were the ones to officially scrap the idea of the bypass not long after taking over in 2007.

I like how 4 years ago everyone was convinced the price was about to go up to £7 but it's remained static ever since.

You've inevitably jinxed it now, John.
They have to balance it. If they raise it then it may cause a drop on visitors.
Parking cost are always a big issue with drivers.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Thorpe’s continues to climb, so it does seem inevitable AT’s will rise.

Perhaps they’ve not yet concluded the return on investment calculations for what they’d spend on new signs with the charge increase.

Thorpe Park get absolutely slated on Trip Advisor for their parking charges. That could perhaps explain why Alton haven't increased it for a while.