• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Great Skyline Game (Final Results)

Sammy

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Untamed - Walibi Holland
Banner.png

2021 Leaderboard!

1. @John - 394
2. @Rob - 367
3. @Poisson - 294
4. @ThisGuy - 254
5. @MattyH - 242
6. @Brad97 - 239
7. @Tim - 212
8. @Charlie Newbold - 85
9. @Matt N - 69
10. @RicketyCricket - 66
11. @Cheese - 50
12. @Danny - 45
13. @D4n - 35
14. @Pleasure Beach Valhalla - 26
15. @evilcod - 16

Good evening dear people of Towers Street, would you believe it, this is your Quiz Committee calling… Again. Well, two of us anyway, you really are not getting rid of us now, but fear not, this isn't a call to a 7 hour Discord quiz (not this time anway). Would you believe we are now almost a whole two months into the ‘Closed Season’, and myself and my dear friend @Burbs have decided we all need something to pass the time. Thus we are proud to bring you a brand new closed season community game, originally devised by myself for our Pub Quiz No. 4 way back in June, it is indeed the Skyline Round!

Now ordinarily we would be a good month into the annual layout geek league by now, but we are giving that a well earned rest this year and with the skyline game having just won ‘Most difficult quiz round’ in our awards, it seemed only right to introduce it to the masses! So, what is the Skyline Game? Well dear people, let me tell you! The idea behind it is simple and actually quite similar to the layout league, it is basically a pictogram game/quiz, where we will use a simple bar chart to depict a theme park skyline. Perhaps an example would help…

Example ATR.png

So, if you look at the example above, each bar represents an individual coaster. For the purposes of the game they will always be arranged in height order, tallest to smallest, left to right. Unlike in the quiz, because frankly it took me ages, we will this time be drawing the skylines in a spreadsheet rather than the highly technical MS Paint. So each cell of the sheet is equal to 5ft and coasters shall be rounded to the nearest 5 based on their heights as listed on RCDB. The other key thing to look at as well as the height, is the colours, the main part of the bar is the support colour of each coaster with the top 5ft (cell) being the track colour. These two key bits of information along with of course the number of bars (coasters) should help you to guess which park's skyline is being depicted.

It is worth noting here, that the height of each coaster is taken relative to the ground below that coaster, hence why here The Smiler & Oblivion differ so much, despite actually being the same height to look at. It is measured purely based on the individual coasters own high point above the ground, so smiler’s entire track is 99ft above ground, meanwhile Oblivion only the top 65ft is above the ground due to the tunnel and slope of the hill in X-Sector.

So I think that covers the general gist of the game itself and how the round will look. So how is the game going to work? Unlike the layout league, this is a little more technical in terms of the drawing of the skylines, so thankfully you don’t need to worry about that as Tom and I shall be doing that part, mainly to make sure each diagram is as uniform as possible week in week out and make it as fair as possible. By which of course, what I actually mean is we don’t want any skylines drawn with the spray can tool!! Yes it might be arty… Yes it may be different… But a gradient fade half way up Top Thrill Dragster is helping nobody!

Anyway, each week we will be posting 5 layouts… Sorry, skylines specific to a theme, just to help narrow it down a little for you. The skylines will always be posted on a Friday at which point the guessing shall commence, with the maximum number of points available being 5 per Skyline, which will gradually decrease over the course of the week. So;

- Correct guesses up to 23:59 on Saturday = 5pts

- Correct guesses up to 23:59 on Monday = 4pts

- Correct guesses thereafter = 3pts

- All correct guesses = bonus 1pt per skyline

- Final guesses must be made by 23:59 on the following Thursday, ahead of the new round.

And how will we keep track of these scores I hear you ask? Well… With a lovely google form my good people! Look, we invested a lot of time in this for the quizzes, so we may as well make use of it, dammit! Each week a form will be posted at the start of the round along with the Skylines, you’ll just need to pop your user name in along with a 3-digit code so we can check and add it to the leaderboard. You’ll need to verify your code by PM’ing it to @Burbs before you submit your answers. You need to use the same code each week, so make it something you’ll remember, or check back through your forum PMs in the event that you do forget it.

And for now I think that is everything, though it is worth nothing, this is all just for a bit of fun so before anybody jumps on us for the diagrams not being accurate, you can blame that on RCDB for any discrepancies or coasters with no height listed! You are most welcome.

And with that, this week's category is a nice easy one to start us off…

BRITAIN (uh)

Skyline No. 1
Skyline 1.png
Skyline No. 2
Skyline 2.png
Skyline No. 3
Skyline 3.png
Skyline No. 4
Skyline 4.png
Skyline No. 5
Skyline 5.png

Submit your answers by clicking HERE, and don’t forget to PM @Burbs your 3-digit code. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we make the 3-digit code ourselves? Or is it generated for us?

You should have just received my answers for this round through the Google Form. Have they come through OK?

Some of them are surprisingly difficult - think I've worked them all out but the relative heights of some of the rides (not saying which) is really unintuitive, even though none of them are as misleading as those at Towers. Some of the colours used don't quite line up with my mental image of the rides in question too. I still imagine them in their original bright colours, rather than the faded look they have now

Some of them are surprisingly difficult - think I've worked them all out but the relative heights of some of the rides (not saying which) is really unintuitive, even though none of them are as misleading as those at Towers. Some of the colours used don't quite line up with my mental image of the rides in question too. I still imagine them in their original bright colours, rather than the faded look they have now
I thought the same, but I also could have got them wrong... so who know.

I must admit, I think this is a really fun idea; very different to the Geek League, but also really fun and interesting in its own way! Thanks for running this @Burbs and @Sussy!

Out of interest, though, I must ask; how did you calculate Wicker Man to be shorter than Thirteen in the Alton Towers example above? Because Alton themselves say that it’s 20m (65.6ft, the same as Thirteen, Oblivion and Galactica) and RCDB says that the drop height (the same metric you measure Smiler by) is 22m (72.2ft, which would make it second tallest in the park behind Smiler). Sorry to seem pedantic; I was only intrigued to know!

Last edited:
This is extremely difficult to work out. However, one thing I had worked out... there is DEFINITELY an important park missing there...

Out of interest, though, I must ask; how did you calculate Wicker Man to be shorter than Thirteen in the Alton Towers example above?
Yeah, think we might have messed that one up! It's an example (of our failing) after all, so hopefully you get the gist for the rest of them... some of which may be more accurate than others.

How's this, @Islander ?

|||||
|||||
|||||
|||||
|||||
||||| ||||| |||||
||||| ||||| |||||

(heights are very approximate, colours based on some old RCDB photos which may not accurately represent current colour schemes, there's only 65 colours available anyway)

How's this, @Islander ?

|||||
|||||
|||||
|||||
|||||
||||| ||||| |||||
||||| ||||| |||||

(heights are very approximate, colours based on some old RCDB photos which may not accurately represent current colour schemes, there's only 65 colours available anyway)
I appreciate this greatly :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Good evening players or potential players of the game!

I would first of all like to say a huge thank you to all who have submitted answers so far and payed along, the uptake has been far higher than myself or @Burbs ever expected, so thank you! And to those considering playing, please do join us! Note that even if you don't play along this week, you can pick up in the subsequent weeks, though remember it will be harder to climb the leaderboard if you miss a week!

So on that note, if you haven't played yet, you have sadly missed your chance at full marks for the round, but there is still time to play along! You could still bag yourself a nice 20pts to start the game and you have until 23:59 tomorrow to do so. So see this as your just less than 28 hour warning... All submissions for the first round must be in by a minute before midnight tomorrow night!

So why not click HERE for your last chance to play along this week!

See you on Friday for the results and more importantly... The next round!!