• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

the ITV thread

Alastair

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Rise of the Resistance
Don't think there's already one of these?

Anyway, what does everyone think of ITV's new logo?

I think it's pretty dire to be honest, much preferred the old yellow logo and I don't think it's actually aged at all in the numerous years since it was brought in.

article-0-160F9BCB000005DC-154_634x315.jpg

article-0-160F9BCB000005DC-367_634x355.jpg

To put it simply:

Crock of 'poop'.

That goes for 95% of itv1's output too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

The new logo just doesn't look right. ITV in general isn't a very good channel, IMO - they haven't transmitted very many good programmes recently, and their sports coverage isn't on the same level as that of the BBC.

You know, if that logo was put in front of me and I was asked "This is a new logo for a UK television channel, what channel is it?" I'd probably either reply with "Doesn't look recognisable to me at all" or "What's iw?".

Very dire logo. If that took a year to develop they need their money back!

ITV isn't that bad of a channel, I watch a few shows on there. Celebrity Juice, I'm a Celeb, Switch, Britain's Got Talent... it's not the best of channels but I tend to watch only a handful of shows per channel. All I remind myself is 'at least it has not reached Channel 5 standards'.

That logo is honestly awful though. It completely ruins the brand. Looks like something a child did with word art in 2 minutes.

I'm sure someone will make a Sexual reference towards the logo sooner or later...

It looks a bit crap, but I feel that's a good thing because ITV are awful, so at least the logo matches the company

Bleh. I really like that new logo! Looks a lot more modern and fresh than this:

ITV1_logo.jpg

This new one actually has some personality and warmth. It's just simpler, warmer and better. :)

Shame all their programming sucks. I honestly haven't watched anything on ITV (except Take Me Out) for several years. :(

I'm surprised they didn't just go for a red banner with "ITV" in italic white text, tbh.

Jem8472 said:
I do hope they did not actually pay money for that.

The fresh look was created by in-house designers and took around a year

So no, they only paid the in-house designers which they had on the pay-roll anyway. Not any external branding companies.

I don't see why people don't like it?! Fresh, modern, and I like how the colours change depending on the program. I guess the success of the new brand will come down to how good the idents are anyway. :)

I'm personally not a fan, I'm quite fond of the current branding. More amusing though, is that whoever wrote that article seems to think that @Queen_UK is genuinely The Queen tweeting.

Everyone hates stuff like this at first because it's new, a change. People hate change.

Everyone hated the Olympics logo at first. In the end, it turned out to be really recognisable, and the first Olympics logo for about 50 years that didn't look like the logo for a corporate solutions company.

I still hate the Olympics logo. :p

There's nothing visually pleasing about it. It's sharp which makes it look aggressive and yet it's still utterly bland and devoid of character.

But getting back to the ITV logo, I would say the new one is a vast improvement on the old. The old logo was rigid, cold and sickly but the new one is warm; almost homely, but is undeniably contemporary. Like a piece of IKEA furniture. However... much like the products of large chain furniture stores, it comes across as faux cozy, and that's disconcerting. That's probably a result of the exaggerated joined-upness of the typography which feels very desperate. It's almost as if ITV is screaming in our face "LOOK WE'RE A RESPECTABLE, COMFORTABLE AND CASUAL MIDDLE CLASS CHANNEL"

Still... It's a step in the right direction. Shame there's no improvement in the programming.

Hmm, I'm ambivalent over the logo at most. It's nice to see a change and, have to admit, the retro feel is good too but after being so used to the old logo for quite some time, it feels slightly disruptive. I'm sure once the rebrand has been rolled out across the channels, we'll be more sure on how to feel.

As for ITV itself, well I only watch it for the sake of "Downton Abbey" and the Granada "Sherlock Holmes" series, occasionally the odd film, since nothing else strikes me as interesting enough.

Looks like a great logo for a kids channel, but for ITV, less so.

But at the end of the day, it's just a logo.

ITV are crap whatever logo they use. :p

Loving the fact that, although opinions on the new logo are split (I personally hate it), we are at least united in our dislike of ITV :p

I'm not sure on the new logo at all - I thought the current rectangle ones were quite smart. If there are some new idents to go along with it though it may not be all that bad.

Saying that, does the new logo remind anyone else of the written 'join the letters' exercises we did at primary school?

I like the current one. Yes, it doesn't spark excitement or enthusiasm, but nor does the channel. It does what it does and most importantly hasn't aged. Still as "fresh" as it's always been.

New one looks meh really. Not really worth replacing it, and renaming your flagship channel after so many years of forcing us to become used to itv 1? Gah.

That's just awful. Who thought it would be a good idea to change the simple, recognizable logo into a hard to read logo that looks like something from a couple of decades ago?