• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The most unforgivable thing...

There has to be some sort of recovery from events of 2015 this year followed by a larger rise with SW8 in 2018. If this does not happen then the case that the park is offering an inferior product and 'normal' guests are also not happy is going to be hard to deny.

:)

I think you're right. It was obvious that things were never going to be the same after 2015 and current "battening down the hatches" is keeping the shareholders at bay for now. But after 2018, if guest numbers don't recover, they will have a serious issue on their hands.

There isn't really any flat land at AT... I don"t think they've realised that can be worked around.
Pop next door and have a chat with Lord Bamford.

They only pay for them at Thorpe Park!!! There's plenty of them there. Guess they let London folks have them but not us up north

Most of the flats at Thorpe were added in the early 2000s when Tussauds took over and pushed the park in a more thrill ride direction. The only one that's been added recently was the dodgems in an attempt to move away from pure thrill.

Plus you just know when one of those flats finally has its day (looking at you Samurai/Slammer) they won't be replaced by anything.

Plus you just know when one of those flats finally has its day (looking at you Samurai/Slammer) they won't be replaced by anything.
I'd suggest both those rides had their day a long time ago, but thanks to a long programme of effort and expenditure, those rides continue to run (sometimes!). Six Flags had far fewer issues with their Sky Swat and they ripped it out a long time ago.

Rick is right there, and especially in the case of Slammer you really have to praise Thorpe for persisting with it. The majority of parks would have removed it by now with the problems that it has continued to have.

:)

I think Slammer being the only Sky Swat left is pretty much the reason why they've gone to these lengths to maintain it.
If anything, that's a reason to can it, surely. S&S don't even offer a support contract on it. I'm not sure it's much of a pull.

I do wonder why they persist with Slammer. The very same parent company are responsible for many of the issues discussed in this thread, yet have been willing to invest in preserving slammer. Very contradictory.

I'm glad they have though. Slammer never seems popular, probably because people are so used to it being closed. Plus the fact it's in one of the less prominent positions in the park, hidden behind Colossus and the X building in an area that now has a toilet block as it's main feature. But it always seems to draw interest when it's running and I thoroughly enjoy riding it. It's a very unique ride experience, especially with the rather odd shoulder restraints.

I do wonder why they persist with Slammer. The very same parent company are responsible for many of the issues discussed in this thread, yet have been willing to invest in preserving slammer. Very contradictory.

I guess it comes down to park management really. Merlin are no doubt behind the scenes pointing in the right direction but the park will decide for itself what they what. That must include deciding what old rides to keep.

Kinda falls in to line with what Wardley always used to say about major new ride projects - that the park decides what it wants based upon what they think they need to appeal to their target market (so it's all maketing led basically). Then they take that brief and go to MMM who design and build the ride. Obviously each park will have pre-set budgets for not only annual maintenance/additions but also budgets for major or medium new rides depending on what cycle has been set - every 3 or 4 years.

Makes sense. So Towers management don't give two hoots about flat rides. Breaking news!

Apparently, if Bill Gates put all his money in £50 notes under his mattress, then fell out of bed in the night, it would take him 18 minutes to hit the floor.

Nobody at Merlin is as rich as that, (yet), but the huge differentials in pay between the top brass, and the minimum wage employees is pretty unforgiveable.

Fortunately, if I put all my money in one pence pieces under my mattress, then fell out of bed, I wouldn't hurt myself.

The most unforgivable thing is them claiming they are 'looking to the future' but clearly they are just cutting back on everything.

To close the flume and not offer a water replacement hurt a lot (Almost as much as Chessington closing the bubble works)

The most unforgivable thing is them claiming they are 'looking to the future' but clearly they are just cutting back on everything.

To close the flume and not offer a water replacement hurt a lot (Almost as much as Chessington closing the bubble works)

Bubbleworks 2.0 delivered to go, it had had its time. I'd never ridden the original Prof Burp one, but from what I read it was entirely different and is missed much more than the soap factory.

I'm undecided on the loss of the flume, for me I only enjoyed riding it 2-3 months of the year, it was very rarely a must-do for me with the British weather. Rapids would have been more of a loss.

Its obvious what is unforgivable;
1) to close ripsaw with no replacement (not a tacky forbidden sweep!)
2) to close Sub Terra with no "official" reason.
3) to close the flume two years before replacement is built.
4) to not update iceage show.
5)Not to add some other flat or simple ride to the dark forest so its not just Rita and th13teen.
6)Close twirling toadstool
7)Concentrate on an 8th of the park (CBeebies land) and forget about everything else in the other 7/8ths of the park!!!!

The removal of Toyland Tours, only for it to be replaced with that repundant Charlie And The Choclate factory ride.
Thankfully it's being revamped again, but I've heard rumours that it might become another Gruffalo ride.

If that is the case, someone needs to stop the Gruffalo, at any cost. :cool:

Thankfully it's being revamped again, but I've heard rumours that it might become another Gruffalo ride
Merlin wouldn't clone an attraction a couple hours away from the other, the only times they clone an attraction is for the Legoland Parks so I doubt it will be The Gruffalo however it could be based another Julia Donaldson book like The Stickman for example.