• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Next Accommodation...

Ben

TS Founding Member
Favourite Ride
Your Dad
So we know the plans for the Log Cabins / Hobbit Holes failed, an extension to Alton Towers Hotel has lapsed. So what are Alton looking to do with another accommodation option?

We know it will never be 'budget' - it would kill off all the local B&Bs, and other options local to the area so would never get planning permission. Also Alton Towers (and Merlin) love the idea of being a premium product, so we know we can always expect something a little different and highly expensive.

It had been rumoured that if the lodges had been built (and all of ATH refurbished ala the moon rooms) that ATH would become the highest priced hotel with the best rooms and theming, the lodges would be middle with their unique rooms and that Splash Landings would become the cheaper option.

Sadly when the lodge plans hit a halt nothing else happened at ATH either.

--

Big concerns were drawn on the dining / bar area at the lodge plans. It sometimes difficult already to find somewhere to eat as a hotel guest. (Note: Sir Algenons Pizza place in summer holidays for the past 2 summers).

So any further hotel MUST have a large dining area and hopefully bar / entertainment area to keep the additional guests fed, watered and satisfied.

--

Several years ago there was rumour that either the ATH hotel extension or a further hotel would have a gambling theme with Merlin wanting to gain extra income from gamblers. However this rumour very quickly died, with Alton Towers having such a family focus it would be hard to pull off. Families wouldnt want the hotel and children couldnt be in the gaming area.

--

Further long led speculation is on a 'Downtown Towers' entertainment area with venues such as a cinema, bars, bowling, cinema, restaurants and even a night club.
Hotel guests would have activities much more than exist, but theme park visitors might stay for further meals and entertainment and local people could welcome an entertainment venue.

Its notable that Extraordinary Golf was build in line with the monorail station and (if you follow the line) the parks emergency exit under Airs first drop.
The same area that on the 10 year plan was listed as a 'second entrance' to the park, mainly on my eyes so it could be an exit to the new entertainment area. Also in a morning with a larger influx of guests going onto the park for ERT if it was local to that area it would minimise foot traffic on the main entrance.

--

Ok so FINALLY im getting to my main reason for the topic.

Realistically what should we expect as the next lodging offering from Alton Towers?

I think the Downtown Disney-esque area would be great, and in my view, is the next logical step for the resort once additional hotel capacity is built as well. Sadly, though, I doubt anything will happen while JCB own land at that end of the resort, IIRC.

I think we'll see ATH continue with their room renovations, hopefully the speed of those will accelerate as time goes on and they gain in popularity. We'll see ATH pushed as the more premium of the two hotels and probably a focus on splash of more themed rooms most likely based on IPs .

As occupancy improves I'd elect to see a focus on dining options bring improved, possibly with another restaurant or two being a permanent fixture rather than a seasonal afterthought. We'll likely see more thought and effort put into entertainment with much more substantial shows too.

Water park wise we may see an eventual expansion, again depending on occupancy rates.

I'd still expect to see a third accommodation choice of some sort, albeit something relatively small scale which can be grown in phases rather than something as big as the two current hotels. A few lodges to kick things off would be nice.

I can see a second entrance by air in the medium term, mainly thanks to the monorail coming to the end of its working life and a desire to spread crowds around the park from the word go. Id like to see a downtown Disney style area, but honestly I feel the need is for an improvement in quality to the current accommodation, entertainment and dining options before putting so much money into a completely new entertainment area. The whole package needs to be there to encourage people to stay, not just a shiny new cinema next to two hotels in desperate need of refurbishment and improvements in facilities.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4

The danger in all of this "Downtown" affect is it will just become another part of the park that will just get run down. It would also I think cheapen the park somewhat. I think it is essential that AT improve what they have got before expanding to quickly. My main concerns are.

1) What will happen to towers street if a second entrance is installed. Will that fall into a decay?

2) Loose the main point of having the entrance at towers street. Surely having the entrance where it is the crowd can feed away into different areas. If an entrance is placed at FV it would create a bottleneck, and those with families would have to go all the way over to the other side of the park for anything related to them. FV would have to go through a major change to accommodate more footfall, Wider paths be levelled out.

A second entrance would be pivotal in the up and coming years I don't doubt it, its just having it FV for me would be wrong. If you get rid of the Monorail could the entrance be placed where the maintenance shed for the Monorail is. Have the entrance to the main park at the bit where the toilets are between GW and FV. Change Haunted hollow into a normal walkthrough. Keep that Fv and the haunted house separate from any major footfall areas. Where the monorail track and station are create a cinema and whatever (no gambling). If you were on Air and nemmy would you want to be able to see huge buildings?

Extend down into the air cap park is the only way something substantial can be built in my opinion.

This may or may not make sense. So I do apologise but I think ive put what I mean in clear terms.

I personally think that the downtown area not only is a good option but is a must, especially if they do extend accommodation, which I think is needed too. Staying at the hotels you have hardly any choice what to do in the evening.
Currently you have 2 options:

ATH evening warbling: I personally detest 'cheesy cruise entertainment' so the thoughts of sitting in the ATH and listening to one hit after another brutally murdered makes me shudder, its only slightly less bad than karaoke.

Splash evening: Fine if you don't mind a sauna whilst your having a pint and coping with occasional screaming overtired kids.

What I think they need before they can get more accommodation is :-

1) A pub that does good pub food. Preferably independently run so there is at least some competition.

2) Something a bit unique - I was going to say cinema, but what I think they should have is a sillycinema. one which shows classic films like Rocky Horror Picture show late and harry potter early, and is far more 4d than you expect. i.e. when it rains on screen it rains on you and so on. It doesn't even need to be 3d. Just an effect filled experience that takes an hour and a half or so and leaves everyone laughing.

3) Somewhere for younger adults to hang/go. i.e. more of a party pub/nightclub. Doing things like the Vodka luge.

4) A posh restaurant with candles and the likes for those with dosh.

5) Bumper Cars - (Bumper cars after beer are must).

What you should do, is after an evening say, "Ohh we still haven't tried such and such, we will have to come back later in the year!"

In an ideal world I would love to see the Alton Towers Hotel expanded. With this expansion they would build new hotel suites, a new hotel restaurant/pub on the ground floor (something that offers a range like Woodcutters) - along with a new entertainments venue with a large scale stage and bar, looking similar to what they did in the conference centre earlier this year during Easter.

I know the planned expansion doesn't outline any of that, but ideally that's what I think would work well for Alton Towers.

After the ATH expansion, a third hotel would be well suited to the left side of ATH. A third hotel would need its own entertainments venue as well as a unique restaurant. I thought it was maddening that the lodges were not going to have any interesting restaurants or an entertainments venue of its own!

Regarding the second entrance and 'downtown' concept. I do not think this should happen until Towers Street is re-done itself. Ideally they should have one season that includes: Demolition and construction of a new modern Towers Street, a modern monorail replacement (although still following the same path as the current one) that extends to the resort hotels - and 'downtown' phase one built, with phase two following the next season. This would give Alton Towers a massive infrastructure improvement and also work well with making the whole 'resort' concept complete.

Although I know these 'ideal' thoughts will never actually happen. But you can let a guy dream, can't you? :p

The second entrance will never result in Towers Street being left to rot. I'm sure Alton Towers are aware of how iconic it is to walk down Towers Street. They will never ever remove that. It would be like Disney closing off the main street and you entering at the back of the park - it will never happen. I find it strange that people think that. I know Alton Towers has been bad for letting things rot over the years but they will not get that bad as to leave Towers Street to decay into nothing.

It'd be great to have a downtown style area for towers, would really suit the place. However, they need to beef up accomodation first, another hotel or two before getting it, just to justify the cost as you'll know it'll be busier then.

To be honest, not being pessimistic here but, who can actually see a 'Downtown' area actually happening in the next 10 years?

I can't.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Stevie said:
To be honest, not being pessimistic here but, who can actually see a 'Downtown' area actually happening in the next 10 years?

I can't.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Exactly this.

I don't even think that one is necessary? They just need some decent night time entertainment. A shopping district would just be an expensive liability that I fail to see bringing in money.

10 years no. But in 20 years it could become more of a reality.

It would quite easily bring in money. They cannot build one now though as there just aren't enough guests. Until there are one or two more hotels/types of accommodation only then will they build a downtown. With a few 100 more guests and theme park guests being pushed to stay until the evenings, it would easily bring in a lot of money for Alton Towers and prove to be popular.

With another mid range hotel and a budget option I could see how a central hub containing a few restaurants, bars and a couple of shops would make sense, but anyone dreaming of a multiplex cinemas and nightclubs is living in dreamland.

Having cinema and nightclubs is just cheesy nonsense.

A decent bar, that's all you need. Take dragon bar out, build a separate bar other side of the car park away from the hotels. (Not to far to stagger). so the adult folk of AT can escape away from the cheesy cruise, Jane Mcdonald type entertainment in the main hotel. Few seats in there a dance floor for if it gets that of atmosphere and bobs your uncle. That's what AT was missing when I went, all the adults that didn't have kids were just squeezed into the Dragon bar and couldn't escape the sheer awfulness of the scarefest entertainment.

since im on it, you could attach a restaurant no problem. Also build a cheaper hotel, have a basic Premier inn style hotel. Bit a jazz on it their you go. Keep it simple