• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Paralympics and Olympics - Should they be merged?

James

TS Founding Member
As the title says - should these two different events be merged to create one universal sporting event?

Those against the idea of a merge argue that they are both too distinct of events to ever warrant being merged. Another arguments include that it would cost too much, due to more accommodation and bigger facilities being needed for a merged event to work. Some people also argue it's a formula that currently works well and if there were to ever be a merged event the viewing attitudes would not change.

Those for the idea believe that the disabled should not be singled out to have their own event. Some argue that we should see sport as a collective talent, something that should be celebrated as one event with all types of people, regardless of their disability. Another argument posed by some is that disabled athletes train just as hard as able-bodied athletes and perform to the same high standard required.

It's quite a hot topic of debate at the moment, and I'm interested in finding out peoples views on here.

I'm sitting on the fence with this one, I can see both the pros and cons of a merge - however I quite like the concept of there being one united events celebrating sports.

So what are your views? Should they be merged or not? Why? What are the benefits? Are there benefits?

I think they should stay seperate as there are such differences in some of the events, but I think this year's Games have highlighted the fact that the Paralympic Games are by no way inferior to the main Olympic games.
It's great to see such support and crowds for the Paralympics this year, and I think this will change the way they are viewed in the future.

The Paralympics and Olympics - Should they be merged?

I think that logistically it would be a big issue - particularly as many locations built for the two sets of games are being used as dual purpose for different sports (I.e. riverbank arena is Hockey / Paralylpic football or the copper box being handball / Paralympic goalball). I also think they scheduling so much sport and so many events together would be a nightmare - particularly due to all the different classes within the Paralympics.

However there is a more important reason in my view. The Paralympians get one chance every four years to shine in front of the world and show how incredible they are. It is disability sport's showcase event and the one time that the competitors are given coverage on television. I'd hate for them to be lost within the midst of the Olympics and not get their own chance to have the attention on them.

I haven't sourced anything so I don't know any actual facts. Surely the majority of abled-bodied Olympic athletes would outcompete disabled Paralympic athletes with some Paralympic athletes having perhaps a greater advantage due to their prosthetic attachments. It would be too fickle to vet and categorize mixed events of Paralympians and Olympians. As awe inspiring as it is to watch the Paralympics, I find the Lexi system confusing and sometimes I wonder if it's fair amongst the Paralympians themselves. Though who I am to criticize the Lexi system, I wouldn't even want to touch designing such a system with my swanky barge pole, so kudos to the chaps that designed it. The only true and fair way to go about this is to keep the Paralympics and Olympics as separate sporting events.

Re: The Paralympics and Olympics - Should they be merged?

If the Paralympians want them to be then yes. If they don't, then no. As able-bodied people, our opinion shouldn't really be relevant.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

I'd like to see them kept as separate events but with the Paralympics starting before the main Olympics. M reason for this? In my opinion everyone get so hyped up for the 'main event' that when it's actually over everyone goes back to their normal way of lives etc and doesn't bother with the Paralympics, which lets face it, is never as thrilling as the olympics...

I know that I'd watch a hell of a lot more paralympics if it was on first, but that's just me?

RustyRider said:
I know that I'd watch a hell of a lot more paralympics if it was on first, but that's just me?

I feel the same.

The Olympics is seen as a far bigger event than the Paralympics. So when the 'big' event is over, comes the small event - and hype dies down straight after the Olympics. If they were shown the other way around i think people would watch the Paralympics far more, as it builds up to the 'bigger' event without any hype being lost with either event.

It already happens in many big events around the world, for example festivals/concerts, the headliners always play last just so the smaller bands get their set in front of a huge crowd, instead of playing to a half empty venue once the headliners have packed up and gone home...same applies to wrestling and boxing.

If they were on at the same time (or even before) though, what is to say that they would receive more coverage? The scheduling would be a headache for any broadcaster and I severely doubt any would place Paralympic events higher on their schedules than Olympic events...

The paralympics in 1980 and 1984 were held before the Olympics of that year. The one in 1980 lasted between June 21 and June 30 (Where as the Olympics in 1980 lasted between July 19 and August 3). While the one in 1984 lasted between June 17 and June 30. (Where as the Olympics in 1984 lasted between July 28 and August 12)

Also, Does anyone not like saying "Normal Olympics" or "The Actual Olympics" when talking about the Olympics? I find it a bit disrespectful to the Paralympic athletes which is why I don't like saying it

Personally I'd follow it on the a day or two after the Olympics closing ceremony like Big Brother seem to do with Channel 5, to keep the hype up and it'd save money for the countries sending the people there and the more the merrier of course. Not at the same time as we already have 4 channels worth of Olympics at once and it'd be more sponsorship money.

And I just call them the Summer Olympics and Paralympics. Simples.

Glad that you all know what's best for the disabled athletes.

Sam said:
Glad that you all know what's best for the disabled athletes.

I appreciate that none of 'us' know what 'they' want, but has the view of Paralympian's on the subject ever been told? If so, I'd love to hear it. However, just because none of us are Paralympian's doesn't mean we cannot discuss our own opinions on the matter... None of us are going to have any say in whether or not they should be merged, therefore we are merely discussing our own opinions.

I'd have more support to your repeated stance of "let the disabled athletes choose themselves" were this an actual IOC/IPC debate being held without the representation of disabled athletes.