• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Public Transport Thread

I just can't see any real improvements until a) the resort is truly year round, which can't happen any time soon because of traffic through the village, and b) the bypass gets built, which can't happen any time soon because of all the reasons it hasn't already.

If both were to happen then it would be much more feasible. Operating a seasonal bus service at the intensity required to make it successful would mean too many buses and drivers with nothing to do the rest of the year, and unless it was really successful at getting rid of cars, the perception would be that it was making traffic worse due to the size of them, even though even a half full bus obviously takes up much less space than the equivalent number of car passengers.

Before I could drive I got the train and bus from Uttoxeter a few times and it wasn't ideal but it was ok, but the service seems a lot worse now. I avoid driving as much as possible and would absolutely love to be able to use public transport instead, and considering what the roads are like round the park I'm sure a lot of other people would.

One compromise might be that if the bypass gets built and we get year round opening, maybe limit the bypass to buses and coaches, at least during peak season?

Bring back Alton Station imo

Out of interest, which mainline station are you referring to?

As far as I can see, the closest railway stations appear to be Uttoxeter and Blythe Bridge, which are both at least 10 miles away and both appear to only run more local services.

I'm referring to Stoke.

When Alton Towers Transport had express buses from Stoke station using double deckers, I think around 2005 maybe, it was around 35-45 minutes. That's a total journey time of 1.5 hours from Manchester, a touch more from Birmingham.

That's not far off Central London to Thorpe Park timings. It's entirely possible to sell a proper day out, and even more so a resort stay, to the huge amount of people in their catchment area without access to a car, if they fully utilised Stoke as a hub for transport to the park.

Last edited:
Looked at the Liverpool one out of interest, leaves the city centre at 8am and then somehow will take 1 hour and 40 minutes before it departs from Warrington. Be lucky to get to Alton Towers for 11am.

Birmingham
Depart 08:00
Arrive 11:25
Leaves Park 17:00

Manchester
Arrive 10:55

London (Edgeware)
Arrive 11:35

(Arrival times based on Google Map directions for Saturday mornings, from the last advertised pick-up point)

Add 'getting in' to the park time, and leaving ride areas to make sure to get to the coach in time, and lunch - it's a few hours of rides for £64.50 per person. On a busy Saturday (they only run on Saturdays), where a 60 minute queue at 15:30 would be a massive risk...

No ta