• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Public Transport Thread

I live in Manchester and never understood why there wasn't a bus from Manchester on the weekends. But no you have to to get a train to either Stoke or Stafford and then get a bus.

Getting to Blackpool from Manchester is super easy. Regular direct trains from Piccadilly. Northern have even got some new trains recently that doesn't smell of vomit.

I live in Manchester and never understood why there wasn't a bus from Manchester on the weekends. But no you have to to get a train to either Stoke or Stafford and then get a bus.

Getting to Blackpool from Manchester is super easy. Regular direct trains from Piccadilly. Northern have even got some new trains recently that doesn't smell of vomit.
Manchester to Towers via Stoke is basically the same time as Manchester to Towers direct, so they could even connect both cities with one bus.

...but Manchester to Stoke by train is faster than by bus/coach, so you'd be better off getting the bus from Stoke anyway (subject to connection times). Why duplicate what is already an excellent high-speed public transport route?

A key issue with Towers transport is that there's no obvious main hub to run services to - Stoke isn't much closer than Derby but both are too far to run a frequent shuttle service in the vein of Thorpe's 950 bus. As a result we're stuck with a seemingly random selection of once a day services to a range of towns that are of little use to anyone travelling from other locations and have limited scope for expansion.

I guess for some areas the "all-inclusive" coach trip serves for a lot of people who don't/can't drive?

Although having done a quick google there are a lot of companies in Scotland offering trips but I don't see many others.

Last time I visited Towers in the summer, I didnt have a car at the time and ended up renting one as was cheaper and easier than getting public transport from Salford!

...but Manchester to Stoke by train is faster than by bus/coach, so you'd be better off getting the bus from Stoke anyway (subject to connection times). Why duplicate what is already an excellent high-speed public transport route?

A key issue with Towers transport is that there's no obvious main hub to run services to - Stoke isn't much closer than Derby but both are too far to run a frequent shuttle service in the vein of Thorpe's 950 bus. As a result we're stuck with a seemingly random selection of once a day services to a range of towns that are of little use to anyone travelling from other locations and have limited scope for expansion.
Indeed, Stoke is a good hub as it's easily accessible from Manchester and Crewe (for the WCML). I feel a simple daily service from Nottingham (via Derby) and from Stoke to Towers would be sufficient, but crucially it should arrive before park opening.

Its a faff having to get a train then wait around for a bus. With all the standing around waiting I'm not sure I do save time rather than if I went direct from Manchester. Also "excellent high-speed public transport" surely can't be applied to anything in the UK.

I agree its easier to rent a car to drive from Manchester than using a mixture of public transport.

I'll be honest I prefer going to Stafford, even though it takes longer its so much nicer if you are standing around waiting for a bus. The area around Stoke station is grim while Stafford has a lovely park you can sit and wait in.

Its a faff having to get a train then wait around for a bus. With all the standing around waiting I'm not sure I do save time rather than if I went direct from Manchester. Also "excellent high-speed public transport" surely can't be applied to anything in the UK.
TFL in London.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

There's a fairly frequent service between Manchester and Stoke with services taking either 36 or 55 minutes. Considering the car journey is over an hour, a train to Stoke then a bus to Towers is going to be quicker than a bus all the way. Kind of a moot point though as there isn't even a bus from Stoke this year I don't think? The previous one was very poorly timed too for rail connections and arrived a good bit after opening.

There's a fairly frequent service between Manchester and Stoke with services taking either 36 or 55 minutes. Considering the car journey is over an hour, a train to Stoke then a bus to Towers is going to be quicker than a bus all the way. Kind of a moot point though as there isn't even a bus from Stoke this year I don't think? The previous one was very poorly timed too for rail connections and arrived a good bit after opening.
Unlike Sullivan with the 950 for THORPE, D&G didn't hold the bus if the train due just before departure was running a couple minutes late.

I think a bus between Manchester and Towers would be quicker given the poor match up in the connection considering you do spend a while standing around waiting for the bus.

Interesting to see the the Stoke service has been cut. I do agree its annoying that it arrives so late.

I think a bus between Manchester and Towers would be quicker given the poor match up in the connection considering you do spend a while standing around waiting for the bus.

Interesting to see the the Stoke service has been cut. I do agree its annoying that it arrives so late.
I'm not sure if it's been cut as in they don't plan on doing it any time this year or if it's just not important enough to run right now.

TFL in London.

Not when I lived in London. Slow, frequently downtime, old musty trains etc and its hardly fast. I suppose at at push I might give some praise to Eurostar but the UK has very poor quality public transport. I suppose "at least its there" is the highest compliment you can give it. Northern Rail have now trains between Manchester and Blackpool/Preston so that's good since they don't smell anymore.

There just needs to be some integration and the connection wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately the Crewe to Stoke line is only hourly but as there's a frequent Manchester to Stoke service, I don't think a bus service that roughly lines up with one of the Crewe to Stoke services is too much to ask for?

Not when I lived in London. Slow, frequently downtime, old musty trains etc and its hardly fast. I suppose at at push I might give some praise to Eurostar but the UK has very poor quality public transport. I suppose "at least its there" is the highest compliment you can give it. Northern Rail have now trains between Manchester and Blackpool/Preston so that's good since they don't smell anymore.

This is getting off the AT topic, but TfL probably does run the most frequent reliable service in the country. You can turn up and get an Underground train within a few minutes. Yes they are slow, because there are so many stops which is what makes the Underground convenient. Most of the musty trains have been replaced (just the Bakerloo line are ancient) and more are coming soon.

Yeah, I'm no fan of TfL just seen too many vastly superior public transport systems run overseas.

Anyway, the issue with the integration is of course this relies on the trains not being delayed causing you to miss the bus. Its obviously better to take a much earlier train and wait around for a while than to chance one that doesn't give you much time between.

Public transport update.

The D&G bus linking Stafford/Uttoxeter and Alton Towers starts running again daily from 27th July.