• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Shoutbox

TheMan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
NemiLerVion
OK a very brief post, I just got stuck into a big debate, which happens quite frequently in ShoutBox regardless of whether I am near it or not ;D

Joel rightly suggested, a topic be created or take it into a private conversation to keep the shoutbox free. However, a point was made that it stifles the spontaneity and ease of debate.

The fact is, I find the SB works on many levels, no one had been in for hours, and it is 2:20 in the morning - in this case I don't think it was necessarily warranted to intervene. However, as a general rule, I do understand the point being made.

The thing is though, there are times people just do post a couple of random things in the SB, and nothing happens - there is a fine balance to be achieved here, and I would very much like this to be embraced more in general.

There are times I am sat here working away, and the shoutbox is going barmy, either in debate, comedy, geeking out, music, football - always in a spontaneous fashion.

Perhaps rather than limiting what the shoutbox can do, it is time to realise this is how many people on the site choose to debate and talk, and somehow try and make this a more focal aspect of the page.

It is convenient, conducive to fantastic spontaneity, very lively and frankly entertaining.

No matter how hard you try, that will never happen in threads.

Of course, I will bold this as on occasions people have taken my thoughts out of context:

I completely respect the sites decisions, it is merely my opinion upon observation, and the fact I think it should be further embraced, does not mean I do not understand the teams very valid reasons for their present view on it.

I am simply interested in the teams views on what I have said, and any members who may either enjoy getting stuck in on there, or whom feel they cannot because it can get so busy in there. Nowt more, nowt less.

;D

;)

The shoutbox isn't really intended to be a chatroom though, it is only intended for small banter, we have TowersStreet Chat for that sort of thing.
Messages disappear off the screen after a short period of time and therefore nobody else will understand what the context of the conversation is, which can look a bit intimidating to some people.

Personally, I am very much against the shoutbox taking discussion away from the actual forum. Everyones posts in the shoutbox get removed after a certain number of messages and surely its best that people's viewpoints are stored on the forum for however long the database is around?

If everyone only ever discuss topics in the shoutbox, we will never have any new posts on the actual forum.

I agree entirely Wilsy. I explained, in the shoutbox lol, that the reason I use that is because it is easy to F5 the crap outa the site for updates ;D so it feels a natural extension, and the spontaneity is great.

A shame they can't be integrated somehow, so you can note your main points but debate them conveniently in real time with your mates on here.

I think the shoutbox has taken that role at present, quite often people will discuss something then take their considered written out opinion and post/make a thread about it.

Great to be talking about how active and lively something is though, rather than "why does this never get used!"

One thing is for certain, it is very popular!

This post is perhaps not as this topic was intended for... but... I can't seem to post anything in the shoutbox. Every time I click the enter button or 'send', my message disappears as if it's been posted but nothing reappears in the posted section.

Am I the only one having this problem?

Is it a bug?

Have I been blocked? :p

YOU'VE BEEN BLOCKED.

...no, urm, it's not working for us either. So either one of the team's doing some sneaky work behind the scenes, or they soon will be!

Either way hopefully normal operation will resume shortly :)

Craig said:
There's always chat as an alternative :p

*Pulls on tinfoil hat*

So that is what this is all about? Getting people to use chat? You sicken me.

*Removes tinfoil hat*

What! This means we have to debate and talk about football in the actual topics. Blasphemy.

Me personally, not paying as much attention to the site now, had my focused posts.

Definitely lacks energy without the regular shout box chaos in all its forms, debate, footy, daftness, or general ease of greeting your online pals.

Not there makes me realise how important that has been in keeping me this active in the forum, and indeed, getting to know everyone far quicker and easier.

Feels half a site without it at the moment.

Joel will fix it, but as has been alluded to a few times non of us are full-time here. I believe he said he was going to look at it tonight.

I personally am not a big fan of the shout box as I feel it pulls discussion away from the forums, its origional intention being for frivolous chat and shout outs (hence its name) yet yesterday a huge debate on Merlin Floatations occurred and was lost there instead of being recorded on the forum.

I would hope when it comes back people use it as it was intended but the way a site is used is dependant on how members want to use it so I accept however that happens.

But as said I imagine the old shout box will be back some point tonight when Joel gets a chance to look at it.

It may not be the way the shoutbox was intended to be used, but it is the way it is used now. Why fight it? The use of the shoutbox has changed, there's no denying, so why try to stop it evolving? It's become a key part of the site for lots of people and is now surely an integral part of the make up of the site because of the freedom it gives? If the shoutbox is more like the debatebox, then so be it.

I'm all for things evolving - it's just think it's a shame to have some damn good points made in there and for them to be lost without giving others chance to participate because they weren't online at the time :).

I love shoutbox, Glad it's not just me, Couldn't see my posts last night, and now the entire shoutbox is blank...

This is clearly some kind of ploy to make people use chat more! :p

:)

it isn't as i'm no fan of chat either and if that was the case i would sulk until Joel coudn't take it anymore.

I do genuinely think people should consider the forum when having genuine debates as it allows more people to join in but shoutbox will return i am sure.

The reason it's blank is because I tried (and failed) to fix it ;). Awaiting Joel to sort it now :p

Is it wrong I secretly hope its broken and gone to the towers street in the sky?