• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

I've ridden Oblivion countless times so my fear of the ride has long gone. The only ride I get remotely nervous about now days is Rita. Intamin launch coasters are so intense it takes me a lot longer to prepare myself for it. Oblivion is an enjoyable and fun force, whereas I find Rita and stealth a bit uncomfortable at times
Ah I absolutely love Rita, the launch is lovely and it’s not particularly high up in the air or anything so my brain does not even panic about it haha

It appears that the accident is still making headline news nearly 7 years on, as the announcement that two of the crash victims are now engaged has gone fairly viral: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-60749626.amp

How wonderful for them!
P.S. Sorry this isn’t directly Smiler-related; as the accident threads are all long closed, I thought this would be a good place to put it. I find it interesting how the accident is still so fresh in people’s minds, I’ll admit; it was nearly 7 years ago now.

It appears that the accident is still making headline news nearly 7 years on, as the announcement that two of the crash victims are now engaged has gone fairly viral: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-60749626.amp

How wonderful for them!
P.S. Sorry this isn’t directly Smiler-related; as the accident threads are all long closed, I thought this would be a good place to put it. I find it interesting how the accident is still so fresh in people’s minds, I’ll admit; it was nearly 7 years ago now.

“Fresh in peoples minds” is a bit of an overstatement.

It is just a cheap way of dredging up old news to get clicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Also the original story is on the Staffordshire local news pages. Without something to make it go viral no-one outside of Staffordshire would have seen this non-story.

Been looking at the comments on ATs social media posts over the past few days. Literally all everyone cares about is whether or not The Smiler will be open. Crossed fingers !

How wonderful for them!
Congrats to them both. Nice to see a positive news story when every other appears to be death and destruction!

Like it or not, the accident won’t leave anyones mind soon, it was one of the biggest domestic news stories of the decade.

The Smiler is probably the safest ride in the park now, but it will never lose its stigma.

Also the original story is on the Staffordshire local news pages. Without something to make it go viral no-one outside of Staffordshire would have seen this non-story.

This is the problem, the smiler accident kept getting revisited as an army of geeks angrily descended onto any news post to comment T angrily. Therefore the news companies made money on advertising clicks, so from their perspective it made sense to keep running the story.

Sorry but the only group responsible for the longevity of that day in 2015 are the fans of Alton Towers.

This is the problem, the smiler accident kept getting revisited as an army of geeks angrily descended onto any news post to comment T angrily. Therefore the news companies made money on advertising clicks, so from their perspective it made sense to keep running the story.

Sorry but the only group responsible for the longevity of that day in 2015 are the fans of Alton Towers.

Its a BBC article so not making money from it. Not sure it is the geeks that are the issue. More so the rgular visitors with morbid curiosity.

In fairness I don't think much of the general public would know who they were unless the news article referenced The Smiler accident.

It baffles me why people are confused about this. Like it or not, said person is in the public sphere, the reason that she is in the public sphere is because the park screwed up and she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's a human interest story that is bound to get interest and clicks.

As we have discussed earlier in the thread, it doesn't take much to be famous these days. In the same way, if a former Love Island contestant is in the news, it'll reference Love Island because that's the genesis of their so called fame.

Its a BBC article so not making money from it. Not sure it is the geeks that are the issue. More so the rgular visitors with morbid curiosity.

The BBC just follow the trend set by the click bate fed by “viewer interaction” fuelled by “geek anger”

The Smiler has been continuously testing today (spotted via Dimmingsdale Forest), but apparently solo shot fast tracks are not available for it.

EDIT: yeah, no solo fast track available for it - but there isn’t for TH13TEEN either. Not sure whether TH13TEEN usually has solos available anyway but The Smiler is not available to buy.

EDIT: yeah, no solo fast track available for it - but there isn’t for TH13TEEN either. Not sure whether TH13TEEN usually has solos available anyway but The Smiler is not available to
Could be a huge indication that tbh. Will be a shame if it's not available but regardless I hope everyone enjoys it tommorow in the beautiful weather