• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

Well currently with operations it has the highest. Based on the number of trains things are running on:
Oblivion 5 (28 dispatches ×2=56 trains= 896pph)
Wicker man 3 (35-37 dispatches=840-888pph)
Th13teen 2 (32-34 = 640-680pph)
Rita 2 (33-35= 660-700pph)
Galactica 2 (23-25= 644-700pph)
Smiler 4 (56-58= 896-928pph)

So you are suggesting an Oblivion dispatch every 2 minutes?

I think your numbers are a bit out.

Well currently with operations it has the highest. Based on the number of trains things are running on:
Oblivion 5 (28 dispatches ×2=56 trains= 896pph)
Wicker man 3 (35-37 dispatches=840-888pph)
Th13teen 2 (32-34 = 640-680pph)
Rita 2 (33-35= 660-700pph)
Galactica 2 (23-25= 644-700pph)
Smiler 4 (56-58= 896-928pph)
That’s a little off, by my reckoning. I can’t speak for every occasion, but I timed Wicker Man at 1,006pph this morning, and that seems pretty indicative of most other experiences I’ve had on there.

So you are suggesting an Oblivion dispatch every 2 minutes?

I think your numbers are a bit out.
They're not exactly fast with ops. And even if Oblivion and wicker are slightly higher than smiler, that still leaves the other 3 coasters. That means Smiler still has one of the higher throughputs

They're not exactly fast with ops. And even if Oblivion and wicker are slightly higher than smiler, that still leaves the other 3 coasters. That means Smiler still has one of the higher throughputs

Had Smiler ran on 4 trains this season?

That throughput is actually pretty good for The Smiler, so I assume that is why the queues have been smaller than normal so far this year.
Apparently it's the worst out of the big coasters. I don't think so. That's definitely Rita or Galactica

Apparently it's the worst out of the big coasters. I don't think so. That's definitely Rita or Galactica

You passive aggressiveness is fun, I like it.

Couple of points though:

1) You are making your calculation using the maximum numbers of trains that run on Smiler but not giving Galactica the same credit. It may not be running by 3 trains today but Smiler doesn’t run 4 trains every day either. You did the same with Th13teen.

2) As Matt said Smiler is achieving an average of 865pph, I think you can argue Rita probably averages below that but it’s not much in it. Rita also always has hyper inflated queues compared to its actual popularity.

It’s laughable that people on these forums now think 850pph is a good throughput, anything below 1000 an hour is not good enough quite frankly. It’s also amusing that the concrete hell queue is ignored by Smiler fans.

in general the smilers operations have been on the worse side for many years but with the baggage hold return AND running 4 trains, AND some other coasters not running on full capacity at the moment, it puts the smiler quite high on throughput compared to other rollercoasters!! good to see the smiler operating on 4 fairly often so far this season!

1) You are making your calculation using the maximum numbers of trains that run on Smiler but not giving Galactica the same credit. It may not be running by 3 trains today but Smiler doesn’t run 4 trains every day either. You did the same with Th13teen.
My calculations are based on operations right now that's correct. Galactica is on 2 craft more in the season that it is on 3 so no point me basing Galactica off its maximum capacity as it rarely reaches it. As for Rita, you'd be lucky now days if it dispatched more than 38 trains per hour. That's 760pph, which is still 100 less than the throughput @Matt N recorded for Smiler today

My calculations are based on operations right now that's correct. Galactica is on 2 craft more in the season that it is on 3 so no point me basing Galactica off its maximum capacity as it rarely reaches it. As for Rita, you'd be lucky now days if it dispatched more than 38 trains per hour. That's 760pph, which is still 100 less than the throughput @Matt N recorded for Smiler today

And smiler is on 3 trains more often than it is on 4… you can take the normal operating model or the maximum operating model but you can’t take the maximum for one ride then the normal for another and make a comparison.

And both me and Josh agreed with you that actually you can probably say Rita is worse.

Regardless of throughputs, if I was to make an assessment of popularity from what I've seen over the years I'd say the rough order is:
1. Wicker man
2. Smiler
3. Th13teen
4. Galactica
5. Rita
6. Nemesis
7. Oblivion

Know it’s been mentioned but The Smiler looks absolutely disgusting. Whole thing needs hitting with a pressure washer. It’s so noticeable as well, the netting, track, supports are all green.

Can’t believe towers are having an “event” based around a ride that looks so filthy.

Know it’s been mentioned but The Smiler looks absolutely disgusting. Whole thing needs hitting with a pressure washer. It’s so noticeable as well, the netting, track, supports are all green.

Can’t believe towers are having an “event” based around a ride that looks so filthy.
because theyve left it for so long, it needs a proper clean, like close it and clean it sort of thing tbf. and it needs more than a jet wash in needs contact cleaning now so like scrubbing and stuff along with replacing nets and potentially putting a new queue floor in with a slight angle to it or something which i'm sure would be fun and easy for merlin to do?🫣😞

Yes. It's interesting to see which rides are more popular with the public
And last time there was a public vote - one that was conducted on park with non-enthusiasts - Nemesis won.

Now this *was* before Wickerman and Smiler, so being generous you could argue they take 1st and 2nd place, it still wouldn’t put Nemesis in 6th place. Similarly, Oblivion also came 2nd.

You can have your opinions but it isn’t one that holds water against a majority