• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

Just thought work had stalled through flooding for a couple of months...First I have heard of any of that...I stand corrected.

You can't currently buy any fast track for this, so it's either all sold out despite being closed or it's not going to open today at all.

You can't currently buy any fast track for this, so it's either all sold out despite being closed or it's not going to open today at all.
The 1 ride I came for you couldn't write it🤣
Edit: Could just be sold out for the reaming time slots tbf because there isn't any left for any of the other rides either

The 1 ride I came for you couldn't write it🤣
This is why it's not always a good idea to go to a park just for one particular attraction, because there's a chance that it could be unavailable, thus making your day not worth it. If you come for the park in general and not just one ride, you'll have a better time even if something you really want to ride is closed. 🙂

This is why it's not always a good idea to go to a park just for one particular attraction, because there's a chance that it could be unavailable, thus making your day not worth it. If you come for the park in general and not just one ride, you'll have a better time even if something you really want to ride is closed. 🙂
I've ridden it plenty in my life I'm sure I can deal with it. I do enjoy the other coasters but I can't be bothered with queues which is my own fault🤣 suppose I'll get a few goes on Curse as it really has grown on me

You know, I do wonder if the issue is a flooding one rather than a technical one. We all know what The Smiler's queue line is like, and the amount of rainfall overnight and into this morning has been pretty substantial.

Queue looks alright. It's usual wet self. Trains are stacked outside and I think it's highly unlikely it'll open.
Edit: Actually I've changed my mind I think it'll be open at some point. It won't be on 4 though as one of the trains is on the track next to the brake

Last edited:
I’m sure its been a flooding issue, they were pumping water out of the pit and into the Oblivion pond earlier today. A staff member has had a hose filling up dummies on the train in the last half an hour.
711d90b2b02b09c9b574c46e7af2937e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
You know this has worked out perfectly thinking about. Smiler opens late, absolutely everyone goes to it once it's open and that keeps the queues down for the other rides. I'll do some of the others when Smiler has it's rush and then head to Smiler at the end of the day

That picture makes you realise just what disgusting condition it's in.
I do wonder what the park and merlin actually think or have planned for this rides future, it’s in a hell of a state. Makes you wonder wether they are just keeping it at its minimal safe operating condition for as long as they can and spending the minimal amount of money they can until a premature removal. It’s been a headache from day one for them I think. Probably is going to be a recurring discussion this year and we don’t really have any idea on it’s future. I’m going to be bring a friend I met abroad to the park soon who has never visited a uk park, and im almost embarrassed to show him The Smiler 😂

I do wonder what the park and merlin actually think or have planned for this rides future, it’s in a hell of a state. Makes you wonder wether they are just keeping it at its minimal safe operating condition for as long as they can and spending the minimal amount of money they can until a premature removal. It’s been a headache from day one for them I think. Probably is going to be a recurring discussion this year and we don’t really have any idea on it’s future. I’m going to be bring a friend I met abroad to the park soon who has never visited a uk park, and im almost embarrassed to show him The Smiler 😂

A few years ago they definitely wanted rid of it, I do wonder if increasing the Smiler profile on the events this year is a test to see if the general upset around the ride post incident has receded. In which case it might get investment.

A few years ago they definitely wanted rid of it, I do wonder if increasing the Smiler profile on the events this year is a test to see if the general upset around the ride post incident has receded. In which case it might get investment.
Surely the upset around the ride would reduce if they put investment into it, showing that Towers cared about the maintenance of The Smiler in order to prevent another accident?

Surely the upset around the ride would reduce if they put investment into it, showing that Towers cared about the maintenance of The Smiler in order to prevent another accident?

You can throw money at something and it still not work out. It's best to invest a little to get gauge of the situation as opposed to going all out sand getting no gain.

Personally I think it's done.

The problem with The Smiler is it needs a large investment. Every job on the coaster itself is amplified by it's sheer length and other issues like the pit are seriously expensive to fix.

I never knew it was known they wanted it gone. I don’t blame them. I honestly see it as a mistake allowing gerstlauer anywhere near this project (and obviously they and the team constructing it made plenty of errors along the way) They have never had a good record of their coasters aging well, I know intamin have their issues too but they definitely would have been my pick for this, but again I bet it came down to cost. Rip the thing down when financially viable or if it gets it’s record taken, get a fantastic Intamin Swing launch in there and move on from the incident and it’s implications completely.

That's exactly what I've been thinking also. It's a little like my current car. My car is about 14 years old now and actually still looks pretty decent and just passed its MOT with no advisories. Will I spend any money to do extra stuff to to it though, apart from a £6 car wash every few months and the usual stuff like tyres & brakes etc? No. Basically because I know that at some point in the next few years something is going to break on it that's going to cost a lot of money to fix and because it's old anyway I'm not going to be keen to spend a lot of money to fix it. I'll just change my car at that point.

If I was guessing I'd think some at Towers have a similar attitude to The Smiler. It's got a chequered history anyway (to say the least) and sits on a prime piece of land to stick a nicely sized new ride on. I doubt it will be around for as long as most other coasters at Towers.