• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

Strange how we end the season how it began. Plagued by problems, closed, with very little information being shared with the public.

Surely it cannot open today?

hobohippie95 said:
Scott said:
Pretty appalling. Could have been worse had they not installed those nets too.

But the thing is they shouldn't need the nets.
Well, they do in theory. The nets would have been to protect the queue from anything that might fall from riders - much like the nets over Rita's queue. Ironically they've caught bolts and washers rather than the odd phone and wallet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Alastair said:
Guide wheels? Pretty dubious explanation, there's no way that any wheels could fall off a train and hit someone on the same train.

It could've been in an inversion? Or at a duelling point and hit someone on another train?

It means guide wheels from the vertical lift, but they obviously haven't used the correct term for them. It is, as far as I know, something to do with the vertical lift, hence why workers were seen inspecting it this morning.

cotda said:
Alastair said:
Guide wheels? Pretty dubious explanation, there's no way that any wheels could fall off a train and hit someone on the same train.

It could've been in an inversion? Or at a duelling point and hit someone on another train?

The trains don't duel anymore though since they started running 5 at once? And even if a wheel fallen off on an inversion, it would be near impossible for it to hit someone on the same train.

No, I assume they mean rubber spacers/guide wheels on the vertical lift, which is pretty much what we have been saying all along.

GaryH said:
The Bruiser

The secret element has finally revealed itself!

But in all seriousness, this is just bad. Hopefully there are no more injuries. This coaster is already starting to gain an infamous reputation. I hope thou that was injured gets a full refund and not just a god damn fastrack! Still thou, at least it does not have vortex's restraints, which have injured god knows how many.

Just close the ride until next year. It's obviously not in a fit state to operate. There's just been way too many serious problems with it.

This is a disaster for AT.

I am waiting for a personal injury company to have an advert say "Have you been Injured whist riding or waiting to ride the smiler. If so call We sue anyone free on........"

Enk27 said:
Slightly off topic but sadly the claims management companies are already ahead of you - http://www.claims4negligence.co.uk/personal-injury/rollercoaster-whiplash/

Back on topic, seem to recall that during the season there was a bit of work to the vertical hill lift. Does anyone know if such work was related to trying to avoid what happened yesterday?

Has Saw ever had anything like this happen?

Thanks very much, morbidly fascinating!

Enk27 said:

The Smiler uses a brand new vertical lift system, so there's nothing to compare this to (if you wanna be picky)

cotda said:
Enk27 said:

The Smiler uses a brand new vertical lift system, so there's nothing to compare this to (if you wanna be picky)

It's obviously been under-designed, though. all professional engineers involved with this ride should be made to re-sit their degrees and struck off the membership list of their professional institutions etc.

Just breaking things up with my little review of The Smiler. Some positive stuff to be said!

I'll get on with the negatives first.

Support Shaking
We all know that supports on roller coasters move. Although seeing The Smiler in person I was rather concerned about just how violently some supports are shaking. Particularly as you leave the shop one of the supports you see in front of you almost looks like it's swaying side to side as trains go around the track! That to me doesn't look normal. I've never seen supports move in such a way before.

Outdoor Queue line
Can we tell off whoever designed this monstrosity please? This for me is the second worst queue line on park (just after Rita). You have no idea where you are at any point of the queue and it seems to go on forever with it never seeming to come nearer the station building! All you see around you is people and the high fences and metal grating above you makes the experience very unpleasant. Add the many mini swimming pools around you and I've had enough with it.

There was the potential to build a great queue line for The Smiler. I just hope with SW8 and future rides there is some more thought put into queue line designs.

Now the positives...

Indoor Queue line
I do love the indoor queue line, it's very nicely done and brings a nice element to the experience before entering the station.

Going negative again, sorry.. the only problem I found was that one projector kept restarting itself every 5 minutes and the others were not aligned properly with the objects on the walls, which leads to the effects not being as visually interesting.

The ride itself
My verdict on The Smiler itself? Pretty amazing! I really enjoyed it on the whole.

I've never been on a Gerst ride before (the shame) so I didn't have any expectations of 'Gerst-ache' prior to riding it. Although I did experience a bit of shoulder battering through some of the inversions. I did leave the ride aching a bit, although honestly I've experienced far worse on older rides! It wasn't that much of a problem for me.

Other than that the ride is really fun. The inversions are dizzying and you have not a single moment to get a grasp of just where you are. The final two corkscrews (are they corkscrews? I'm terrible with knowing ride elements) feel amazing! I didn't find the ride intense however. Just fun. But I think that's the beauty of The Smiler, it's just generally a fun ride and you do leave with a smile on your face!

The next Nemesis? I would say no, at least not in the terms most people are thinking of it. I think both rides aren't meant to be compared as such. They are completely different and offer ride experiences that are both unique to themselves. I like both for different reason. Nemesis for its intensity, The Smiler for its insanity. If we're talking about The Smiler being 'the next Nemesis' in the way of a 'true' Secret Weapon and providing something that cannot be experienced elsewhere then I would say yes, it is the 2013 equivalent of Nemesis.

The Theme
I'm really in love with the theme of The Smiler and this is the first time since Merlin have taken over that I have believed Merlin Studios have created a very unique and interesting theme. It suits Alton Towers very well and it has restored my faith in Candy Holland and Co. developing original concepts.

There's no "since recent restoration" and "the discovery of" crap. It is The Smiler, it is there, deal with it. I just love that.

I like how The Smiler has seamlessly fitted within X Sector and it has finally brought life back to an area that has felt empty and cold for years. It has a coherent theme (well, as coherent as a roller coaster theme can get) which makes sense even if you do not know all the ins and outs.

I just love the soundtrack and visual material for The Smiler. It's far better than Th13teen's and almost hits the top of my list of the best music and visual material the park has to offer. Merlin Studios, Alton Towers, BottleTop and IMA Score should all be proud of the music, visual materials and branding for The Smiler. I hope the partnership with BottleTop and IMA Score stays as both have done a brilliant job with The Smiler. It proves that people with original creativity do still exist out there!

What guide wheels are on the vertical hill though? There is just a chain running up the middle to pull it up, no wheels. The only wheels are on the car itself..... I can't even think of anything at the top of the vertical hill which would have parts like this to fall off ....... Did the guide wheels fall off the car? In which case did the car continue it's journey around the track or was it evacuated from that lift hill???

I agree that it now needs to be shut for the rest of this year..... Before there is a serious accident.

The wheels on the vertical lift are used to keep the chain inside the chain guard I believe. :)

Ill agree with James about the queue line. It is awful down there. The cages and the being in a hole full of water is how can we but this a claustrophobics knightmare. When the ride has stopped and you are just staying there the atmosphere as well is rather a tetchy. Whilst in other rides were you have the great outdoors it isn't as bad.

The indoor queue is rather good. Makes a nice change.

The ride itself. First go smooth as silk. she went round that track without no bumps. I loved the first inversion complete surprise. However ride two. they had just added an extra car to the track and this one was how shall we put this. Awful. It banged and crashed its way around the track given me and the missies aches and pains and her a huge bruise on the shoulder, then the vertical lift hill was judder im sure the car slipped back twice. Defiantly not smooth at all and it felt quiet dangerous.

Im now under the impression with the ride was completed in a hurry. That they over did themselves with the 14 inversions in such a small space. Dare I say this. Should have got rid of enterprise to give themselves a better footing. and also moved the queue lines from the original b lack hole entrance to where the exit is.

cotda said:
Enk27 said:

The only difference is that it doens't have the usual anti-rollback system to keep noise down, it can run the chain moter backwards for escape. I can't see why this should cause so many more issues compared to Saw (Thorpe park) and Speed (Oakwood).

Tom said:
cotda said:
Enk27 said:

It's obviously been under-designed, though. all professional engineers involved with this ride should be made to re-sit their degrees and struck off the membership list of their professional institutions etc.

Obviously?

Okay 3 scenarios that could have done what has happened, as basically something has obstructed the track the wheel run in a sheered them off (they are but plastic).

1) something fell into the trough.... loose article, the corpse of a badly navigating bird

2) poor ground work warps trough as track bends

3) poorly designed system

Only one of those results in "obviously" under engineered and the loss of peoples jobs froma fabrication point of view.

My point is it's all very well sitting behind a computer brandishing the "fire all the evil people" lines but we don't actually know. Things in my experience are never simple, you could easily be right and the engineers are woefully incompetent. Or it could be completely fluked.

bottom line is the thing isn't working, somewhere there is a cause, we wont ever know but Towers need to sort it before it really throws a wobbler!

I'm wondering given the other problems it has had if the ground in that area is sinking - if the track is having undue pressure put upon it by the foundations and is moving, then it could have caused the vertical lift to go slightly "off vertical" and cause those wheels to come out. Obviously, pure speculation, but something obviously isnt right with the ride in that area nearest the toilet block.