• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

That on ride video wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, looking at the camera when you are on the ride it seems most of the time it doesn't film you, but it wasn't bad. They weren't working when I went last week, but I guess they are now!

Also in regards to the queue, on my three visits this season I have queued up using four different queue line options :p I think the staff do it to confuse you before you have even got on the ride!

The reliability gremlins were back this afternoon ... hope they can get it sorted for Easter! Multiple breakdowns and an announcement that the occupants of the last train of the day were waiting for an evacuation team to rescue them from their train (not sure where they were stuck, but I was stuck in the underground tunnel twice on the first brake block this afternoon)

Apart from this I got lots of rides in today and the more I ride the smiler the more I love it ... but one train still feels like it's got square wheels! Get that sorted and you're laughing/smiling! :p

I'm genuinely concerned for The Smiler and it's down time
I know new rides have their problems and can suffer issues while they're breaking in, but we're Into the second season and there are just as many breakdowns as there were least year.. minus a few stalls.

I'd have hoped Gerst paid a visit over the winter to tweak and refine the damn thing with a view to fewer problems.. It just doesn't seem to be happening!

GaryH said:
Didnt Air have problems though for the first 2 years until it finally settled down?

True it had it's ups and downs, but that was brand new technology when it was unveiled over twelve years ago. There isn't truly anything ground breaking on The Smiler. It is essentially just two eurofighters stuck together. The problems it has had and is having shouldn't be as extensive as they are. Particularity so soon after closed season.

With regards headbanging, it must be a train issue again, as I thought I had one of the best rides ever the other Monday.

The restraints really are smelly this season. Mine reeked of antiseptic for the most part.

LiamC said:
GaryH said:
Didnt Air have problems though for the first 2 years until it finally settled down?

True it had it's ups and downs, but that was brand new technology when it was unveiled over twelve years ago. There isn't truly anything ground breaking on The Smiler. It is essentially just two eurofighters stuck together. The problems it has had and is having shouldn't be extensive as they are. Particularity so soon after closed season.

The anti rollback system is brand new and never done by any manufacturer before. It's not a big ride experience point but it's very different to the norm.

Dave said:
LiamC said:
GaryH said:

True it had it's ups and downs, but that was brand new technology when it was unveiled over twelve years ago. There isn't truly anything ground breaking on The Smiler. It is essentially just two eurofighters stuck together. The problems it has had and is having shouldn't be extensive as they are. Particularity so soon after closed season.

The anti rollback system is brand new and never done by any manufacturer before. It's not a big ride experience point but it's very different to the norm.

The anti-rollback system is overly technical! :p Air was completely new and ground breaking technology.

The Smiler's continued reliability issues are concerning. I believe they were having issues with the restraints last season and that was causing some of the downtime. You'd like to think Gerstlauer might have sorted that out over the closed season.

:)

Rob said:
Dave said:
LiamC said:
GaryH said:

The anti-rollback system is overly technical! :p Air was completely new and ground breaking technology.

The Smiler's continued reliability issues are concerning. I believe they were having issues with the restraints last season and that was causing some of the downtime. You'd like to think Gerstlauer might have sorted that out over the closed season.

:)

Vertical lifts are horrible to evacuate, they needed a way of reversing a lift and this is probably the best way of doing it as traditional anti-roll backs wont let you.

Oblivion, Air, Th13teen and Rita all struggled through their first couple of seasons and especially at the beginning of each season. It's nothing new.

They need to sort out the square wheeled train though!

BigDave said:
Restraints not opening in the station is causing problems this year.

YOU BELONG TO THE SMILER is taking on a whole different meaning now then.

I have to say, having been at the park today, and with The Smiler being walk on for the majority of the day, I have come to the following conclusion about each trains roughness:

Train 1: Smoothest
Train 2: Smooth
Train 3: Was not in service today
Train 4: Rough but not rattly
Train 5: Roughest and incredibly strong rattle and vibrations

Also, may I add, I did not see The Smiler breakdown at all today, not even a minor one.

The thing is if you can have three trains running smooth there is no earthly reason that the other two should be rough as hell. They need to fix it as the bad train horrid.

I completely agree Dave. If you get stuck with the bad train it can really negatively impact your experience. I don't honestly see why this wasn't sorted over the closed season as surely the trains haven't gotten that bad in just a few weeks of operation this year.

It seems like they just re-enforced the top half of the site and left everything else... the trains should be sorted really. If you're a first time rider and end up with a bad train it doesn't leave a great impression.

The advert is appearing more again on television-I've seen it twice on two ad breaks on E4. Must be pushing it for ''Spring Break''.

James said:
It seems like they just re-enforced the top half of the site and left everything else... the trains should be sorted really. If you're a first time rider and end up with a bad train it doesn't leave a great impression.

You could say the same thing for a lot of rides unfortunately...

Dunno why such an issue exists though really, it's a strange situation that happens worldwide...

James said:

This is exactly why, ridonkulous queues aside, I've been reluctant to ride it. I'm terrible for overcoming first ride fear but I'm so torn between wanting to go on The Smiler and fearing the train roulette! What does this come down to? Wear and tear? Loose fittings?

allyallyally47 said:
James said:

This is exactly why, ridonkulous queues aside, I've been reluctant to ride it. I'm terrible for overcoming first ride fear but I'm so torn between wanting to go on The Smiler and fearing the train roulette! What does this come down to? Wear and tear? Loose fittings?

Seriously, even bad train guaranteed I'd still ride it. I had a 3 15 min queue for my first by the time I got to it I was fed up, and to be honest, absolutely crapping it!

First ride nerves make them more exciting for me, if I didn't get that pang of excitement I don't know why I'd ride.

So my advice, (others can do the tech thing lol) is even if you get the bad train, it's way better than not riding it. It is a fantastic coaster despite Gerst/Towers/Builders whoever it was doing their best to ruin it lol!