• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

This is a pretty good version someone has done

Actually, I've just listened to this again and realised this rendition would work fantastically as a soundtrack on silent black & white off-ride footage made to look like 1920s film, just like the really old silent films

I think the music fits the theme quite well. The problem is that the theme wasn't massively well represented when the ride first opened, let alone now after the various changes that were made to it.

My main issue with the ride is that it goes against what X-Sector was originally intended to be; a secret government facility. I can't think of a less secretive ride in the park. I don't find the ride to be particularly rough, I think the layout is okay and the concept of the theme is very interesting, but the park does nothing to try and convey that. I just wish that the ride tried more to tie in with Oblivion and the overall area, but instead it's presented no better than a slightly upmarket fairground ride (okay, that might be a bit harsh but you get the idea).

For me The Smiler theme is the one that best fits the area it has been added to out of all the Merlin additions.

If we can suspend reality enough to believe that X-Sector is a secret government facility then it’s not much of a stretch to imagine that there is a ‘Ministry of Joy’ that has created a method of making people Smile. :)

The 'Ministry of Joy' theme comprises a boring sign that nobody reads and some text on some screens, it's barely a theme really. The most entertaining parts of the ride's theme is its wildness and the industrial vibe, it fits the disorientating ride really well and the black steel everywhere.

Unfortunately it just isn't enough, the rest the area is so bad and really detracts from what's otherwise a fun coaster. The Marmaliser is a great idea, but you can see how many budget cuts it had to go from the intention to reality, in the end it just gets lost in the ride track and looks so cheap. The screen is pretty good though.

I also agree that the ha ha ha thing and all the screaming is overkill, but otherwise it's a really good soundtrack that suits the ride perfectly!

I need help!!!! (Not just in the head lol)
Does anyone know if the barcodes for the game are still in place? or have any photos of them
I did take pictures but ive lost them over the last few years any help would be awesome thanks guys^^

I need help!!!! (Not just in the head lol)
Does anyone know if the barcodes for the game are still in place? or have any photos of them
I did take pictures but ive lost them over the last few years any help would be awesome thanks guys^^
I'm pretty sure they were completely removed following the 2015 incident, but I'll let someone else confirm.

I'm pretty sure they were completely removed following the 2015 incident, but I'll let someone else confirm.
Thank you hopefully not^^ but last time as i recall i couldn't see them so you could be right but i wasnt really looking, as i lost the game on my old phone, so lost evetything but now ive the game again yayy
I just hope Someone will have a photo of them or ill be incomplete with the game crys^^

You see the odd person on socials whenever theres an article about Alton, but it is very much in the minority now who won't let it stay in the past

Several newspapers still mention it in every article about Towers though, which irks the heck out of me when I see it. :mad: