• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

highqualitybob

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Th13teen / The Smiler
i kind of know ministry of joy and marmalisation but i can't find any more good info. help.

There isn't a lot to it unfortunately. It was very rushed.
I'm guessing the aim of the theming was to create a dystopian metropolis feel of an orwellian nature. There are a lot of mass surveillance symbols like cameras everywhere, and mind control attempts through all the different uses of machinery to attempt to make the people constantly in a state of happiness.
Had more tare been taken to the queue line and station, it could of been made a lot better. A hospital section containing mad scientists and offices with evil government bureaucrat animatronics inside the station building would of made it a great ride experience throughout.

The Smiler lore is quite scattered around. Have you watched the 'Smile. Always.' YouTube series? It's a series of short episodes each about 5 minutes long. They follow two teenagers who try and create a film for a school project about the MOJ experiments and a man who went missing during them, from what I remember. If you're looking for lore, that's the best place. If you just search Smile Always into YouTube, it's on the Alton Towers official account so it shouldn't be too hard to find :p Hope I helped.

(Edit)> It's also worth noting that the other rides in the X-Sector tie into the MOJ experiments aswell, they're all different experiments.You can find that on the Alton Towers website. :)

The only thing that really ties the story together was The Sanctuary scare maze. That's long gone and there isn't much info online about it.

Another ride backstory lost in time unfortunately. Now just a random collection of steel and yellow paint with the odd smiling face here and there.