• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Sub Terra Appreciation Thread

Jables

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Stormforce 10
I personally think Sub Terra is a great addition
to the park! I love the story, the setting, the Phalanx
Operatives, the scare maze thing at the end! The
theming is great and all in all a great addition to the
Forbidden Valley!

I know Sub Terra gets knocked by some members of the general public
because its not like Nemmy itself or the old "it's not good
cause it's not a coaster" approach.

What are you guys' thoughts on it?

Well, it's the ride in the park that scares me the most, so I would call it successful. I just think the story, actors and lighting make it a very intense experience.

Although, the prodders are horrendous. I hate them.

It is a well executed ride, and the staff play their parts brilliantly. however it is not my cup of tea.

Have to agree with the prodders, I didn't think
I was the only one who sat with my back and legs
forward.

Ah well, whatever floats your boat!

I love it! The story, the sequencing, the themeing, the staff, the effects. It's a brilliant attraction.

Okay before May last year, it was pretty w***, but after Towers sorted it out and added the "scare corridor" it was fantastic; I came out of it on my first ride of the update, shaking!

Fantastic addition! Very underrated in my opinion.

I have an undeniable soft spot for Sub-Terra, purely because I love the concept but find the realisation to be awful! It's not as terrible as it was when it first opened, goodness how it was a proverbial mess then, but it's just so unintentionally bad that it's good.

The overall plot doesn't make sense, for example.

Why would you show visitors an extra-terrestrial egg when you know it's dangerous?
Why do the Phalanx treat the public so poorly when they're the ones inviting them down to basement level to see an egg?
What's the point of having the Phalanx try to hold back the public when they should be evacuating the premises far away from a bunch of newborn aliens and an imminent explosion?

You can't tell me the Phalanx are competent and don't create comedy material with that level of professionalism! Tied in with the videos (both queue and pre-show, "Phalanx operatives are resourceful!"), I actually find them to be more hilarious an organisation than sinister!

Then you've got the drops themselves, which are so painfully anti-climactic and pathetic that it's amusing how hard the ride tries to cause drama with added interactive effects.

I do find it to be a good laugh and something I ironically can't take seriously, especially when experiencing it with the group in which we always take the mick by hamming up our reactions to match those of the new visitors.

It has major flaws and could've been so much better but the unintentional cheesiness is what makes it the 'Sub-Standard' we know and tolerate! :p

As I think I mentioned in The Smiler topic I had a really great experience with Sub-Terra a few weeks back and while the ride still isn't what I imagined it to be it has realised much of its potential :)

Most of the gripes I have that still remain are little plot points like Rowe mentioned above and lets be honest if the biggest criticism is that the story doesn't make sense then at least that puts it on par with most other Theme Park rides (including most of Disney's). What matters is that the atmosphere and mood now feels right, but more importantly it's a unique attraction that no other park can claim to have something similar.

I love it, but there is really no point in analysing its storyline too deeply. After all, the narrator describes the Nemesis creature as coming "from another dimension" - rather than simply from another planet. And of course the impracticality of having powerful strobe lights disorientating you whilst you're trying to escape from a facility that is about to "self destruct." :p

Rowe said:
Why would you show visitors an extra-terrestrial egg when you know it's dangerous?

Well, that could quite easily be answered. The Phalanx believe it's safe and will do no harm to the public. But the alien inside was just waiting for the right moment to attack (in small ways a bit like the plot to Alien if you like).

Rowe said:
What's the point of having the Phalanx try to hold back the public when they should be evacuating the premises far away from a bunch of newborn aliens and an imminent explosion?
You could argue the alien has had some effect on them, taking over their bodies and causing them to kind of attack the visitors. Probably a bit of a random story as it would leave more plot holes (why change them and not us?) but probably the simplest thing you could assume.

I quite like Sub-Terra. I love Hex so any dark ride with an immersive story always grabs my attention. While the story is rushed in parts and can easily be misunderstood by your average guest it still holds a place in my heart. It's quite an intense experience when it wants to be and I think the execution of the experience is done really well. You do not get taken away from the theme at all throughout, when you're 'underground' it feels rather real, the sound effects, music and general atmosphere make Sub-Terra's environment feel just as realistic as Hex's does.

Although with that it has its flaws. Firstly, I hate the drop ride, I find it painful (I may as well have someone slap my arse) and uncomfortable. The back prodders are really irritating. For the first prod it feels realistic, although the minute it's constantly hitting me I get fed up and each prod starts to feel like I'm being poked with a knife.

Secondly, the Phalanx Operatives. This is my main gripe of the story, if you're being welcomed to a military facility, you're not shouted at and insulted. Every time I've gone on Sub-Terra I've seen very unimpressed guests around, not looking too pleased at how the staff are acting.

Sometimes this authoritative manner works and the staff have some form of control. It can be funny and works well with the theme. Other times I've seen staff enjoying their role a little too much, perhaps even using it as a way to get away with insulting guests and causing upset just because they are 'in role'. This is one of the main reasons as to why I don't bother with Sub-Terra now unless there is someone with me who is eager to go on. I don't find being insulted and shouted at a fun experience. I left that kind of thing in high school.

Now I'm not saying all staff are rude on there. But from the handful of times I've gone on it, staff have been very hit or miss in terms of how they control their role and how they consider the feelings of guests around them. Most staff do it well, mixing a serious character in with comedy and not upsetting anyone. Although others leave guests looking not impressed at all and potentially insult guests in a way that could upset them. I know they are only ride hosts and not actors. But some clearer guidance seems to be needed.

Saying that, the experience as a whole package is pretty good. Although it has its flaws and will never quite be perfect. But I cannot blame the ride itself for not being comfortable (in terms of the drop feeling like you're getting a good arse slap). The staff however, they won't change, but that's the only thing I really blame with the current version.

Hate it
Terrible ride
What's the point of the ride
Hate it
But actual ... No it's worst ride at towers

Aww I really have alot of time for Sub:Terra, but then again I do love a dark ride and also a theme / story which it almost does well. Almost.

I like there is a link to Nemesis and it has an explanation as to why you are there. But as others have pointed out the Phalanx being over the top and shouty makes no sense to the ride at all, perhaps a little military ordering and then just subtle nods would be much better.
They ruin the entire atmosphere the videos, facility and story set up.

So aside from the Phalanx killing the pre-ride area. The videos are really good, I like the humour in the 'phalanx are resourceful' lines and the nemesis mentions.

Anyway, the lifts are ok, not overly convincing. But I like the cave area post lift. I should imagine that convinces alot of people.

So the chamber, again Phalanx are crap, why shout and rush your visitors?! GRR.
Anyway yeah, the Egg looks pretty cool, and the introduction to it obviously sets off well. But does it really take 3seconds for it to go so wrong?
You've bearly had time to get sat properly and the egg is opening.

I think the drop is ok, nothing spectacular but more forceful than 13s. And the random drops are cool, to hear screams in the dark from different angles is unnerving.
I like the disco eggs underneith and the collection of effects, while the back pokers are abit painful they are effective and make it a much more unpleasant experience - which it should be.

The return to the top while it doesnt make sense, has a real sense of urgency and panic to it. Its when Phalanx finally do the job right and heard you towards the escape lifts.

The exit lifts are clever, often luring people into a false sense of security that it is the end. Its a great time to people watch!
Then comes the mini scare maze bit, which depending on the staffing levels and where you are in the group can either be great or lacking. But its still a decent end and completes the story.

So yeah, the Phalanx are pants and make no sense. I dont mind the ride, infact I quite enjoy it.

josht said:
Hate it
Terrible ride
Hate it

Oh really...

Charlie_and_the_Chocolate_Factory_Ride,_Alton_Towers,_UK.jpg

Nick said:
josht said:
Hate it
Terrible ride
Hate it

Oh really...

Charlie_and_the_Chocolate_Factory_Ride,_Alton_Towers,_UK.jpg
Rather hate everything at towers apart from nemmy, oblivion, the tavern and dragon bar

I think they missed a big trick with the Phalanx operatives. They could stay friendly and calm at the start of the experience (pre-lift and putting you into your seats) with just a little hint of being in authority. Then once the drop sequence goes and you return to the top they should look panicked, shocked and shout the way they do currently through the whole experience.

The one thing that will unnerve people most is seeing the operatives panicking - they are the point of safety and once that safety is lost you're doomed. It would certainly make the final parts of the experience far more intense and scary.

I do quite like Sub-terra, it was naff when it opened but its quite a good all-round attraction. Its got the pre-videos, the pre-show, lifts, ride, exit lift and even the scare maze! Its also quite a long ride which I like. I do think its underated from when it first opened and it was crap.

I love Sub Terra and have the balls to admit it.

Who cares if absolutely none of it makes sense? It's fun, it's a laugh. It was never meant to be a headline attraction like Hex or Oblivion. For what it is, it's great.

I see how if you rode it alone and didn't take part it'd be awful, but if you're with friends and get into it, it's great fun.

(The so-bad-it's-good-argument is also acceptable. And probably even more valid.)