• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Towers: A New Project?

I've seen a few images circulated from earlier this year (I can't find them for the life of me), but those who have seen them will know that the Ruins are in a state. All the Scarefest props are collectively piled (albeit in some form of organised chaos) into one of the wings. The former archives look a disgrace, with old ride manuals and maintenance logs dating back to the 90s just strewn across the floor, gathering mould or precariously propped on collapsing wooden shelving, Much of Sub-Species remains in place. No effort should be required when it comes to Mine Tours as it is seemingly 100 per cent still assembled; The Attic is not exactly far off either.

It's easy to see why they don't want anyone looking in the Towers - the crown jewel of the entire park has been left to fester. Perhaps the storage site behind Alty Mans could be used to house a maze this year - possibly The Attic with a loose Alty Mans re-theme? Mine Tours is well past its sell-by date now so evicting that from the Ruins wouldn't go amiss. And then that's that - a blank canvas to start from.

I can't see any form of new being experience being in place for next year, but if there's a good amount of work and money thrown at it, they could launch something for the 45th birthday in 2025. They could be a great alternative to the Hospitality Suite from a business hosting perspective, and I'm sure they could make a mint from weddings.

I can't see Merlin ever doing full refurbs of rooms in the Towers, it would cost a staggering amount of money. Maybe 1 smaller room at a push? I just don't see them having the appetite for that. Shaun could indeed have heard of a new plan that hasn't been put forward officially as he does have contacts. Alternatively they could still be discussing doing something similar to what was put forward in the last planning application. Who knows? They do need to get them open to the public more often though in some form.

If they could turn spaces into guest accommodation and therefore make money from it then it might happen.

If they could turn spaces into guest accommodation and therefore make money from it then it might happen.
I can't see them using the towers as a hotel if I'm honest, think it's more likely going to be used for multiple purposes. Could have banquets, conferences, heritage tours, weddings maybe even a little museum, there's plenty of space.

I can't see them using the towers as a hotel if I'm honest, think it's more likely going to be used for multiple purposes. Could have banquets, conferences, heritage tours, weddings maybe even a little museum, there's plenty of space.
I'm not sure it would be a "hotel", Warwick Castle has just two suites in the actual castle https://www.warwick-castle.com/short-breaks/accommodation/caesar-s-tower-suites/ - just got looking up these, they are very expensive (£600 for the random date I picked) but includes two days entry and afternoon tea. Also 140 out of 152 reviews on Tripadvisor are five star https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...ower_Suites-Warwick_Warwickshire_England.html It shows that within the Merlin group Warwick Castle are still getting things right.

The biggest thing for using it as an event space I guess would be toilets and other facilities would need to be added. But something like weddings it could be easy to set up for the ceremony in the larger spaces of the towers ruins and then have the reception back at the hotel in the Emperor suite or the conference centre.

Last edited:
I don't think that they would use The Towers as a hotel. I would like them to use it as a museum for past rides, but I don't think that this would actually happen.

I'm not sure it would be a "hotel", Warwick Castle has just two suites in the actual castle https://www.warwick-castle.com/short-breaks/accommodation/caesar-s-tower-suites/ - just got looking up these, they are very expensive (£600 for the random date I picked) but includes two days entry and afternoon tea. Also 140 out of 152 reviews on Tripadvisor are five star https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...ower_Suites-Warwick_Warwickshire_England.html It shows that within the Merlin group Warwick Castle are still getting things right.

The biggest thing for using it as an event space I guess would be toilets and other facilities would need to be added. But something like weddings it could be easy to set up for the ceremony in the larger spaces of the towers ruins and then have the reception back at the hotel in the Emperor suite or the conference centre.

There is some plumbing in there as there are toilets in the archives.

They don’t have to fully refurbish the towers. They could simply dress a few rooms. Even get some of their waxworks in and make a historical walk through attraction telling the story and history of the areas.

They don’t have to fully refurbish the towers. They could simply dress a few rooms. Even get some of their waxworks in and make a historical walk through attraction telling the story and history of the areas.

None of the rooms are particularly easy to bring back up to standard. I mean it would be amazing if they could restore the banqueting hall and the long gallery but it would be millions of pounds to do (you would have to re glaze the adjacent rooms to weather seal it all for a start).

None of the rooms are particularly easy to bring back up to standard. I mean it would be amazing if they could restore the banqueting hall and the long gallery but it would be millions of pounds to do (you would have to re glaze the adjacent rooms to weather seal it all for a start).
In my opinion they shouldn't have a choice, they should keep the towers up to scratch.

In my opinion they shouldn't have a choice, they should keep the towers up to scratch.

That’s not really the case though is it?

Now the Bagshaws should have been made to keep the Towers to scratch, as they let the building fall into ruin (the army excuse is mostly BS). But ever since the place became a “theme park” the ruins have always been ruins. To be fair to Merlin they have not allowed the ruins to get worse (indeed they replaced the stained glass windows of the banqueting hall).

It’s also easy to forget that most of what is now the Hex queue line was open to the elements until that attraction was built (I appreciate that was Tussauds group).

I would as it happens want Merlin to preserve the Talbot gallery and the west wing before they did anything fancy with the rest of the building but other than not allowing guests to wander they have maintained the ruins or at times improved them.

Honestly if towers was refurbished I'd be first in line to have a wedding there - the towers themselves are absolutely gorgeous and you could get some brilliant photos in the gardens too.

I'm not building expert. But surely a full scale renovation would costs £100m+?

And what return would you get?

Merlin are doing what is needed in terms of up keep. They won't do anymore than that.

Not sure what project it could be, but maybe it'll be tied into Horizons planning? I.e. we will do this as part of the approval?

Merlin are doing what is needed in terms of up keep.

Without being able to access the Towers ruins its hard to say if they are. I would argue if they were doing what is needed then the ruins would be open to the public as they used to be.

I don't think anyone is expecting a restoraiton back to a working stately home, just enough so that the ruins can be visited and utilisted. Empty ruins that aren't falling apart make a great wedding venue for example.

I'm not building expert. But surely a full scale renovation would costs £100m+?

And what return would you get?

Merlin are doing what is needed in terms of up keep. They won't do anymore than that.

Not sure what project it could be, but maybe it'll be tied into Horizons planning? I.e. we will do this as part of the approval?

A very upmarket hotel?