• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Towers: A New Project?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
For what it’s worth, Shawn Sanbrooke said in his latest Alton Towers vlog that he has heard “rumblings” of a “project” planned for the Towers that will see an end to scare mazes being housed within the complex:

(Go to 12:19 to see him talk about this)

Take this with as much salt as you like, but Shawn started hinting towards both The Curse at Alton Manor and the reopening of Sub-Terra when there was very little in the way of concrete evidence to support either theory and been correct within the last year, so I’d be inclined to trust any sources he may have.

If this is true, I wonder what this “project” might be?

For what it’s worth, Shawn Sanbrooke said in his latest Alton Towers vlog that he has heard “rumblings” of a “project” planned for the Towers that will see an end to scare mazes being housed within the complex:

He directly follows up the "rumbling" by discussing how he "loves what Warwick Castle" do, citing their restorations for dining and accommodation. Merlin love to adapt/recycle proven concepts, so that might be something of a clue for you.

He directly follows up the "rumbling" by discussing how he "loves what Warwick Castle" do, citing their restorations for dining and accommodation. Merlin love to adapt/recycle proven concepts, so that might be something of a clue for you.
That’s a good spot; I hadn’t thought anything of that! It would also make a lot of sense, although it could potentially cost a lot of money depending on what kind of state the Towers Ruins are in.

The one confusing part, though, is that I thought Alton Towers requested permission to keep the scare mazes in the ruins permanently not all that long ago?

Take this with as much salt as you like, but Shawn started hinting towards both The Curse at Alton Manor and the reopening of Sub-Terra when there was very little in the way of concrete evidence to support either theory and been correct within the last year, so I’d be inclined to trust any sources he may have.

Probably worth this being a new thread as its unlikely to relate to Hex.

If it is something similar to Warwick Castle then it could be accommodation being added. I would say moving the Dungeons would make sense though.

I'm more willing to believe his sources who seem connected with the park though obviously have to keep tight lip and only hint at things.

Maybe if there are serious things planned with the Towers that the park might kill two birds with one stone by having a proper Hex overhaul done with the plans with the Towers? It has become clear Hex needs a big overhaul and maybe the park are holding on for now until this goes through?

An updated sequel story for Hex likely regarding recent events with the actually tree regarding more branches having fallen off might be possible if they want to market it as 'new' perhaps?

I'm more willing to believe his sources who seem connected with the park though obviously have to keep tight lip and only hint at things.

Maybe if there are serious things planned with the Towers that the park might kill two birds with one stone by having a proper Hex overhaul done with the plans with the Towers? It has become clear Hex needs a big overhaul and maybe the park are holding on for now until this goes through?

An updated sequel story for Hex likely regarding recent events with the actually tree regarding more branches having fallen off might be possible if they want to market it as 'new' perhaps?
Hex doesn't need an overhaul. The ride part needs fixing is all.

Probably worth this being a new thread as its unlikely to relate to Hex.

If it is something similar to Warwick Castle then it could be accommodation being added. I would say moving the Dungeons would make sense though.
I wasn’t sure if it warranted its own thread, as this is only speculation at the moment, but I’m happy with whatever the moderators decide.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they did put accommodation within the ruins (indeed, they already tried it in the form of The Ultimate Sleepover during Scarefest 2014). And to be honest, I was always surprised that the Alton Towers Dungeon wasn’t put within the Towers Ruins themselves like how The Castle Dungeon is inside Warwick Castle itself.

Reactions: Ash
The dungeon wasn’t put into the Towers as they wanted to reuse the boat ride from Charlie.

In an ideal world we’ll see the boat ride return as a new dark ride and the dungeons either leave or be relocated somewhere more suitable.

The one confusing part, though, is that I thought Alton Towers requested permission to keep the scare mazes in the ruins permanently not all that long ago?

The application to keep the mazes in the Towers permanently and introduce a self guided ‘heritage tour’ did not go down well with the conservation officer at the council, you can see their response here:

That particular application never moved past the consultation phase so I suspect the idea was canned and they have perhaps been working with the authority on amended plans that work better for all concerned.

The application to keep the mazes in the Towers permanently and introduce a self guided ‘heritage tour’ did not go down well with the conservation officer at the council, you can see their response here:

That particular application never moved past the consultation phase so I suspect the idea was canned and they have perhaps been working with the authority on amended plans that work better for all concerned.
Oh dear!

I’ll admit to being surprised at the staunchly negative reception given that the scare mazes are basically permanent fixtures within the ruins now in all but name, from what I can gather… could this also hint towards the mazes being moved out of the ruins in the not-too-distant future?

It would make sense to move them, the Towers do provide a good atmosphere for free when building a scare maze but it also lacks any real infrastructure to support the special effects and lighting.

If they could get permission for 5 or so small self contained units around the park that are fully kitted out with the required infrastructure that can easily be alternated for scare mazes then it frees up the ruins to be reopened again.

Now if they had the money to fully restore parts of the ruins for guest use that would be amazing but it wouldn’t be cheap (and in some areas it isn’t even possible due to the concrete slabs they put in to secure the ruins decades ago.

Out of interest, why is it that the ruins hardly open these days?

I always assumed it was due to Scarefest, but the ruins aren’t being used any more for Scarefest than they ever used to be (to my knowledge), so that wouldn’t necessarily explain it… does anyone know the reason for the ever-decreasing public opening of the Towers Ruins?

On a side note, I don’t think I’ve ever actually been into the Towers Ruins in all the years I’ve been visiting Alton Towers (rides on Hex aside). It was never really something I used to think about doing, and for the past few years, they seem to have been wholly closed on my visits to the park…

I always assumed it was due to Scarefest, but the ruins aren’t being used any more for Scarefest than they ever used to be (to my knowledge), so that wouldn’t necessarily explain it… does anyone know the reason for the ever-decreasing public opening of the Towers Ruins?

On a side note, I don’t think I’ve ever actually been into the Towers Ruins in all the years I’ve been visiting Alton Towers (rides on Hex aside). It was never really something I used to think about doing, and for the past few years, they seem to have been wholly closed on my visits to the park…
It's really annoying how little they are open. I've tried on every single visit and they have been shut every time, I'd love to go in the ruins.

I assume laziness of checking that all the scarefest stuff is properly secured away and that access routes around the towers are safe.

I've been in once or twice a long time ago and there was some great views and historic rooms, so I agree with the heritage officers from the council and Historic England, more should be done to ensure these rooms are open most of the season.

Wonder if this somewhat ties in to the rather fanciful rumoured plans to have the park be as close to a 365 attraction as they can?

Even if it is mostly prioritised for the currently closed season months, having the Towers as its own featured attraction with (even partially) restored rooms, guided (whether staffed or signposted) tours or as an estate/park museum would certainly close some of that gap.

The park already does a fair amount of education/themepark bundle days for schools and increasing the former can surely only make it a more attractive idea for schools in the county and beyond.

They could also then go down the Shugborough Hall route (or at least as it was when I was a kid) and have loosely Victorian themed Christmas events, building on the Christmas market we've seen recently, with maybe a steam fair like the February Half Term events back in day to give the maintenance teams time to do their work on the park's own rides.

Who is on English Heritage van watch first?

Last edited:
I can't see Merlin ever doing full refurbs of rooms in the Towers, it would cost a staggering amount of money. Maybe 1 smaller room at a push? I just don't see them having the appetite for that. Shaun could indeed have heard of a new plan that hasn't been put forward officially as he does have contacts. Alternatively they could still be discussing doing something similar to what was put forward in the last planning application. Who knows? They do need to get them open to the public more often though in some form.

I can't see Merlin ever doing full refurbs of rooms in the Towers, it would cost a staggering amount of money. Maybe 1 smaller room at a push? I just don't see them having the appetite for that. Shaun could indeed have heard of a new plan that hasn't been put forward officially as he does have contacts. Alternatively they could still be discussing doing something similar to what was put forward in the last planning application. Who knows? They do need to get them open to the public more often though in some form.
Not sure how well it'd go down with the likes of English Heritage but I think literally restoring half say the Banqueting Hall and leaving half as is would be an amazing sight. You'd get to tell the story of the estate's heyday, Pugin's genius, how the building got into its current state and the restoration project (and that of the window) in one space.

I've always felt like I've been in the minority in my belief that if the mazes prevent the towers from opening then they shouldn't be in there. The towers should be open and used, they're a great asset that is massively underused and mistreated. I've given my thoughts loads of times on what they could use the building for, but even having them open is a good start.

I can't remember the last time I went in the Towers or up on to the roof. It is something that really does annoy me and to be frank I think it is just laziness from Alton Towers management. I would imagine their excuses are that things left around the place from Scarefest mean public access to the ruins is a H&S issue. Fair enough, it could be, but this should be managed in a way that allows for them to be open.

I am hoping that the new management we have at Alton Towers will be looking to address this going forward. The Towers ruins are a key asset to Alton Towers, not allow guests in to them is a travesty.

I can't remember the last time I went in the Towers or up on to the roof. It is something that really does annoy me and to be frank I think it is just laziness from Alton Towers management. I would imagine their excuses are that things left around the place from Scarefest mean public access to the ruins is a H&S issue. Fair enough, it could be, but this should be managed in a way that allows for them to be open.

I am hoping that the new management we have at Alton Towers will be looking to address this going forward. The Towers ruins are a key asset to Alton Towers, not allow guests in to them is a travesty.
For me I think it was 2018 I last went on the roof. Pretty sure it was during a TS meet actually. The one where we got ERT on WM at the end of the day.