• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The UK Obesity Crisis

The sugar tax only affects drinks at the moment.

You can't buy as many sweets as before due to inflation and changes in the cost of raw materials, not taxation.
Aah fair enough, in knew inflation was part of the issue but wasn't aware that sugar tax didn't affect sweets and chocolate.

Is there statistical evidence for this? In my experience it's been the opposite, especially at the moment.
Na, I just make it up as I go along.
An article in one of the big papers a bit ago, the teenage spend is stronger than it ever used to be, but has dropped off over covid.
Kids used to spend just on junk food and magazines, now the proportions have all changed to technology, cosmetics and gaming before junk food.

Just thinking back to when I was a kid in the 80s….

No fast food
No games consoles
No Internet
No mobile phones
Everything cooked in Lard!
No ready meals or microwave

Lots of PE in school
School had a leisure centre with swimming pool and sports hall (now demolished for houses)
Ate only at set times and didn’t pick in between - sweets were a luxury
Always out playing with my mates either on my bike or football
Cooking was on school curriculum
A take away was an absolute luxury and quite rare

Was rare to see overweight people. Granted other factors affected health though such as smoking.

Compare this with life now which is built around being lazy, and having everything at your finger tips exactly when you want it. I don’t blame McDonald’s but I do blame the parents who take their kids there because they can’t be bothered to cook. I do blame the likes of Uber eats and other companies who make it possible to order junk food from your sofa, I do blame councils for removing sports facilities and imposing ridiculous H&S rules in schools (eg no football), I also blame the government for overcrowding schools and reducing time for PE and cooking on the school curriculum, and again I blame parents for lazy parenting such as allowing their kids to sit in front of the telly/games consoles all day as it keeps them quiet, also for getting kids far too young a mobile phone which essentially is like getting them addicted to a drug.

But this is Modern life and it gives people everything too easy with no need to wait, and makes everyone lazy. It will get worse, especially as society gets even more insular with people in the future maybe not even needing to go outside their front doors. Sugar tax etc won’t stop anything, we need to change people’s way of life, but I think it’s too late for that now.