• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The UK's world class coasters

ScottishChris

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Legend
I was thinking, based on the coaster alone what are the UK's world class coasters?

In my opinion:
Steel
1. Nemisis
2. Icon
3. Smiler

Wood
1. Megaphobia
2. Grand National
I want to add the ultimate because it is so unique and different - not overly convinced!

All in all, it is a pretty sad state of affairs...

I personally have many British coasters that I really like, but I'll go for the 3 coasters that I personally have in my 10/10 tier in my rankings, in order of how much I like them:
  1. Icon
  2. Nemesis
  3. The Swarm

Not sure if I'm qualified yet to name "world class" coasters, but off the top of my head here's the ones that stand out to me:
  1. Nemesis
  2. Ultimate
  3. Grand National (bit of a stretch)
  4. Smiler
Was a bit disappointed by Icon last time, tbh, still a good ride but compared to the Intamin and S&S launch coasters I've tried, the launches are so weak!

The only coasters I think that are world class are Nemesis and Megafobia. Oblivion, Stealth and Grand National are all very good and well known but they're not the kind of coasters people would travel a lot of distance. The Ultimate and Shockwave are more unique than anything else, and the likes of Wicker Man, Icon are not anything spectacular.

Nemesis and Megafobia. To say that the Swarm is world class is an overstatement, it's a bit like saying Rita's got the best launch in the world.

Megafobia and Nemesis are the only two that are proper classics. Ultimate is batshit crazy and definitely up there as highly regarded but is it world class, can it hold it's own on the worlds stage I'm unsure.

I admittedly haven't done it yet, but I'm not sure how Megafobia can be considered world class. It definitely looks good, but I can think of quite a few better woodies in Europe alone.

Would be hard to define world class I guess, but things that stand out - or stand up - internationally, I'd have to say:

Nemesis
The Ultimate
Odyssey
The Smiler
Grand National

In terms of ride experience, possibly only Nemesis.

The Mouse would have definitely been on this list because it was something we had that hardly anywhere else in the world could claim to have. Imagine how proud somewhere like Kennywood would be if they had a ride as unique as that.

Icon... just no.

I admittedly haven't done it yet, but I'm not sure how Megafobia can be considered world class. It definitely looks good, but I can think of quite a few better woodies in Europe alone.

I think it's more due to the worldwide reputation it already has. Better coasters have been built but it's stuck in a lot of people's minds for over 20 years

Best coaster in each category:

Best Coaster
Nemesis

Best Wooden
Wickerman

Best Themed
The Swarm

Best Family coaster 1.2m
Wickerman

Best Family coaster 1.0m
Accelerator

Best Family coaster under 1.0m
Runaway Mine train

I think The Smiler's fame is being considered higher than its actual quality as a ride. Yes enthusiasts globally may recognise it and comment on it, but that's purely down to its notoriety from the accident and its inversion count. It was designed to please from a marketing perspective and not that of a ridership.

Nemesis on the other hand may have worn off on some of us due to the copious number of rides over the years, but it still appears to remain a firm favourite to those who have travelled from aboard to ride it. I really do think in this day and age it's taken for granted; it's easily our trump card for entering the world class coaster platform.

Any suggestion alluding to Icon as a world class coaster is a farce. In fact none of Pleasure Beach's coasters are really. It's just the nostalgia talking.

Nemesis - Without a doubt. I'd put it up against anything.

Smiler - World class in the sense that it holds the inversion record. That's the only thing that makes it world class, but it is a great coaster.

Grand National - I'd regard it as a world class heritage Woody.

And a controversial one... Odyssey - No don't boo, just hear me out. I know it's just a Vekoma SLC, but it's a Vekoma SLC on steroids. Yes, it's rough, yes, it's uncomfortable, and yes it hasn't aged well, but it is a rarity for a British coaster having an immense scale and height, great views, speed intensity and sudden changes in elevation and direction. If it were made by B and M and had a section with the intensity of Nemmies helix, then it would be major kick-ass. Certainly beats The Big One for me, a coaster I have always found insanely boring.

I can only go with :

1. The Smiler (record breaking and good, long ride, and world famous, and Americans seem to love it)
2. Nemesis (after all these years still a great ride and theming)
3. Wicker Man (decent family coaster, but the theming and overall experience are very pleasing)
4. Icon. (A good, fun ride)

Although 2 of those are only a year old, we need more!

I’d argue Nemesis is the only world class coaster in the UK, which is a sad thought.

Compare that to Germany, where there are easily 5 (probably more) and Sweden, where there are at least 3 and you can really see how poor the UK’s coaster game is.

Nemesis, a truly brilliant coaster and consistent throughout.

Grand National, a airtime filled classic wooden coaster,coupled with the fact it is steeped in history and is a rare example of a single tracked racer

That is probably it.

That said we do have some other brilliant and unique rides, the Ultimate, Steeplechase, the Big Dipper, Wickerman, and Swarm are amongst the best of the rest.