• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The use of Facebook by Alton Towers

From an enthusiast’s point of view, we’re lucky that there’s a lot of high quality unofficial content around Alton Towers. I can’t say I’m that bothered about what they put on the official page, and I certainly don’t want a video telling me how to shovel nuggets in and out of a fat fryer. Some behind the scenes stuff would be nice.

I do think Merlin play it safe with their content, in case someone gets offended by a joke, or somethings construed as being dangerous, like Walibi’s stunts. What we end up with are these vapid posts saying things like, “Which ride are you most looking forwards to riding?”, which I can do without. It amazes me how many people do enjoy interacting with social media officers who are paid to spend the day liking posts and slapping down emoticons. Occasionally they get to post a stock comment saying, “We will pass your comments on to the relevant department”. Gee, thanks.

There’s been a lot in the news lately about the declining sales of the Sun, which has long been an important part of Alton Tower’s marketing strategy. Over time the world changes and marketing strategies have to change with it. What Alton Towers and Merlin need to ensure is that as one area wanes, others are rising to compensate. Perhaps they do need to up their games with social media, or maybe there are other ways for them to get their message out. What they don’t want to do is fade into obscurity.

Is it just me or are they putting a very large emphasis on Scarefest on the Facebook page at the minute?

We’ve had quite a few Scarefest related posts. Perhaps nothing to read in to though.