• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

Replace the area with a steam punk themed area based on Thier own characters. Williams world is rubbish anyway and I have a feeling it will be getting very very swift rebrand soon
Been saying this for ages to dust off the old Port Discovery concept and place it in that area when Project Horizon opens (ideally a return of Black Hole) and maybe have something done with the Dungeons building which like TWODW, Dungeons' days seemed numbered too.

Annoyingly had we still had the Victorian themed Talbot Street theme and never had the rebuilds over the years such as Cred Street and that then it would have incidentally would have easily been rethemed to a retro Steampunk theme and they would have had little to do to make it work.

But yes, with all the dark themes or very kiddie IP themes on the park, a middle ground Steampunk theme would be very welcomed by many IMO.

I was talking about this with someone the other day. There's no denying DW is something of a liability, as he has a track record of putting his foot in mouth and his behaviour on BGT certainly looks bad. But even outside of that, his books won't be relevant forever and having a whole area of the park dedicated to him seems quite short sighted. Many teachers seem uncomfortable having his books in their classrooms due to his reliance on lazy stereotypes, and I can see them ageing very poorly (they already seem quite dated, at least to me).

Why they didn't choose a more 'timeless' but still fun property like Horrible Histories I'll never know, if they were absolutely set on having an IP. Horrible Histories would actually make a lot of sense; AT have made deals previously with BBC for CBeebies Land, they could tie it into the AT Dungeon and Horrible Histories is still very popular with kids.

So whether it's due to some big controversy or due to irrelevance, I can fully see the area being re-themed in at least the next 5 years.
When I said "in at least the next 5 years" I didn't think it would be quite this soon, jesus.

Think I mentioned this before but there is one saving grace for how cheaply or botched they did it depending on how you see it. Because they pretty just slapped paint on everywhere and nothing majorly done with the structures, it means that if they have to remove the theming if this is worst case scenario if they have to distant themselves from Walliams then they would have actually little to do and that it all could be rethemed, include GG into something else. Funny thing is had they gone with the original plan which IIRC correctly was much grander by using the Dungeons building too then trying to rip down all the theming would have been hell so in some ways you can actually thank the penny pinching Merlin management of that time by going cheap which will make a possible strip down much easier...can't believe I'm actually saying this but their penny pinching ways actually did some good albeit in not the way they imagined.

I know some say that the park would never get rid of an IP so soon but then again look no further than Nickelodeon Outta Control which likely had a similar licence to run for a few years yet only lasted a single season so its not far off if they'd want to get rid of an IP sooner than planned if that's anything to go by. Plus with Project Horizon likely being the largest project in that area for perhaps decades, I wouldn't have been surprised that MMM have casted their eye over at both TWODW and the Dungeons building to do something with both of them, likely more so with the former I suspect given recent events, as they'd want the area to look the part in which we have seen them do this before with both X-Sector when Smiler opened, Gloomy Wood with Alton Manor opened, Ug land being changed into Dark Forest when Thirteen opened and most likely with FV when Nemesis reopens so there is good reason for something to happen.

Some will ofc state that the park won't be able to increase the budget just for a quick retheme of TWODW into something else and I would have said this a few years ago but with this new Merlin actually willing to splash out the cash more than we have seen in recent years I do have to wonder if maybe that might be willing to actually go for it. If the worse does happen with Walliams and the park has to get rid of the IP soon as possible to avoid bad PR, might it be that MMM see this as an opportunity for when building Project Horizon to actually do something with that area which might even see Merlin willing to dig deep to add more funds just to clear Walliams' name off the park?

Granted, you might have something half baked and crap like Dark Forest if not given the right budget but at least when talking about DF I can say they did something with that area to blend in with Thirteen (still say it should've been built in Gloomy Wood but I'm sounding like a broken record by this point!) rather than keeping Ug Land which was pretty much ruined thanks to Rita so who's to say that that whole area could see one giant refurb in time for Project Horizon's opening? Honestly, strange things always seem to happen at Towers in ways you don't expect either for good or bad so anything is possible by this point.

Whatever they decide to theme that area of the park to next, it needs to be a proper job this time. No more of this 'slap a coat of paint on it and that'll do' nonsense.

The facades need ripping off most of the buildings and starting again. Particularly the old Outta Control side which hasn't really changed in nearly 30 years.

Ironically, that area of the park would probably lend itself to a darker theme with it being next to the towers themselves. It's just a shame the park is already overrun with dark / run down themes as it is.

Not he most exiting update, but the park have done a little work in world of Walliams, and to my surprise they have actually replaced the totally rotten windows on the shop with new double glazing windows! As well as the rotten wood and have repainted all the walls outside of the shop. They were a right state at Christmas.
IMG_6122.jpeg