• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

From what I've seen online Gangsta Granny looks much more impressive than I anticipated it would. Clearly it was never going to be a world class dark ride, but what they have done with that space is pretty fantastic to be fair. The street theatre and Raj's shop are both great too, almost a feel of some of the 90's Towers vibe with the type of humour which is definitely not a bad thing.

Aside from that, I think the rest of the area looks really poor unfortunately. I know this is down to budget at the end of the day, but as a themed area it seems really lacklustre. Hopefully we see some development in the coming years.

Wild opinion and guess..

Looking at Flavio today compared to the other temp flats installed could towers just buy another one and pop it in it’s place?

Given the “themeing” and already done audio track?

Wild opinion and guess..

Looking at Flavio today compared to the other temp flats installed could towers just buy another one and pop it in it’s place?

Given the “themeing” and already done audio track?
I don't see why not, that type of ride is made by many manufacturers, generally flat rides are available as both park and trailer models and they could probably get a version with a customised lighting package and if they owned it themselves then they can change the paint job so it fit better into the area. I think it would be in the park's interest to get some permanent flat rides anyway, whether they get like-for-like replacements for the retrosquad or get something different entirely.

So I gave my opinion on the ride, however here’s my option on the area.

It’s clearly been done on the cheap, and I would probably say it’s worse than original CCL. Its just got a few rides dotted around the edge with no theming. CCL had lots of theming dotted around the entrance and in the middle of the area, until it was ripped out for ice age. Walliams is simply a repaint of all the 1980s buildings. Some of it is already looking a bit patchy as it’s been sat there for a year, if you start to look closely at bits of Walliams you can work out the past 10 years of colours the buildings have had.

Then look at the Nickelodeon building, it’s still got loads of its original theming and windows, simply painted over.

Then the most bizarre bit is the driving school, they’ve added some planters (maybe the ones they used to block of Charlie when that was shut) to separate it from gangsta granny, but it’s just a bit odd, and really shows what a low budget retheme this was if they couldn’t add a few stickers to the car and record some new audio for it.

and of course then there’s the giant theatre and shop, just sat there doing nothing, they’ve even plonked a ice cream van in front of the closed shop, I assume to hide the fact it’s a closed unit.

They would have been better calling it a new ride than a new area from what I have seen of it.

I suppose Covid has played it's part but it does look awfully unfinished and missing a lot as a brand new area. There will no doubt be new additions next 2 years. And putting a sizzler in a brand new themed IP area really is tragic.

Sort of understand why they have had to do it in other areas of the park but in a brand new area it doesn't half make it look naff.

To be fair you can thank COVID for improving the area. It was due to open last March looking the same as it does now (remember the whole area was finished and ready to open), but without the twister ride. So that corner would have been empty and there would be no queue line where the theatre is.

To be fair you can thank COVID for improving the area. It was due to open last March looking the same as it does now (remember the whole area was finished and ready to open), but without the twister ride. So that corner would have been empty and there would be no queue line where the theatre is.

Tragic all round then.

I suspect they will add another decent supporting ride soon or it will be the shortest running IP at the park ever.

I am very surprised DW and his staff have allowed the sizzler / twister style ride to be included. Even the rethemed frog hopper isnt great from pics I have seen.

Very bizarre start to life for the area that's for sure. Can only get better.

This makes for depressing reading, especially given what Paultons Park have managed to pull off at what was never on my radar as a major UK theme park. Hopefully Gangsta Granny is a good dark ride, but sounds like they're really missed a trick with the area themeing - again :(

Here is my 2 cents....

After reading online and purposely avoided spoilers... I think Gansta Granny in my personal opinion I wrote off from allot of negativity from the theme park community. However in person dispatch's weren't that bad time wise and the way the scenes are spread out along with the movement of the ride vehicles. whilst the ride is a bit on the projection heavy side, it works well for kids with the effects etc which wont be picked up on a POV.

So yer this is a kids ride and a pretty decent kids ride, it isn't however designed around our market and what we would expect.

Now the area outside of The newsagent / ride is pretty poor with so many missed opportunities the theatre could have been used for a number of things production of some of his books etc.

With the peter rabbit bouncers is there any need for the separate frog hopper ?

there simply doesn't feel enough in the ‘area’ to warrant being an area, plaster/paint the cracks of old is ok, however its noticeable that the area other than street theatre is very boring with a carousel and frog hopper.

I think they would have almost been better to have just kept CCL and had this new ride and shop and kept it part of CLL until they had budget to do the whole area, as you can clearly see there isn’t really a budget.

Then a year or two time they could have launched the whole area with a 4D, re themed rides and new rides as well. Rather then two rethemes, a fairground ride and driving school sat on its own as it is now.

Ummm...

image0.png

Yikes :tearsofjoy:

Wait how can the queue possibly get to 150 mins. I queued 30 from when you go under the building outside so I would've assumed it could only reach an hour or so from the entrance

Wait how can the queue possibly get to 150 mins. I queued 30 from when you go under the building outside so I would've assumed it could only reach an hour or so from the entrance
It was 210 earlier. They probably erected a temporary extension.