• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

There's still magic somewhere...

The thrill of riding Wickerman for the first time.
Toddlers meeting Iggle Piggle.
The moment Nemesis enters the first corkscrew.
Watching the fireworks.
Taking a friend on Hex/Thirteen for the first time and seeing reactions.
Riding the lift at Alton Towers Hotel.

Faults aside I always feel "magic" when I visit, and anyone who is friends with Wayne will see some pics he has put u today walking around the park and without any guests there and all the rides closed you can see why. The house, gardens, history of the place creates its own magic. All the memories I have there since 1993 when I first visited add to this magic.

There is definitely still some magic there, the place makes your money disappear...

...your are sure to come away with less money than that of what you have arrived with o_O
Considering I managed to spend more then £1k on a THORPE PARK Resort trip I think they have Alton beat for that...

There is definitely still some magic there, the place makes your money disappear...

...your are sure to come away with less money than that of what you have arrived with o_O

Isn't that true of almost any day out? I went out shopping on Sunday and had a carvery lunch. Came home with less money than I arrived with.
Went to the seaside last summer and bought an ice cream on the pier, came home with less money than I arrived with.
Went to the cinema and got some popcorn, cam home with less money than I arrived with.
Went to the theatre and got a drink at the interval, came home with less money than I arrived with.

Other than the price of entry, no-one is forcing you to buy anything else at Alton Towers, the cinema, the theatre or anywhere else.

For those who are finding it hard to find the magic I strongly suggest making fewer visits to the park. You'll appreciate it much more when you go back.

Isn't that true of almost any day out? I went out shopping on Sunday and had a carvery lunch. Came home with less money than I arrived with.
Went to the seaside last summer and bought an ice cream on the pier, came home with less money than I arrived with.
Went to the cinema and got some popcorn, cam home with less money than I arrived with.
Went to the theatre and got a drink at the interval, came home with less money than I arrived with.

Other than the price of entry, no-one is forcing you to buy anything else at Alton Towers, the cinema, the theatre or anywhere else.

I know that :rolleyes:, either my post went over your head or you just like nit picking my posts :p

For those who are finding it hard to find the magic I strongly suggest making fewer visits to the park. You'll appreciate it much more when you go back.

You surely have never visited the park back in the golden days :p

I know that :rolleyes:, either my post went over your head or you just like nit picking my posts :p

Not really nit-picking, just that there are too many people making out everything is doom and gloom, when there still actually a lot of good things.

You surely have never visited the park back in the golden days :p

What are your golden days?

First visit was 1994, but my family preferred Drayton Manor. Then I visited several times a year from 2000-2010 and then have at least annually from 2010 to now. For me they are all golden days, yes some years have been worse than others but I had just as many bad days on park years back as I did now. I think the addition of paid Fast Track around 2005/6 did make things worse, but I have definitely found fewer visits to the park made me appreciate it a lot more.

Oh and my best day on park, probably was following the Nemesis 10th birthday event in 2004.

Never had a bad day at towers. It's rained all day on a few occasions and we've still had a brilliant time. We keep going back so there must be some magic of sorts.

Staying away on really busy days is a good trick though.

Still plenty of magic if you look hard enough. It's hard to ignore all the bad points though. I think they kind of erase some of the magic for people.

Magic parts for me:

1. The View when you visit enter the park of the Towers. Still gets me all these years later.
2. Nemmy. Goes without saying. This is the main reason I keep coming back. Simply the BEAST.
3. Hex - Still one of the best Dark Rides / Attractions in Europe. My Favourite mad house I have done purely because of it's location and backstory.

The magic in the pricing of season tickets is still there. Only had to pay £65 for premium and even the original price of £75 is a bargain. Includes scarefest and parking so really is great value.

Last edited:
When you first hear the Nemesis theme music when approaching the ride.

Hotel lift.

Hex.

That's about it. There's still plenty of good stuff about Alton Towers, but the 'magic' is pretty much dead now.