• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

Quick question concerning this:

Definitely something Victorian is coming...

CCEFJNYWAAAQR3L.jpg:large

Where did it originate from?

As much as I'd like to see a major haunted house attraction, especially with a Victorian theme. It wouldn't fit in with the current Thorpe Park style or the general theme of the Park what so ever, and would clash (not like that has stopped them before). Unless they're doing like they did with The Smiler and disguise the plans, it looks more like an abandoned warehouse as opposed to a mansion.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were themed to Downton Abbey...If it isn't however, then a ride themed to to Victorian London has a lot of potential to be brilliant especially on the budget numbers that's been floating about.

"Chronicles of London" doesn't exactly fit in with many IPs that I know.

Someone was speculating that it could be Madame Vestra, Strax and the Victorian Doctor Who characters. So a minor spinoff from an IP so it could be fairly unique but still an IP to attract people in.

I doubt the ride would be long enough to cover several eras like Spirit of London does?

Other speculation has been things such as Jack the Ripper, so Dungeon style stories, which could work well

From what Lewis mentioned had been trademarked, and previous rumours of a Dr Who dark ride if you do a quick Google search there are a few links. Using the Dr Who Wikipedia there are a few interesting articles, the first is the "Clockwork Droid".

The latter crashed in Earth's distant past and remained hidden until the Victorian era when their control node tried to repair the ship with both organic and mechanic material from Victorian London to take them to the "promised land".

This would fit in with the teaser image and also the "Chronicles of London" trademark. They were also androids which could fit in with the Automaton trademark. In addition there is an article on the site for "Automatons" although with the definition of the word being "a self-operating machine" it is quite a general trademark.

I could be putting 2+2 together and making 5 though :p

Last edited:
If they created a Doctor Who ride they wouldn't base it around one monster or creature, it would most likely be an 'adventures of' ride.

The idea of a ride that concentrates on The Paternoster Gang (Vastra, Jenny and Strax) would be interesting, and they do have a certain appeal, although I'm not sure if that appeal is strong enough for a dedicated ride surrounding them to be made. If there was a spin-off show surrounding them already on TV I would probably say that's a great idea for a ride. Unless BBC Worldwide have some market research that supports their popularity for Merlin to go ahead with that kind of theme.

I quite like all this London Victorian speculation though, with or without an IP it would be a pretty interesting theme.

Oh and Automatons were one-eyed robots in The Sarah Jane Adventures, so that kinda already exists in the Doctor Who universe. :p

Urgh I'd forgotten just how run down the building is going to look. I am very excited for this project but seeing that doens't generate any excitement at all.

:)

Steven who is the Rides and Attractions manager at TP noted at the SP's meet over the weekend that he reads all the forums and he is surprised that no one has guessed the new ride yet. Whether that is a bluff or not is another thing.

Just think the grime will suit the rest of the park, it won't look out of place. It will be over grown in ivy soon enough

I'm sure everyone is well aware of certain people's hatred of Merlin by now. Could we get back to talking about Thorpe Park constructively, rather than this tedious "it'll be crap/Merlin are crap" posts please.