• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

I don't know if the train moves or not (and tbh, I don't really care), but how big would the building need to be to accommodate a track/transit system? Will spoiler just in case
how big a warehouse would you need to house the introduction, train itself, fracking tunnel, and any maintenance rooms, as well as all the corridors connecting each set. Surely that wouldn't Need a building as large as the one they have.
Like I said before though, I couldn't care less. It doesn't improve the quality of the ride (though I'm sure derren brown would be pleased to see that he's caused this sort of confusion on here). Maybe it will help the throughput a little if it does move.
Edit: don't know why it won't let me put this under one spoiler tag. Keeps separating them into two.

The Ride works with 3 trains the victorian carriage is a shell and all three platforms are in one room you just can't see them as there are mirror effects. The 1st train leaves the shell at the end of the victorian carriage into platform one. 2nd train enters platform 3 sideways on a track and 3rd train enters the shell carriage from the side as the shell is half made. All of this is done in way you can not see because of mirror effect. The moment you enter the segment with the train falling into the center of the earth the tube carriage is in fact rocking back and forth and the staff have to hold on to dear life or they'll fall over, and btw the train does in fact move forward very fast in the first vr segment.
All credits to thorpeparklocal on towers times.

Information given by a staff member. Not sure of the reliability of the source but I would say that it's not far from the truth.

Remember, Merlin are useless at creating "moving" effects....remember Sub Terra's lifts? ;)

It definitely moves, and it was a nice surprise that it does!

Still quite poor though. I LOVE the preshow room, absolutely brilliant. First train journey was creepy as, second show room was OK and the final train back was..... quite ransom and just not scary at all.

I just don't get it, why would Derren want his name on something that's just not that good? What part did he actually play in creating it? Are we in the victorian ages or recreating 28 Days Later?

"derailing your mind", I think not.

It just fucks me of so much that other companies are making Ratatouille, Transformers and Gringotts, yet the best Merlin can throw up is this and Sub Terra!

And I don't get why they still want us to keep it a secret, we all know it's VR, and that's basically the gist of it....

Last edited:
OMG this clearly moves. How could you get out of the same side of the train and not be in the same place you got on.

It just ****s me of so much that other companies are making Ratatouille, Transformers and Gringotts, yet the best Merlin can throw up is this and Sub Terra!
Do you know what ****s me off so much? Complaints that a regional seasonal park in leafy London hasn't built a ride a ride that equals the $200m budget projects that year-round worldwide destination parks with 5x the attendance are building.

I think it could have been amazing if only it had some sort of clear narrative, the audio was louder or at least noise cancelling headphones, and the glitches were sorted before they opened it.
Also like someone mentioned earlier it would be nice to have some legs at least on the vr, and the exit straight into the gift shop is just naff. Would be a lot better if there was a section with live actors before you left like they put in sub terra

• They just wanted to open the attraction; the glitches are being worked on. This IS brand new technology, so it is expected.
  • The fact you can't see yourself in the VR is to give it a much creepier feel and I am sure is deliberate. To make it seem more dream and hypnotic (as Derren is hypnotising you in the attraction).
  • Derren doesn't like scare mazes, so he probably said no to that.

I think that perhaps part of the issue with the headsets (on this and Galactica) is that they're essentially domestic products being used in a commercial setting. They're not really designed to take the punishment of constant use day in, day out and you can't rely on members of the public to treat the technology with the same care they would at home.

You see the same thing with demonstration consoles in shops. The controllers are usually broken or at least feel very worn out. Whereas if you look at arcade machines that are designed for a public environment, they're built like tanks.

This could be a factor in why some are experiencing so many glitches / alignment issues. The headsets are simply being overworked. I know my phone gets very hot if I use it for Google Cardboard even for brief spells. They're using essentially the same technology on Galactica but running it all day, seven days a week. So it's perhaps not surprising that problems occur.

Also, if you're playing a game at home, the odd glitch is forgivable, perhaps even expected, but it seems very out of place on a state-of-the-art ride where the expectation is that everything runs smoothly.

• They just wanted to open the attraction; the glitches are being worked on. This IS brand new technology, so it is expected.
  • The fact you can't see yourself in the VR is to give it a much creepier feel and I am sure is deliberate. To make it seem more dream and hypnotic (as Derren is hypnotising you in the attraction).
  • Derren doesn't like scare mazes, so he probably said no to that.
  • Saying they just wanted it open is just not a good enough excuse after all the hype and anticipation for it. I would rather it opened next season and be spot on than open with glitches all over the place. We told a member of staff about the glitches in the box office as we were leaving and they seemed shocked and said these should have been ironed out in the technical rehearsals.
  • I don't think not seeing yourself makes it creepier, I'd rather feel like I was actually there on my own rather than I was in a dream/hypnotised
  • Maybe a scare maze is not necessary but a lot of people seemed disappointed that they were just coming out straight into the gift shop. Imo something is definitely needed inbetween disembarking the train and going into the shop

What are these glitches that people are talking about? My head set wasn't perfect, but that didn't ruin it for me. It just wasn't scary.

I don't really care too much about glitches, I just wanted to be as terrified as they made it out to be (including Derren).

It just all felt so random. Being loaded onto a victorian train in a warehouse by Thorpe employees, but then getting evacuated with the employees going mental in a tube station.... and it just doesn't work when the scene is played out on a head set, and you then have to switch back to real life. If it was a real set with real props, then it would work much better in my opinion.

Do you know what ****s me off so much? Complaints that a regional seasonal park in leafy London hasn't built a ride a ride that equals the $200m budget projects that year-round worldwide destination parks with 5x the attendance are building.

Ignorance is another thing that really fucks me off ;)

Merlin still claim to be "second only to Disney" remember? With that in mind surely they should be creating attractions better than Universal, regardless of attendance? Hell, even on par with them would be good.

And Transformers cost under $100m, with a much bigger building, with the ride on two floors. The scale of it is huge, where as this is quite small. If they made Transformers the size of DBGT, the cost probably wouldn't have been too much different.

But ultimately, Terror Castle at Brean is a lot scarier than DBGT, so that's £30m well spent Merlin!

Last edited:
I think having a blue floating seat remaining opposite you whilst the rest of the train has been ripped off is enough to ruin the experience for anyone.
That seat was the most ghostly thing about the experience