• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

To publish or not to publish, that is the question

I didn't compare them. I said Churchill wasn't interested in freedom.

It is complicated. On one hand there's the right to be free to hold and express your own opinions. On the other there's the right to not suffer abuse for accidentally being born into a marginalised group.

Reminder that I've repeatedly condemned the killings. Although I'm not sure what the Paris killings have to do with someone lamenting that they can't shout the n-word at people without the chance of the police intervening.

Yeah I agree, if I shouted the n word at someone I may get thumped, and probably arrested, fair enough. But it's the fact I was free to make that comment.

It's the fact that these extremists are seeing 'you can't say this because if you do we will lol you', that's the bit I don't agree with and don't think that we should bow down to them.

But I get your point too

Yeah I agree, if I shouted the n word at someone I may get thumped, and probably arrested, fair enough. But it's the fact I was free to make that comment.

It's the fact that these extremists are seeing 'you can't say this because if you do we will lol you', that's the bit I don't agree with and don't think that we should bow down to them.

But I get your point too

They will Laugh out Loud us?

The issue i have with all of this is nothing to do with "my" belief but our ad-hoc application of freedom of speech

Best example i can give is i am a gay man, and the legality of offending me based on my sexuality is very very grey. Why should my sexual orientation be protected but not the Muslim faith. Personally i don't think either should be protected but i have a VERY strict interpretation of free speech. Charlie Habbo should be able to insult Islam and sexuality as much as they want so long as it doesn't recommend physical violence. Ironically i think its abhorrent to do either of those things, i just don't think the law has a right to legislate against freedom of speech and i don't have a right not to be offended.