• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Tokyo Disney Resort: General Discussion

I thought they were just adding Soarin’ to DisneySea? Wouldn’t it have made more sense to hold off such a project if they were looking for a major attraction at a park dedicated to aviation.

As if Disney would sign off a new park that wasn't full of IPs!

Will be interesting to see if this does materialise, there has been confusion in the past between a new park and a major expansion of the existing parks.

:)

As if Disney would sign off a new park that wasn't full of IPs!
If OLC are stumping up the cash, I don't see why they wouldn't. I think OLC have a fair amount of autonomy with those parks, but work closely with Disney, if that makes sense. They make those parks feel profoundly Japanese whilst retaining a certain Disney feel to them.

True, altough I would be surprised if Imagineers are allowed to event think about new concepts that are not linked to an IP these days, let alone come up actual plans!

You are right though, if any Disney resort in the world is to be allowed major non-IP projects it will be Tokyo.

True, altough I would be surprised if Imagineers are allowed to event think about new concepts that are not linked to an IP these days, let alone come up actual plans!

You are right though, if any Disney resort in the world is to be allowed major non-IP projects it will be Tokyo.

I always love the Disney IP argument, if you look at the last 61 years of Disney parks very few attractions after the early days of Disneyland Anaheim have been without an IP (pirates and haunted mansion where planned by Disney before his death).

It’s a studio company, they are showcasing their brands.... much like the theme park that owns it’s own roller coaster manufacturer showcases their products in their park.....

I always love the Disney IP argument, if you look at the last 61 years of Disney parks very few attractions after the early days of Disneyland Anaheim have been without an IP (pirates and haunted mansion where planned by Disney before his death).

It’s a studio company, they are showcasing their brands.... much like the theme park that owns it’s own roller coaster manufacturer showcases their products in their park.....

I do not deny that they use their own IPs, and I don't think that is a bad thing either. Disney have produced some incredible IP based rides!

But now, every major Disney project is an IP. Avatar, Star Wars, Marvel, Tron, more Marvel, Toy Story, Ratatouille, Frozen and even more Marvel. Each individual project or attraction is likely to be brilliant, and I fully understand why they are adopting this approach, it is too risky not to and the merchandising opportunites are huge.

Yet Disney have always been the best at coming up with their own original themes in the parks, or evening using a relatively weak IP to create an attraction that enhances this and really stands on its own (Tower of Terror). Animal Kingdom as a park is a good example with the likes of Kali River Rapids, Kilimanjaro Safaris and Expedition Everest. Or more recently, Mystic Manor, which looks like a true masterpiece.

In a post Harry Potter theme park world, I do not think we will see a major non-IP Disney attraction at either of the US resorts or in Paris for a long long time.

And to drag this post back on topic, OLC certainly have the cash to be able to do things that other Disney resorts can only dream of.

Indeed. The current adverts for DLP on telly are making a big deal out of "Marvel super heroes are landing this year!" Despite the fact that as far as I know, it'll just be wandering characters. No actual rides.

In a post Harry Potter theme park world, I do not think we will see a major non-IP Disney attraction at either of the US resorts or in Paris for a long long time.
That might be true, I don't know - but I would say that although Disney use IPs as @Dave said, they actually use them in quite an odd way sometimes. If you think about something like the Tron rides, or Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, they're using rides to make/keep franchises relevant.

It worked for Twilight Zone....

Reactions: Tim
Disney's Imagineers continue to come up with original ideas. Its harder for them to be green lit (normally because if an IP fits an idea there's no reason not to use it) but they do still happen. Mystic Manor is a perfect example, but if you dig a little deeper than just headline attractions you'll find things like Typhoon Lagoon's Miss Adventure Falls and most of the new restaurants in Disney Springs.

Moden Disney still do their own IPs - it’s just rarely the big E-Tickets. This past decade we’ve had Roaring Rapids at Shanghai, Grizzly Mountain and Mystic Manor at Hong Kong, to name a few. But it’s the big IPs that really draw in the crowds, and for a company like Disney that owns so many beloved properties it makes much more sense.

But that being said, with a few exceptions all my favourite Disney rides and areas are original.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/disney-parks-d23-expo-japan-2018/

Lots of Disney news in general but the specific part of Tokyo is as follows

Even more magic from Walt Disney World Parks and Resorts is coming to Japan

Starting next year, Adventures by Disney will take guests to the beautiful country of Japan.

Chapek also told D23 Expo Japan guests about new experiences coming to Tokyo Disney Resort as part of its biggest expansion since the opening of Tokyo DisneySea.

In Tomorrowland at Tokyo Disneyland, the first-ever attraction inspired by “Big Hero 6” will take guests on a ride around with Baymax.

The Fantasyland expansion will include an entirely new area themed to “Beauty and the Beast,” with an attraction set to the award-winning music fans know and love. The expansion will also include a full-scale, live entertainment theatre – the first at Tokyo Disneyland.

In Toontown, guests will get to meet Minnie Mouse in a new design studio. At Tokyo DisneySea, guests will soon be able to take flight on a version of the classic Soarin’ attraction.

I would have imagined a Soaring style ride would make sense at Disney Sky. That's the first bit of news that is making me doubt the new park is happening :(

I would have imagined a Soaring style ride would make sense at Disney Sky. That's the first bit of news that is making me doubt the new park is happening :(

Soarin’ has been in the planning for DisneySea for a long time - likely before any plans for this ‘new park’ would be finalised.

I’m still doubtful that TDR will be getting a new park in the space of time that’s been rumoured. I guess we’ll find out in April :)

Ah fair enough must have either missed that or pushed it from my memory.

New park or not at least it the park isn't standing still and resting on its laurels unlike Paris in recent years.

Apologies I'm missing something (probably obvious) what's due in April?

Not heard anything from D23 Expo Japan which was held at TDR this past week. I think a third park is possible.

Oriental Land Co., Ltd have today announced a $2.27 billion expansion of Tokyo DisneySea. This will be a new port situatied on an existing car park and is set to open in 2022.

The new port will comprise of three areas themed to Frozen, Tangled and Peter Pan. There will also be a new deluxe hotel including a "one-of-a-kind luxary wing".

There will be four new attractions, three new food outlets and one new shop. The new attractions have been developed especially for DisneySea; they are a Frozen boat ride, a Tangled boat ride, a Peter Pan flying boat ride and a Pixie Hollow attraction immersing guests in an oversized world. Hopefully one of these rides will utilise the Shanghai Pirates ride system!

tds-expansion.png

tds-port.png

tds-frozen.png

tds-tangled.png

tds-pan.png

tds-hotel.png

Looks and sounds wonderful!

I can't help but feel these would be a better suit to Tokyo Disneyland rather than DisneySea. At present, DisneySea only has one port dedicated to a Disney IP, which is Mermaid Lagoon - but that's mostly indoors apart from the Palace façade and The Flounder.

DisneySea's best aspect is the immersive theming throughout, which can't be found at any other Disney park, and has a very distinctive feel. I can't see how any of these ports (apart from Frozen to an extent, but that's because we knew about it anyway) will really fit in to the park. I have faith they'll do their best.

I'll try to not make this delay my planned trip back to Japan in 2020/21, but it is tempting!

EDIT: Just realise all these IPs will be situated in one port, which has three distinct areas. That's a little more reassuring. But three boat rides? DisneySea already has two boat rides if you count the Gondolas!

I also find it strange that the proposed area is behind Disneyland's Fantasy Land yet this will be part of DisneySea.

But I've always thought a Scandanavian style port would work well at DisneySea so no complaints either way. All of these IPs do have Ocean backdrops. Shame theres no Moana.

Don't forget that Fantasyland in Disneyland park is already undergoing a major expansion which is set to open in 2020!

The IPs do seem to fit the park fairly well, although I do understand some of the concerns with how it might integrate with the rest of the park.

No doubt a Marvel themed port is next up! ;)

Reactions: Tim
I have to say, while it is great that they are expanding the park, and I'm sure it'll be done to the extremely high standards we've all come to expect from the OLC, I just don't think the fantasy themes really fit in with the rest of the park at all.

One of the reasons why I have always liked DisneySea is because of how real it feels, and I just don't think that can be achieved with these new themes, even if they are completed to a very high standard. I do agree that they've picked some of the "better" themes though.

So yeah, I don't really know exactly what to think of this at the moment, but it'll be interesting to see the project develop nonetheless. :)

Last edited:
Oriental Land Co have announced that Space Mountain at Tokyo Disneyland will close in 2024 for a major renovation, re-opening in 2027:
Oriental Land Co said:
Tokyo Disneyland Attraction Space Mountain and
Surrounding Area to be Renovated

URAYASU, CHIBA—Oriental Land Co., Ltd. announced today that Space Mountain and its surrounding area in Tomorrowland at Tokyo Disneyland® Park will undergo a major
renovation. This newly developed plaza will create a reimagined area of Tomorrowland and is expected to open in 2027.

Space Mountain, an exhilarating, indoor roller coaster that takes guests on a high-speed joy ride through space, has been a favorite of guests since the Grand Opening of Tokyo
Disneyland in 1983. This entirely new attraction will maintain its original concept as an indoor roller coaster, but will have enhanced performance and immersive special effects that will give guests even more thrills on this exciting rocket ride.

The new Tomorrowland plaza will express the connection between Earth and the universe, representing an image of a future where humans are in harmony with nature. Guests will be able to enjoy moments of rest and relaxation in this plaza where various icons and other design elements create a sense of hope for the future. After dark, the area will draw guests into a spectacular world of light and soundscapes.

Guests can look forward to the excitement at the new Space Mountain and the plaza at Tomorrowland.

Notes:
- In conjunction with this project, the current Space Mountain attraction will close in 2024.
- Space Mountain is presented by Coca-Cola (Japan) Company, Ltd.

Attraction Overview
Opening Date: 2027
Investment Amount: About 56 billion JPY (projected), including cost of new facilities in the surrounding area.

FRVUFcGUcAAaHEW

2027 is a long way off, but this looks very exciting!