• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Top Ten Parks

Seeing as I did my top 10 rides, I'll do my top 10 parks.

1. Phantasialand
2. Efteling
3. Alton Towers
4. PortAventura
5. Disneyland Paris
6. Toverland
7. Busch Gardens Tampa
8. EPCOT
9. Island of Adventure
10. Chessington World of Adventures

I've often thought about how the parks I've been to would rank on a list for me so here it goes:

1) Epcot

I've visited this park twice, once in 1997 (of which I can't really remember much) and again in 2005 when I was over in Florida. It was this second visit, in 2005, that thrust me from the Theme Park lover category into full on enthusiast territory. Granted a lot will have changed between now and then, but when I arrived there in 2005 the whole concept and scope of the park blew me away. From subtle attractions and shows like the wonderful "The American Adventure" to obnoxiously over the top rides like "Spaceship Earth" it covers all ground. Not to mention the incredible world showcase with it's incredible amount of theming and detail that goes into each area. It also has two incredibly detailed thrill rides in Mission: Space and Test Track.

EPCOTEPCOTEPCOT I LOVE YOU. :D :D :D :D :D :D

2) Alton Towers

Alton Towers is the park that created, started and nurtured by love affair with Theme Parks off. To have, what was once, such an intricately designed and executed park right on my doorstep is incredible. It would be number one for me as it's the park I've visited multiple times year in year out, however recent problems and lack of care have unfortunately let it fall by the wayside somewhat. It's still, however, "my" park and will always be in my top 5, no matter what!

3) Chessington World of Adventures

Whilst this park has recently been well below par in terms of investment, new attractions and general upkeep, I believe it still retains enough of it's charm in it's older attractions to be up there for me. Older rides such as Vampire, Rattlesnake and to an extent Bubbleworks are classic examples of well themed rides that can stand up to other parks recent investments for me. Granted, I never visited the park in it's heyday, however I believe that now enough of it's old charm is there for it to be a contender. You just have to look for it ;)

4) Thorpe Park

When Thorpe Park runs well, it really can be an extremely fun visit to a park with some extremely decent rides! This season I have visited 3 times and every time I've had a wonderful day out. It's also home to a perfect example of how to pull off an IP based ride (in my opinion), minus it's rough elements. When Thorpe plays ball it can be a really enjoyable park and so far this season, for me, it has been!

5) Busch Gardens - Tampa

A really nice park with some awesome rides. Shiekra is an incredibly graceful ride and Kumba is a classic B&M thrill beast. The African theming in areas is spot on also and the park has a whole friendly feeling and atmosphere. I really rate Busch as a lovely day out. I haven't visited in a couple of years and, should I visit again, I imagine it would be higher on my list now with the inclusion of things like Cheetah Hunt etc.

6/7) BPB/Luna Park (Sydney)

My 6 and 7 spots go joint to BPB and Luna Park in Sydney for being the two parks with the two last remaining wooden Wild Mouse coasters operating. They also go joint as, even though BPB is quite a bit larger and has more attractions, I get the same feeling from both parks (even though I've only visited Luna once.) It was that feeling of old school, seaside, quaintness you get from those older places in seaside resorts. Granted I haven't been to BPB in a while and I think it may slip if I was to go soon, but at the minute they're both up there as fairly similar, nice places to visit.

8) Pleasure Island

I genuinely really enjoyed Pleasure Island when I last visited. It's small, yes, but has some top rides! A classic Vekoma Boomerang, an insane shot tower, a Huss Frisbee that runs on a stupidly intense setting and Tower's old Graviton. They also have, for such a tiny park, one of the best dark rides around in Tommy Tinkaboo's Sweet Adventure. It's a lovely little park that packs a lot in and has a really nice atmosphere to it.

I'm going to leave it as just a top 8, whilst I have visited over ten parks and could do a list of ten, I don't want to just put the likes of DMP, Legoland, Flamingoland etc in there just to make up numbers. Come November I expect this to be a top 9 count with the inclusion of Europa Park after my visit :)

I last posted my top 10 parks in June 2012. Having visited a few more parks in Europe since then I can say that my rankings have changed.

First, I shall start with this question that Sam asked me back when I posted my rankings:

Sam said:
Rob, do you expect Europa to overtake BGW for you at some point in the next few years, and if so, when? What would it take to nudge it ahead out of interest, a big thrill coaster I am guessing? :)

Europa has now overtaken BGW as my number 1 theme park. I totally got EP the first time I went and did fall in love with the place. However my second visit has made me realise the extent of this love. BGW on the other hand seems to be on a slight downward spiral at the moment which is so very sad.

Anyway:

1. Europa Park
This is theme park heaven. Not rollercoaster heaven, not dark ride heaven, not thrill heaven; theme park heaven. Whenever you doubt EP they just go and make you think why on earth you ever did. For example, I had reservations about Bell Rock however having seen it in the flesh it is more stunning than I could ever have imagined. Europa Park is the definition of escapism, you are in a totally different world and it just makes you happy. This is down to the exceptionally detailed theming in every aspect of the park, even visiting each of the parks beautifully themed toilets can be seen as an adventure. Then they have three world class coasters. For me it is everything you could ever want from a theme park.

2. Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Don't get me wrong, I still love this park. The coaster line up is surely one of the best in the world. It is a beautiful park, has a truly wonderful atmosphere and in DarKastle it has one of my favourite dark rides that I have ridden. I'd imagine that they only USA theme parks that could rival BGW for me are Dollywood, Disneyland California or Magic Kingdom.

3. Disneyland Parc, Paris
I was taken away by this park when I went in September 2012. I wasn't too sure what I would make of the park before visiting as it was the first 'Disney castle' park I had visited. However the theming was simply stunning. I'm not a huge fan of what I'm going to call 'sit, ride and look' dark rides (i.e. where there aren't really any effects etc) however Pirates of the Caribbean really did wow me. This park was full of magic for me.

4. Alton Towers
I should start by saying that Alton Towers is not the fourth best theme park I have been too. However it is Alton Towers and despite many flaws it still holds a special place in my heart. It cannot by denied that Towers has some top class coasters, in particular Nemesis. There is also some lovely theming in places, it's just a shame that it is somewhat run down now.

5. Six Flags Great Adventure:
Any park that has El Toro, Kingda Ka, Nitro and Bizarro is a damn good park. There is also a surprising amout of nice theming that you might not expect in a Six Flags park. For those reaons alone this is one of the best parks I have visited, and one that I am sure to return to.

6. Busch Gardens Tampa
This is getting harder now! I think BGT has to come next in my list mainly down to the fact that it has some great big B&M coasters and it is a really nice park. It does not have the same level of theming as it's sister park in Williamsburg but this is surely one of the better parks in the USA.

7. PortAventura
PA really surprised me when I visited last year. The theming was so much better than I was expecting. The areas were all very immersive and of a high quality. Then you've got the two monster B&Ms, Shambhala and Dragon Kahn. A great park to visit!

8. Islands of Adventure
I need to return to rank this park properly as I was only really there for half a day but it is clear that this is a top class theme park. Brilliant theming and brilliant rides. The addition of Harry Potter since I last went can only make things better.

9. Disney Animal Kingdom
A stunning theme park with arguably the most stunning rollercoaster in the world, Expedition Everest. There may not be many rides but I do love this park.

10. Phantasialand
Another park with quite fantastic theming. For me the rides don't quite meet the same high standards as the theming but it does deserve a place in my top 10. Black Mamba has to be one of if not the most immersively themed thrill coasters in the world. The addition of Chiapas only adds to the parks beauty.

Special mentions should also go to Toverland and Tripsdrill. Toverland is a wonderful little park. Troy is an absolute beast of a coaster and the new Magic Valley area is probably the best new themed area any small park has done. Tripsdrill is such a beautifully authentic park and it is clear how much the owners care about the place. All of their investements seem very well throught through and Karacho is a brilliant addition.

:)

1) Magic Kingdom
2) Europa Park
3) Disney's Hollywood Studios
4) Disneyland Parc
5) Alton Towers
6) EPCOT
7) Islands Of Adventure
8) Animal Kingdom
9) Blizzard Beach (Waterpark I know)
10) Thorpe Park

Bit of a disney theme but it just brings back memories!

Joelio said:
1) Cedar Point
2) Parc Disneyland
3) Europa Park
4) Six Flags Great Adventure
5) EPCOT
6) Efteling
7) Magic Kingdom
8) Busch Gardens Williamsburg
9) Alton Towers
10) Blackpool Pleasure Beach

I was surprised how much I enjoyed Cedar Point and with the hardware (a few of my top 10 rides), atmosphere and quaint lakeside surrounds made for a lovely park, especially at night where it was beautifully lit. Consistent good weather also goes a long way!

I've grown up with DLP, it's hard to reverse engineer 20 years of memories.

Revised list...

1) Europa Park
2) Cedar Point
3) EPCOT
4) Magic Kingdom
5) Six Flags Great Adventure
6) Parc Disneyland
7) Efteling
8) Busch Gardens Williamsburg
9) Alton Towers
10) Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Parc Disneyland has been rightfully adjusted after a very disappointing visit and the lack of attractions for the last 5 years, general upkeep seems none existent (except Indiana Jones and Main Street U.S.A) aside from Ratatouillie nothing concrete (as in ground work started) to look forward too!

Currently:

1. Universal's Islands of Adventure
2. Europa Park
3. Universal Studios Orlando
4. Alton Towers
5. Busch Gardens Tampa
6. SeaWorld Orlando
7. Chessington World of Adventures
8. Blackpool Pleasure Beach
9. Tripsdrill
10. Thorpe Park

However, I'll be going to Liseberg and Oakwood after or during the Summer Holidays, back to Florida for Disney in November, and there's the chance of a possible visit to either Phantasialand or PortAventura before the Summer Holidays. Basically, expect the list above to change quite drastically. :p

My current list would look something like;

1. Cedar Point
2. Europa Park
3. Six Flags Great Adventure
4. Phantasialand
5. Busch Gardens Williamsburg
6. Hersheypark
7. Parque Warner Madrid
8. Alton Towers
9. Heide Park
10. Parc Asterix

Just missing out would be Kennywood, Mirabilandia and Efteling. Hoping Liseberg could possibly make an impression in August :)

MySpace Top Ten Parks has changed slightly after a recent trip to Europe, where my love for Phantasialand returned and so it's risen back up my rankings. Hoping Liseberg will make an impact somewhere later this year.

1. Europa-Park
I have been visiting this outstanding theme park for 10 years now, and it just keeps on getting better and better. It's family owned and run, which gives it a charm that most major parks simply cannot match. With investment levels, and the frequency of installations, beyond pretty much any other park in Europe, Europa-Park is constantly setting its bar higher and higher - whether it's theming, shows or food and beverage. 56 rides and attractions, up to 20 different shows every day, a parade, stacks of great places to eat, 5 hotels, a guest house, camp site and Tipi village - this is the best park I have ever been to. You won't find throughputs and operations like it, anywhere else.

This park is beautiful, in every way. The theme areas and landscaping around European countries thrown in with some great rides makes a brilliant mix. The food is good, the drinks are great and there's an array of live shows too. Genuinely, the best park in the USA that I have yet been to. Concerned about finances going forward though...

3. Cedar Point
I enjoyed the 'Point far more than I ever imagined. Take Blackpool Pleasure Beach, add more rides, bigger rides, more modern rides and bang - you've got Cedar Point. Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster and Raptor are all awe-inspiring coasters, and the rest aren't half bad either. Not to be missed!

4. Islands of Adventure
For immersion, few parks are better. It isn't higher simply because there isn't actually THAT much there. But what there is, is pure gold. Harry Potter and Spiderman are works of genuis - and the coasters aren't bad either.

5. Six Flags Great Adventure
El Toro. Bizarro. Green Lantern. Batman. Nitro. The list goes on. This park is not the most beautiful. Nor is it the best operated, far from it - but the coasters here are amongst the best in the world. A titan of theme parks for the rollercoaster goodies on show!

6. Phantasialand
Stunning theming in places, with Black Mamba in particular one of the best themed coasters in the world. With unique and crazy rides, including the brilliant Chiapas, RiverQuest, Mystery Castle and Winjas - Phantasialand is a very special place!

7. Busch Gardens Africa
Simply for Montu and Kumba. Those two coasters are both in my top 10 and I really enjoyed the park. That said, it does lack in terms of dark rides, and it's not as good as Williamsburg - but with coasters this good... who's moaning?

8. Alton Towers
It may be a little tired in places, and it often does things that irritate the heck out of me, such as closing too early, a lack of entertainment and lack of special events, but my love for Alton Towers is rooted in my life. Home to a range of top coasters and beautiful landscaping, and one of the best halloween events in Europe.

9. Parque Warner
Although the park now lacks investment, following its sale from Warner, it still has the remains of a truly amazing entertainment park. With great shows, stunning coasters and brilliant water rides - with theming to match many, it's a massively under visited and underrated park to the south of Madrid. The best park in Spain.

10. Animal Kingdom
Landscaping beyond any other park. A massively underrated place in Florida, which is home to four of its best attractions. Expedition Everest, Dinosaur!, Kilimanjaro Safaris and Kali River Rapids are some of the best examples of their respective ride type. I love the atmosphere, here.

My top ten parks has changed since I first made this topic in, mostly due to an outstanding new ride at Phantasialand rectifying a lot of the problems I had with the park. :)

1: Europa-Park
Europa is the only park that I've ever been to that feels like it's run by theme park professionals, rather than amateurs as a weekend project. Europa are not the best at anything. But crucially, they are nearly the best at almost everything. Food, operations, area design, events, shows, entertainment, quantity of things to do and general soul or character of the park. Whereas every other park may only hit one or two of these areas, EP excel in every single one. They are also absolutely unique for a park of their size in feeling like a small, independent family business while having the ride line-up firepower of a major corporation. At no point while visiting EP, from staying in the sumptuous hotels to visiting the sprawling paradise of a theme park, do you feel that you are being ripped off or taken advantage of. Every other park in the world, bar none, could learn from what is undoubtedly the best theme park in the world.

2: Disneyland Park, California
The original, and best. While EP is a constantly expanding unfinished product, Disneyland is the absolutely perfect 'complete park'. Even more-so than in Florida, the magic is engrained in every attraction, every piece of scenery. The tiny size of the park means that the maximum amount of magic must be wrung from every square inch of the place. It's idyllic, where it all began, the theme park equivalent of Mecca. Perfectly measured, perfectly proportioned, a masterpiece in miniature. And the two best rides in the park, Matterhorn Bobsleds and Indiana Jones dark rides, aren't even at any other Disney park outside Japan. Again, the line-up of this park is just crazy: Matterhorn, Indy, Jungle Cruise, Thunder, Splash, Space, Buzz and Star Tours. Wow.

3. Phantasialand
Since my last visit, the gaping hole slap-bang in the middle of the park has been filled with one of the most beautifully realised and immersive areas/attractions that I've ever seen, which has done wonders for the character of the place. Chiapas, the greatest blend of themed environment and ride hardware ever achieved, is for my money, the best water ride in the world. Looking past that, BOY do they have the hardware. RiverQuest, Mystery Castle, Mamba, Talocan, Winjas and Colorado are all among the world's greatest rides in their respective categories. The theming in the Chinese area at night is, well, it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. The single most beautiful moment I've ever experienced in a park.

4. Efteling
Ahh, my dear Efteling. The most visually-pleasing park on my list, with its gorgeous landscapes complemented by the beautiful built environments of stunningly themed rides, delectable street scenery (those lampposts!) and amazing architecture (the entrance!). Some pretty good rides too, though it needs more, but this is another park like EP where, as AstroDan put it, 'it feels like they're rolling out the red carpet for every visitor.'

5. Islands of Adventure (pre-Potter)
What it lacks in quantity, it makes up for in quality! Seriously not enough to do for a major park, but what there is to do is amazing. Dueling Dragons and the first half of Hulk are great, Spiderman is good, and the rapids, log flume and Jurassic Park boat ride are all top-notch.

6. Blackpool Pleasure Beach
A living museum. Compared to other historical amusement parks around the world, that may have one or two rides of interest, the amount of historical gems in this park is breathtaking. No other so-called 'historical' amusement park can match this place in terms of line-up. Not Kennywood, not Bakken, not Coney Island, not anywhere. The park presents a cross-section of every era of ride design from the 1900s through to the 2010s. It's a staggering treasure trove, an anthropological study in British leisure over the past century. And it's got two cracking coasters. Whenever visiting, with the number of rides on offer, I do feel like a kid in a candy-shop.

7. Alton Towers
With all the negativity around Merlin, it's easy to forget how great Alton is, if you look past the reality that the character of the park that has been decimated by the terrible company that own it. Imagine you're driving around Europe and your friend suggests a visit to a park you've never heard of. "Oh, what rides does it have?" "Oh, just an Intamin Accelerator, a B&M Flyer, an Intamin rapids, a B&M dive machine, a Maurer spinner, a HUSS Topspin, a Mack powered coaster, an experimental Intamin drop coaster, two Mack dark rides and the best regarded B&M Invert and Vekoma Madhouse in the world, respectively. Wanna go?" "Err... YES!" A park with that line-up should be much higher on the list, but the food, events, shows and cynical nature of the place let it down.

8. Magic Mountain
Absolutely no theming, soul or anything even approaching a heart. But do you know what? It's just a big load of bloody huge coasters plonked in the desert. Which is fine. Tatsu and X2 are amongst the most intense rides I've ever been on. Goliath, Terminator and Batman are all also brilliant coasters!

9. EPCOT
Something completely different - less of a theme park and more the world's greatest visitor centre. The atmosphere around the World Showcase is electric. What I love about the park is it's such a... wait for it... cerebral and thought-provoking experience. It doesn't patronise or insult your intelligence, but helps you imagine other cultures on our planet, or other planets entirely.

10. Animal Kingdom (pre-Everest)
Not enough to do really, but still great. A totally different vibe, just so relaxed. Dinosaur! and Kali River Rapids are both brilliant in their fields. Great potential in this park. What Chessington should be but never will be.

Honourable mentions: Disneyland Park (Paris), Magic Kingdom Florida, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Nigloland, Thorpe Park.

Sam said:
7. Alton Towers
With all the negativity around Merlin, it's easy to forget how great Alton is, if you look past the reality that the character of the park that has been decimated by the terrible company that own it. Imagine you're driving around Europe and your friend suggests a visit to a park you've never heard of. "Oh, what rides does it have?" "Oh, just an Intamin Accelerator, a B&M Flyer, an Intamin rapids, a B&M dive machine, a Maurer spinner, a HUSS Topspin, a Mack powered coaster, an experimental Intamin drop coaster, two Mack dark rides and the best regarded B&M Invert and Vekoma Madhouse in the world, respectively. Wanna go?" "Err... YES!" A park with that line-up should be much higher on the list, but the food, events, shows and cynical nature of the place let it down.

You missed off a 14 inverting Gerstlauer! ;)

It's been a while since I last updated my top ten parks list and having recently returned from Florida I think now is a good time to do so.

1. Europa-Park
2. Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World
3. Busch Gardens Williamsburg
4. Disneyland Parc, Paris
5. Six Flags Great Adventure
6. Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World
7. Universal Studios Orlando
8. Busch Gardens Tampa
9. Alton Towers
10. Phantasialand

No change to the top spot, Europa-Park remains my favourite and I believe that it will do for a long time to come. They just do everything so well whether that be the rides, theming, shows, events, food, hotels or anything else. The detail they go into goes above and beyond any other theme park around the world. I think the biography of Roland Mack gives a great insight into why the park like it is, the park is that great man. Really looking forward to experiencing the winter season at the park in a couple of months.

A new entry at number two and it is from Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. It is another example of a near perfect theme park providing total escapism. There are some brilliantly fun rides including Space Mountain and Splash Mountain, the theming is astounding and it is generally a nice place to be.

BGW slips down to number three and remains a park that I am very keen to return to. Universal Studios has risen into my top ten since I last did it and Islands of Adventure has fallen out, now that is not something I was expecting to happen! In reality I actually view them as one park as you don't have a day at one without the other. However I just feel that there is more to do at US than IOA, the latter feels like it's lacking something really.

Busch Gardens Tampa has fallen slightly, I did not enjoy the park as much as I remembered last month but you cannot deny that there are some brilliant coasters, most notably Kumba and Montu. Alton Towers falls all of the way down to numbe nine and even that is being a little kind; I will always have a soft spot for the park but it really is a shadow of its former self. Phantasialand remains in my top ten with PortAventura falling out; PA has done nothing wrong but I just can't find a place for it whereas I enjoyed Phantasialand far more in 2014 than I did in 2012.

Think I'm fairly happy with that order, for now!

I've only done 4 of those, but from what I've heard of the rest Disneyland Parc Paris seems like an interesting pick for 4th Rob. What about it gets it to that position for you?

I've been twice and loved it both times, simple as that really! It's one of those parks that I just really enjoy being in, that is what my top four parks all have in common. It's not always so much about the rides or just one single element, they are places whereby I feel escapism the most and that I suppose is how I truly judge a theme park. Now if I was to do a top ten for rides and/or take out emotional feelings it would be very different I think!

I thought I'd done an updated list after my first USA trip back in 2013, turns out I didn't so my previous list:

1. Europa
2. Towers
3. BPB
4. Heide Park
5. Thorpe
6. Mirabilandia
7. Phantasialand
8. Gardaland
9. Asterix
10. Efteling
...now looks pretty outdated, so it's time for a new one.

How times and opinions change, though some things stay the same:

1. Europa Park
2. Cedar Point
3. Busch Gardens Williamsburg
4. Magic Kingdom
5. Phantasialand
6. Efteling
7. Islands of Adventure
8. Alton Towers
9. Liseberg
10. Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Bubbling under are the likes of SF Great Adventure (which would absolutely be up there if the operations weren't so miserable), Kennywood (which I really liked but only had about 6hrs there and I don't feel I can really judge it properly) and Gardaland (which loses marks for the horrific fastrack situation)

I'm a bit behind on traveling the world, but...

1.) Europa Park - Outstanding resort and themepark
2.) Alton Towers - Still holds a high place in my heart
3.) Portaventura - Stunning park and some amazing rides
4.) Thorpe Park - For coasters yes, for flats no :(
5.) Chessington - My soft spot and guilty pleasure
6.) Mandy Land - Over visited but still my home growing up
7.) Drayton Manor - Apocalypse!!
8.) Flamingo Land - It has something about it I like
9.) Lightwater - Minor budget charm
10.) Legoland - Because Camelot is closed :p

I know I need to travel more. Phantasialand next year and maybe Asterix & DLP :)

1) Alton Towers
2) Blackpool Pleasure Beach
3) Duinrell
4) Futuroscope
5) Parc Asterix
5) Lightwater Valley
6) Chessington
7) Legoland Windsor
8) Bellewarde
9) Pleasurewood Hills
10) Thorpe Park...

1) Disneyland

2) Magic Kingdom

3) Europa Park

4) Universal IoA

5) California Adventure

6) Animal Kingdom

7) Hollywood Studios

8) Universal Studios

9) Phantasialand

10) Epcot

[Edited as objectively Alton Towers cannot be considered a top 10 theme park anywhere]

1) Cedar Point
2) Tokyo Disney Sea
3) Europa Park
4) Six Flags Great Adventure
5) Dollywood
6) Busch Gardens Williamsburg
7) Fuji Q
9) Phantasialand
10) Magic Kingdom, WDW

1) Disneyland Anaheim
2) Universal's Islands of Adventure
3) California Adventure
4) Magic Kingdom
5) Europa Park
6) Six Flags Magic Mountain
7) Disney Hollywood Studios (based on 2012)
8) Knott's Berry Farm
9) Animal Kingdom
10) Busch Gardens Tampa

Below that is probably PortAventura, Towers and then smaller parks like Tripsdrill and SeaWorld. Unfortunately Blackpool is essentially rock bottom for me.

Time for a big bump of this thread!

I've updated by top 10 coasters, so now it is time to update my top 10 cards. And I have found this a lot harder; I'm pretty sure of my top 6 (although the order could easily change below number 1) then after that there is a large bunch of parks that are hard to separate.
  1. Europa-Park
  3. Magic Kingdom, WDW
  4. Disneyland Park, Paris
  5. Cedar Point
  6. Silver Dollar City
  7. Efteling
  8. Animal Kingdom, WDW
  9. Busch Gardens Tampa
  10. Phantasialand/Dollywood
Europa-Park stays out in front and I have no doubts; it is the best theme park in the world.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg has overtaken Magic Kingdom after my recent visit, but only just. I remembered just how much I love this beautiful theme park and its combination of great coasters, theming and food. The atmosphere is brilliant and it is just a lovely place to be. Verbolten is a great addition since my last visit and hopefully we will see a new thrill coaster in 2020.

New entries at 5 and 6 are Cedar Point and Silver Dollar City respectfully. Cedar Point is just immense and the best park in the world in terms of ride hardware. And Silver Dollar City is just a delight, it really took me by surprise.

Efteling is a also a new entry at number 7 following my visit last year. I've only spent one day in this massive theme park and it left me wanting a whole lot more.

Animal Kingdom and Busch Gardens Tampa remain in my top 10; I've always had a soft spot for Animal Kingdom as a park and Busch Gardens Tampa does have some fantastic coasters to go with a nice environment.

Then I cannot choose between Phantasialand and Dollywood for the number 10 spot. I feel like it should be Dollywood as it is a bigger park but it was lacking something in my recent visit. Whereas Phantasialand just keeps getting better and better. I'll need more time to think about this one and see if I can come up with a definite conclusion.

The 3 parks that have fallen out of my top 10 are Six Flags Great Adventure, Universal Studios Orlando and Alton Towers. Great Adventure has some brilliant hardware but areas of the park do leave a lot to be desired; I did not enjoy it as much as my visit in 2011. Universal Studios Orlando has some great dark rides but I'd rather visit the other parks in my top 10. And Alton Towers, well, I'll always love the place but it's in a bit of a mess.