• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Towers Street Apparel

Towers Street Apparel

I understand that and obviously as a group we're very keen that any newcomer feels as integrated as possible, but with a lot of opposition to customised clothing and even more to namebadges - is there an obvious solution here?

On my first meet I knew who a few people were from being a regular poster on here - yeah it's hard to learn who everyone is straight away but isn't that an issue when you're first in any kind of social group? Facebook's very helpful too! :)

Re: Towers Street Apparel

When I go on meets these days I don't know half the people but seeing them with their forum name on the back of a towerstreet hoodie wouldn't make me think "oh so he's hobgoblin22" more "oh he's clearly a tool" :p. Augh the whole idea is so immensely cringe worthy. NoNoNo!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk 2

Re: Re: Towers Street Apparel

Q
evilcod said:
When I go on meets these days I don't know half the people but seeing them with their forum name on the back of a towerstreet hoodie wouldn't make me think "oh so he's hobgoblin22" more "oh he's clearly a tool" :p. Augh the whole idea is so immensely cringe worthy. NoNoNo!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk 2

Like I said, a badge is less of a cringe than a big logo or writibg splashed on a top!

Saying that, its obviously a topic where we need to agree to disagree. People have had mixed feeligs about this from the sounds of it as it would have been in place before now.
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Towers Street Apparel

I do like pin badges, and would certainly be interested were TST to have some made (after all, my lovely TTF ones did not gain much use :( ). However, I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing branded clothing.

Personally, when I see any branded clothing, I cringe a little. I don't understand the need to shout out about something so much, but hey that's just how I am.

However, personally I'm against any branded clothing for TS. I like the pins as they're something small and subtle which doesn't jump out and scream "Look at me!". From what I've heard, the fleeces which were introduced way back on TT weren't exactly a major success. Don't get me wrong, they were very nicely done and well made, but I can only think of seeing one or two people ever wearing them.

With regards to the point about identifying people on meets, without wanting to sound harsh, if it was such an issue I doubt meets would have been as successful as they have been over the past 10 odd years if it was such a problem. Everyone goes through that first meet experience at some point. Some people naturally take to it better than others. I think as a site though the community is close enough and well linked to give people plenty of chance to get to know others beforehand. We have the forum itself, chat, PMs, and all our social media channels which are a great place for people to get to know each other. We even set up meet topics and who's going lists in advance so that people can see who will be there and if they so wish make plans or get in touch with other. I wouldn't say we're some kind of faceless group :p

Also, in order for something like named hoodies, etc to work it relies on enough people actually wearing them. If it's just a minority then it doesn't really have any gain and looks cliquey. But similarity I think it's equally cliquey if everyone but a few have them! I mean personally I'd feel really out of place if I came to my first meet and everyone but me was in a branded hoody or something. We don't want to end up alienating those who either don't want to, or can't afford the items. We want everyone to feel welcome wether it's their first meet, or their thousandth.

But hey, I guess I just enjoy the relaxed and easygoing nature of our meets. I feel it's one of things which sets us apart from some other groups. Just turning up at any time for however long you want to and have fun! No dress code, no strict rules, none of this "you will be here at X time when we say so" just showing up and having a good time :)

Like I say, I'd be all for the small stuff like pins, etc. But anything bigger is a no for me.

DiogoJ42 said:
When Kelpie goes on her Guiders forum meets, they have name badges with both their user names and first names. Some of them even have forum branded hoodies with their user names on. So it clearly works for some online communities.
But I will agree for TST it likely wont. In Guiding we already wear a uniform (however casual it may be nowadays!) so to have branded event clothing to wear to guiding events, or just generally to show our membership (I've seen plenty of Scout and Guide people at Towers before just by identifying the hoody!) is something we embrace. We've gone far past being worried about the opinion of being 'uncool', we just don't care :p Most major camps and events will have a t-shirt etc to buy or as part of it, and we do to wear those at subsequent ones also.

As far as our specific forum meets go, most of them are a weekend away together held at Guide or Scout sites so we're self contained than in public view. Having name tags etc works well in that situation for breaking the ice etc. Still, when we have gone out and about as a forum we'll keep our Guiding clothing and forum neckerchiefs/scarves on (though neither is actually mandatory for our meets). We're happy to show off our geekiness that way! But the forum I'm on is one of a number that exist and unofficial parts of a wider national organisation, so we're displaying membership of both.

TST is a very different forum, group of people. I can see why a TS hoody/tshirt isn't necessarily a desired thing, and a lot have coaster/park clothing from elsewhere that gets worn from time to time that points to being more of an enthusiast without shouting out the specific forum we're from.

I'd like a pin badge again though - thats a subtle way of displaying which online community we belong to. Especially as a lot of us do collect coaster/theme park pin badges. (the TT one, however shortlived we ended up using them for, was lovely :D)

Obviously this on a T-shirt would be acceptable though.....
34zyl4o.png

Towers Street Apparel

I dislike branded clothing, and can't think of a single case where I've seen a member of such communities online, and thinking "what a lovely piece of clothing"...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

All these people who hate branded clothing, yet walk around Alton Towers in ride t-shirts lol!

TheMan said:
All these people who hate branded clothing, yet walk around Alton Towers in ride t-shirts lol!

There's a huge difference between official park and ride merch, and fansite merch. One says "I'm really into this ride" or "I've been to this cool park abroad". The other says "I live in my mum's basement and I like WoW".

That's a bit like saying "All these people who hate branded clothing, yet walk around the streets wearing George at Asda clothing" ;)

Alton Towers clothing can be worn by the masses, from your hardcore geek drooling over Air's mechanics to your average guest who couldn't care less about that smoke machine being turned off in Hex. The problem with website specific clothing is that it's limited to a very small audience, at most 50-60 people. This immediately makes said group stand out like a sore thumb. Judging by the comments in this topic many people do not want to stand out like a sore thumb.

Sam said:
TheMan said:

There's a huge difference between official park and ride merch, and fansite merch. One says "I'm really into this ride" or "I've been to this cool park abroad". The other says "I live in my mum's basement and I like WoW".

So basically you're saying, that this just advertises that fact, and you'd rather keep it quiet?

TheMan said:
Sam said:
TheMan said:

So basically you're saying, that this just advertises that fact, and you'd rather keep it quiet?

It's not about that. I am proud to be a member of TST, and happy to tell people I'm an enthusiast. I am comfortable with my membership of the TST group. The irony is though, if it was the sort of group that wore branded merchandise to tell everyone we were members of the group, it would no longer be the sort of group I'd be proud to be a part of, if you catch my drift.

Basically, if we chose this way to advertise that our group is awesome, it would actually make the group no longer awesome, ironically. :)

TheMan said:
Sam said:
TheMan said:

I might make a few more enemys with this comment, but I consider both to be exactly the same. Wearing park branding clothing in a theme park makes you look like a fanboy, wearing it anywhere else makes you look like a walking billboard (and a fanboy.)

I'm not against the idea of TST clothing, what people want to wear is their business and this thread has shown that a fair few people would be interested in purchasing it... but personally I'd be keeping my distance from anyone in blatant fanboy merch. :p

Ahh this subject has come up before, my personal view is i wouldn't wear it. I also refuse to wear park branded clothing (i rarely buy any merchendise). One of the things that sold TT back in the day and now TS to me is the chilled nature of the meets.

Pin-badges are a possibility.

My other big concern is i actually think the process of going around and asking people who they are is crucial to warming to meets. The people who have generally done one meet and never returned tend to be the ones who never speak or engage (even when spoken too). Obviously on a big meet you will never get around everyone but after a few meets you will be getting into the swing. I would worry that taking away that natural need to introduce yourself would maybe prevent people from striking up the conversations that allow you to further engage with the fruitloops who come on meets.

Thats just my 2p worth :D

One way of meeting up with people from here are little small mini meets before doing full on big meets, that way you know a few people in a big group.

Surely the simple solution here, is to offer the branded merch anyway. It's not like anyone is going to be forced to wear it. If you don't want to, then don't. ;)
I agree that having our names on them might be a step too far, but I don't see an issue with having the option of a TST hoodie / T shirt / string vest / novelty condom with Joel's face on it / whatever. How is it any different to wearing a hoodie with your uni name or rugby club on the front?

The novelty condom idea is possibly a goer :p

We will discus the practicalities of it and see what's what. I know the pin-badges where a massive headache to get done when we did them for TT.