• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Talk Quick Questions and F.A.Qs

Ian

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Dizz, Bobby’s Yarn Land 🧶
Hello everyone!

This topic has been created as a first port of call for anyone with quick questions to ask regarding the use and functions of TowersStreet Talk. Got a question about posting? Or wondering how this button works? Simply pop a post in here and one of our lovely members will endeavour to answer your cry for help!

Alternatively, we've produced a list frequently asked questions below, which has a few of the common questions and problems you may encounter :)

Frequently Asked Questions

Adding a picture to a post
Adding pictures to a post is a useful feature to have on the forum. It helps you to share photos with others, and given our area that's always good to see!

First of all you need to upload your image to a hosting site (Flickr, Photobucket or ImageShack for example). You can even pull images from Facebook, by pressing refresh when viewing an image in the "gallery browser" to enter the old school image viewer!

Next, open the image you want to embed in your browser, or navigate to the page where it lives. If you right click the image your browser should open a popup menu. You're looking for something like Copy Image Address, or Copy Image URL. Safari, for example, uses the menu below...

hawksey-slideshare-profile-safari.jpg

Some hosting sites may require you to get the link another way. This is normally done for copyright purposes. Just look for an option like "Get a Link" or "Embed This Image" if there is one (Flickr does this). You should get a URL something like this

http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/artua/ukrainian-motifs/512/Apple-icon.png

The giveaway you've got it right will usually be if the address ends in .jpg .png or another image file format. If you don't get the right URL the first time when you hit preview in your post don't worry! Just try and get an address another way and edit your post. If you get it wrong you won't shouldn't do any damage (Though if you do you'll have an angry Joel to answer to ;) ). Just edit the post and try again. The other members will generally just see a little X or ? where the photo should be.

Be warned, some sites do not like people linking to their images, and you may find the image in your post doesn't appear as it should, or displays a message. If this happens you may want to look for another image source, or instead post a link to the site where you found the image.

So you've got the image address? Great! Let's put it into a post. To do this it's easy. When writing your post simply insert the img tags into the post where you want to put the image. To do this either click the button with the Mona Lisa on it at the top of the post box, or type the word img between square brackets. You should have an opening tag and a closing one (The closing one has a / before the word img). Just paste the image address between the two tags and you're all set! :D

Adding an image to your signature
To add an image to your signature simply open your forum profile from the member card at the top of the screen. Then click Modify Profile and choose Forum Profile. In the Signature box simply insert your image between the tags as described above, and hit Change Profile. Job done :D

All we ask is you adhere to the following rules regarding signature images.

• The total size of a signature – that’s images and text, shouldn’t exceed around 650px wide and 150px in height.
  • Animation is fine, please just make sure it’s not too distracting.
  • So that the forum loads quickly for everyone, please make sure your signature filesize is no bigger than 250kb.

The same rules apply for avatars, but with dimensions of 130px X 130px.

Embedding a video in a post
Here at TowersStreet our Talk forums support embedding for YouTube videos. This means you can insert a video into your post. All you have to do is copy the address of the YouTube video into your post. The software will then see this and deal with all the processing itself. No tagging required :D

Nemesis Roller Coaster POV Front Seat Alton Towers UK England Inverted B&M Onride

Editing your posts
Just made a post, and realised you forgot something, or got something wrong? Fear not! Simply hit the Modify button next to your post and the editor will appear. Make any alterations you want then click Save Settings and you're away :D

For any other questions ask away below!

That's Joel's response to the Comic Sans topic.

Because he can. :p

Craig said:
The Tavern is Ben's realm, you'll find it was a landlord's request ;)
I think the team should be removed in a popular uprising as they ALL seem to be blaming each other ;)

How long is Comic Sans going to be the default setting for the tavern?

delta79 said:
How long is Comic Sans going to be the default setting for the tavern?

For as long as the Landlord wishes.... he has already asked if he can make it all pink and sparkly.... But he is that sort of guy :D

Comic Sans is here to stay until a) I get bored of it or b) people stop moaning about it. I suspect its going to take a long time yet.

I may be going against the norm with Comic Sans being easier for dyslexics to read, but i have really trouble reading it when displayed on a screen.

I think everyone has trouble reading it. Comic Sans was never designed to be plastered on web pages. Not a very visually pleasing font. :p

I'm pretty sure normality will be restored shortly, more so when the Christmas decorations et al all come down on the 5th ;)

Just a quick one, about accounts and ridecount. I want to add an account for my daughter so we can log her rides. she does not have an email address. so can i use mine for a second time to get a ride count account for her, As she is not ready to be released on to any forums.

Unfortunately not - even back when ridecount had its own accounts, you wouldn't be able to have two ridecount accounts with the same email address either.

You can obviously sign up with another email account of your own (setup another email account with your ISP, or sign up to Gmail/Hotmail/Ymail again), or you'd have to think of some other way around the system unfortunately :)

A really weird one this but bear with me haha! Where does the site obtains it's weather info from on the homepage to the main site? :)