• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Traveller day?

To be fair we want last year at scarfest it was a nightmare....
But AT when we complained about queue jumping, my wife getting abuse, etc did give us 5 free tickets, plus fast track to the big 3 rides, plus free food so we can really complain
Saw a lot of queue jumping at scarefest (didn't complain since none of the rides had more than a five minute queue), and some of them were giving abuse to people (got pushed off nemesis and someone went for an actor in DA), but that's great that towers gave you that :) not really that much they can do about it apart from increased security and not serving alcohol on park.

We were on park on Sunday knowing that it was the infamous 'Traveller Day'.

We didn't notice many until 12ish when they appeared in large numbers. In some ways it's rather entertaining, in other ways it's rather intimidating. I can only praise the staff members working on these days, large groups of lads approaching a single worker at a HB leisure game stand must be very very intimidating.

Like I said, given the grief they cause, Alton should be within their rights to ban them from entering the park, in the same way a football club can ban groups for causing trouble.

If you stopped them at the entrance they would only get in through the boundary fence...
then sell the fence for scrap.
Tricky situation for the Towers to deal with really,
I think they do as much as they can to manage the event.

It's certainly improved over the years.

A few years back towers did nothing. At least now there is a heavy police presence, security all over the park, metal detectors, security on the hotel, ban on alcohol, etc.

There really isn't much more towers can do. You certainly can't bad a whole group of people because some have caused trouble in the past. If that was the case they could ban all geeks!

There really isn't much more towers can do. You certainly can't bad a whole group of people because some have caused trouble in the past. If that was the case they could ban all geeks!

I don't recall groups of geeks breaking into vending machines to steal the money from them, or threatening and assaulting staff on the rides or scaremazes..... or threatening members of the public........ or having no dress sense whatsoever (debatable I suppose.....)

I don't recall groups of geeks breaking into vending machines to steal the money from them, or threatening and assaulting staff on the rides or scaremazes..... or threatening members of the public........ or having no dress sense whatsoever (debatable I suppose.....)

Perhaps not that, no. But it has been known for "geeks" to go into restricted ride areas, steal signs etc. So where do you draw the line? Your point about "no dress sense" is quite frankly ridiculous regardless of whether it was made tongue in cheek or not.

It's nice to see that this topic descended to where I expected it would :unamused:

Your point about "no dress sense" is quite frankly ridiculous regardless of whether it was made tongue in cheek or not.

It's nice to see that this topic descended to where I expected it would :unamused:

Someone got out of bed the wrong this morning. Yes it was meant tongue in cheek, lighten up, jeeezzzz

Someone got out of bed the wrong this morning. Yes it was meant tongue in cheek, lighten up, jeeezzzz

Not at all, I'm perfectly happy cheers man.

You haven't addressed the rest of what I put in my post though? Where do you draw the line when it's known that "geeks" in the past have gone into restricted areas/rides, stolen signs etc? All things that the park deem against policy and that (in particular the theft of signs) are illegal.

I really dislike the tone a lot of the comments in this topic have, and a few of them are disrespectful and quite insulting to be honest.

The posts are disrespectful because travellers (not all but a lot) are disrespectful. They live up to their own stereotypes and have no regard for others, or other people's property at all.

You know that from experience do you? Having met every single one of them the world over? Or are you just basing your opinions on unrepresentative tabloid and TV coverage of a small minority of them?

Yeah I do actually, had a lot of them pitching up in my area leaving their crap everywhere and stealing things, one of those things happening to be my friends dog!

If you actually read my post I said not all of them live up to their reputation but a lot do

How exactly do you enforce a traveller ban?

They don't all come in as 1 big group. You can't just tell the group leader "sorry not today" and then every single one of them turns around and leaves. They all arrive separately, in their own smaller groups.

So then how do you identify who is the supposed "traveller scum" and who is not? The way they dress? The way they talk? We are starting to set a really dangerous precedent for Alton Towers admission policy if we are going to go down this road. Should we ban everyone who looks like a Muslim during times of high terrorist threat too?

No, everyone can and will be admitted to Alton Towers regardless of ethnic background, religion, dress sense etc. Known trouble makers can be and are turned away, and those who cause trouble on the day will be ejected. That's how it always has been and how it always will be.

The fact this thread even exists is disgraceful, should probably be locked. Let's judge people as individuals please.

I don't agree that they should be 'banned' from the park in fact i think towers do a great job in diffusing the trouble now and also if something like that were to happen it would open up a whole other debate on other groups that shouldn't be allowed to visit.

However i have to agree that they are threatening and i will never visit the park on a traveller day. This is from previous experiences with people who have been threatening and the hoards of them that queue jump, i must say though that i have experienced these problems on normal days with 'normal' people, just not on the scale you do with the travellers.