• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Travellers Day Scarefest

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The thing is though if Towers and Thorpe were to refuse admission to travellers these days I suspect that it would be perhaps a case that they were breaking certain laws regarding racial discrimination or something along those lines.

That would depend on whether they refused entry based on a person's belonging to a group (illegal), or refused entry based on that individuals behaviour either on the day or previously (fine). Identifying and excluding based on previous incidents is going to be difficult bur certainly possible, especially in the age of electronic payments. Actually dealing with and booting out trouble makers on the day is much more achievable, but not cheap or without wider risk of disorder.

That would depend on whether they refused entry based on a person's belonging to a group (illegal), or refused entry based on that individuals behaviour either on the day or previously (fine). Identifying and excluding based on previous incidents is going to be difficult bur certainly possible, especially in the age of electronic payments. Actually dealing with and booting out trouble makers on the day is much more achievable, but not cheap or without wider risk of disorder.
Good answer, was going to type something extremely similar

How are the park and staff 'prepped;' about when it will happen i.e. so they can notify not to serve alcohol or employ more security? does the community inform ahead when they are coming or some sort of intel system?

How are the park and staff 'prepped;' about when it will happen i.e. so they can notify not to serve alcohol or employ more security? does the community inform ahead when they are coming or some sort of intel system?

With prebooked I imagine it's quite easy for them to tell.

Last edited:
I've got to go to Scarefest on a weekend this year for the first time, so I'm now worrying as I obviously I want to avoid traveller day at all costs.

I don't know for sure but I'd imagine they offer cheap tickets for the travelling community on specific days to encourage them to visit on those days.

I've got to go to Scarefest on a weekend this year for the first time, so I'm now worrying as I obviously I want to avoid traveller day at all costs.

It's usually a Sunday at Towers - was there for it last year the Sat and the Sun and the Sun was TD. It was not that bad to be honest as Towers has lots of space , but the Attic scaremaze was shut down apparently because it was kicking off, and there where distressed women because they'd be inappropriately touched in the Hex queue line by certain teenage lads - so stuff was going down unfortunately. We have to remember 80 perfect of the community behave perfectly fine, but there's no doubt also that bad stuff always happens too.

It’s ok saying don’t go and I completely agree ….

But it’s difficult when you don’t know the exact date of their visit.

Alton (and other parks) being on private land should refuse them admission the same way a football stadium will refuse admission to certain fans who have caused trouble in the past. The public will back them in this if they ever decided to do it (which I know they won’t)
Exactly, like I said we always try and avoid Sundays where possible but we really want two days of fright nights and weekdays are impossible for us because of our conflicting work schedules. We are going to Alton during the week because we always book a week off for our annual trip! It means the world to us, Alton is so magical for me.

The one thing I can never get over when I see the groups of them is how the girls dress...

It’s ok saying don’t go and I completely agree ….

But it’s difficult when you don’t know the exact date of their visit.

Alton (and other parks) being on private land should refuse them admission the same way a football stadium will refuse admission to certain fans who have caused trouble in the past. The public will back them in this if they ever decided to do it (which I know they won’t)
Refusing admission is a tricky one though, and very unfair especially on the staff members who would have to deal with this because you never know how the traveler's might react to being turned away.

The Tesco near me had traveler's move close to it for a couple weeks and they were having troubles everyday with young lads and instead of hiring security to deal with it they simply had to close until they moved on.

The police won't even turn up to a call regarding the community unless it's something really really serious as they will only turn up in big numbers when there's a call about travelers too.

The police won't even turn up to a call regarding the community unless it's something really really serious as they will only turn up in big numbers when there's a call about travelers too.

OK, I'll bite. Rubbish. Every call is graded, risknassessed and attended as resourcing allows. The 'police don't go to travellers' line is both tediously boring and just plain wrong.

The thing is though if Towers and Thorpe were to refuse admission to travellers these days I suspect that it would be perhaps a case that they were breaking certain laws regarding racial discrimination or something along those lines.

Exactly this. There’s a case going through the courts right now regarding another resort chain that operated a list of banned surnames - all Irish. This got out, and they seem to be in hot water for it now.

Shame they can't behave like everyone else then it wouldn't be a problem visiting on that day. If they cause lots of problems, which by the sound of it they do, then they shouldn't be allowed in. Towers don't need to accept them entry. It doesn't matter if its certain groups, they either all behave or should suffer the consequence of being refused entry

But you can't pinpoint particular individuals and focus in on them and discriminate against them. I note the word "all" in your sentence, which implies if let's 70% misbehave, then the other 30% should automatically be refused entry. There are various laws and statutes which just a blatant refusal of entry would breach, because they may be part of a particular group/culture (bad behaviour or not) and it would probably look worse on Alton Towers if they chose to do so.

There is nothing stopping them taking photos of people they eject, telling them you are not allowed back and then stopping them entering the park again, many pubs/clubs operate a similar system of excluding troublemakers. But that is individuals where they have previously proven they have misbehaved.
As above legally you cannot just exclude a whole group based on race.
Although they could do it based on clothing or something, for example a ban on football shirts being worn, as long as it is applied to everyone and not discriminating based on race/gender/religion etc

Although they could do it based on clothing or something, for example a ban on football shirts being worn, as long as it is applied to everyone and not discriminating based on race/gender/religion etc

This would be wandering into the realms of Indirect Discrimination. If said clothing rules would put those with a protected characteristic (such as Travellers) at a disadvantage, even if it was applied to all guests - it’s still illegal.

Last edited:
Even if a place like AT did try to ban travellers (which they don't have any intention of doing), an individual could just claim not to be a traveller. How would the employee on the gate prove that said person was a traveller? They couldn't, so it's a pointless debate, which incidentally has been had several times or more on here.

Pretty sure we have been through all this at least once before @Ethan - maybe more than once and many posters have explained why it isn’t legally or morally acceptable.
So you're saying it's morally wrong to ban a group typically known for causing issues and trouble. The way people have described their behaviour and the chaos of visiting when they're there, people clearly agree that they are a lot of hastle

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.