• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Travellers on park this weekend

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.

GaryH

TS Member
Reading a friends posts on Facebook it appears that travellers have descended on the park this weekend. Reports are of a heavy police presence, metal detectors, bag searches etc.

Apparently the Sanctuary had to be evacuated after an actor was assaulted.

Just in case anyone is worried, there's a significant chance that black people, gay people, Jewish people, muslim people and disabled people will visit the park at some point. I'm sure our dear friend GaryH and his connections will keep us posted!

It'd be a terrible shame to have your day ruined by minorities. ::)

Welcome everybody, to "Travellers On Park Topic 2013"

I hope you enjoy your stay.

GaryH, I have no sympathy, even I know how these topics go ;D - good luck, you will need it!

You sir, must have lost your proverbial marbles ;D

The trouble is, whilst they are a minority they have caused problems in the past. The atmosphere around Towers during scarefest was very unpleasant, especially after dark. I'd rather know that my day might be disturbed and plan to go another day, than arrive and not know.

That's my opinion anyway.

Damn it, I forgot to get in with the "in before MeatPie" comment when I first saw this thread ;)

Meat Pie said:
Just in case anyone is worried, there's a significant chance that black people, gay people, Jewish people, muslim people and disabled people will visit the park at some point. I'm sure our dear friend GaryH and his connections will keep us posted!

It is indeed. Thankfully black people, gay people, Muslim people and disabled people don't, en-mass, cause any problems ;). It's a shame the same cannot be said for travellers.

Islander said:
Meat Pie said:

It is indeed. Thankfully black people, gay people, Muslim people and disabled people don't, en-mass, cause any problems ;). It's a shame the same cannot be said for travellers.

This. I know this is not a popular topic around here, mainly, I think, because debate around the issue just tends to go around in circles, but no amount of political correctness is going to change the fact that travellers on the park is not the most pleasant experience and can spoil people's enjoyment.

People get all hot and bothered about discrimination yet the OP was immediately judged and dare I say, discriminated against because he dared to suggest a minority group caused trouble on the park. We all know there are idiots in every social grouping but let's face it, the idiot:sane ratio is fairly high amongst travellers.

This forum is one of the most diverse and accepting groups of people I have come across, which is great, but you don't have to accept every behaviour as ok just because it is performed by a minority group, and we dare not criticise any behavior by a member of a minority group!

Oh, and it's mildly annoying that this has been discussed in the shoutbox yesterday evening, but the minute someone makes a topic about it they are jumped on.

Meat Pie said:

Why do you feel the need to constantly belittle every user on this forum trying to make their opinion look worthless & stupid...it's like you're only a member of this forum to poke the preverbial fire...quite frankly I'm tired of it and no doubt many others are too.

GaryH has brought up this discussion as they do cause a lot of trouble on park, year in year out....he's not discriminating anyone, just being factual... Why don't you jump off your high horse and think before you attack everyone's posts. ::)

I'm poking the preverbial fire? So a topic that has been locked multiple times on the forum due to the sensitive nature is reopened using dehumanising language such as 'descended' and I'm the provocateur? And yawn, I know... I'm a horrible poster and everyone hates me, blah blah blah, I've heard it all before but you know what? I'd rather be that than an apologist for racism. Just justifying racism by saying 'oh yeah, but these one's actually are like our ill-informed narrow minded prejudices' doesn't cut it.

We've had rational conversations and discussions about this too many times now, so the very notion of posting a productive and reasoned explanation seems futile, but alas I'll take up the challenge. Some people here can't get over that their own pampered existences and their satisfaction isn't priority over social-cohesion. And no, that's not a vindication of anti-social behaviour, but it's the first step towards making a persecuted culture (anti-social or not, the travelling community have been consistently persecuted throughout history. That is a fact which would be hard to dispute and yet is funnily enough left out by anti-traveller racists) feel valued by the rest of society. If you feel valued you are going to act valuable, if you feel like everyone hates you and that you're just a bunch of 'sub-human scum' then you are going to act as horridly towards that society as it acts towards you.

It really depends on what you want, a continuing of a voluntary apartheid because you don't like the idea of spending a day with Travellers, or a progrssive future where mutual respect can be built up between cultures. It's not the easy thing to do, but it's the right thing to do. And don't give me this clap-trap that just being a theme park forum means it doesn't matter as any contribution we could make to social-cohesion won't make a difference. All behaviour towards making this progressive future is vital, and as I already said, it's just the right thing to do anyway.

I'm sick of Travellers being the acceptable minority to talk about like they are not human, and then the audacity of the same people to be outraged when surpise surpise, they think of and treat you like scum too.

I've commented before in one of the other topics on this subject which have been locked because they descend into childish insults and people mocking the opposite opinion, but I'll keep this to the point:

I don't care who you are, where you are from, where you live, how you live, what your background is, whether you are black, gay, Jewish, Muslim or disabled. None of that matters to me. But if you come into a theme park and misbehave, you're going to spoil the day for people that can behave. If that's how you want to behave, regardless of who you are, you shouldn't be in the park because you have no right to ruin the day for other people.

I have no problem with anyone because of who they are, but when they want to cause fuss, that's when I do.

Edit: And no, not all travellers cause fuss, before anyone tries to make out that that's what my comment is about.

Ahh yes. The old "I'm not prejudice/racist/homophobic/sexist - heck, I even know a black lesbian! - but I generalise and know for sure that ALL travellers/gypos (you may as well use a derogative term) are only out to cause trouble" topic.

I know I won't change anyone's opinions on here, although mine were changed a couple of years ago; but people really need to get some perspective. And maybe stop watching Channel 4 for the misrepresentative Freak Season

RustyRider said:
GaryH has brought up this discussion as they do cause a lot of trouble on park, year in year out....he's not discriminating anyone, just being factual... Why don't you jump off your high horse and think before you attack everyone's posts. ::)

Factual? Ok, here's another selection of facts for you:

Gay people spread AIDS

Black people are savages

Women are only useful for cooking and raising children

Muslims wearing full berkas are suicide bombers

All Scottish are drunk ginger brutes

I'm not discriminating anyone here, I'm just saying it how it is

These topics are specifically about the travellers that visit the park on certain days twice a year. They are precise to a group of people that visit a certain place on a specific day and are inspired by factual evidence.

The have-a-go liberals that are attacking generalisations and stereotypes should not be having a go at the OP, as it contains none.

EuroSatch said:
Factual? Ok, here's another selection of facts for you:

Gay people spread AIDS

Black people are savages

Women are only useful for cooking and raising children

Muslims wearing full berkas are suicide bombers

All Scottish are drunk ginger brutes

I'm not discriminating anyone here, I'm just saying it how it is

Perhaps you should inform the park that they're a bunch of rasists and their decision to bring in police, metal detectors and bag searches is based on nothing more than prejudice. Or perhaps it's based in the fact they do actually deal with a disproportionately large number of incidents when travellers come to the park? Would they do it if it wasn't necessary? Subject their customers to that level of interrogation?
I don't think anyone in this thread thus far has stated the view that ALL travellers are trouble and I'd hope no one believes that, but there's nothing to be gained in hiding from the facts. You can paint the view that 'Gay people spread AIDS' is some prejudice delusion, and while it's some pretty nasty terminology, it's based in some uncomfortable fact. Us gay men are massively dissporportionately affected by HIV/AIDS. It's how you approach such issues that is critical. Facts need to be acknowledged so we can ask why, and work to a solution; not stick our fingers in our ears and pretend the world will become an equal and liberal utopia if we're all nice to each other and ignore each others problems.

Lol. I knew MeatPie would have been the first to comment, too predictable !!! Anyway, in order to keep my sanity I tens to never read any of his posts anymore....!

Anyway, I suppose you better also write and complain to Alton towers, surely by having all this extra security in they are discriminating against them???? Personally, if a group of drag queens went there for the day and attacked an actor in the Sanctuary I would have made the same comment. I don't really care they are travellers, fact is an actor was attacked, its not acceptable, it happened to be a traveller that did it..... Fact.

Sorry guys but you only need to read the thread to see why I'm locking this.

I can see the point of the original post, but we will end up in a continual battle of words unless its locked.

Until next year...

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.