• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Trip Planning Questions and Discussion

Planning an overnight stay on the 23rd March to take advantage of the late night opening. Trying to decide between Splash Landings (which I've stayed in a few times before and think is generally fine) or an Enchanted Lodge. Is anyone that has stayed in both able to give me their recommendation? Also, if booking with a merlin pass, are you asked for that on check-in?

Planning an overnight stay on the 23rd March to take advantage of the late night opening. Trying to decide between Splash Landings (which I've stayed in a few times before and think is generally fine) or an Enchanted Lodge. Is anyone that has stayed in both able to give me their recommendation? Also, if booking with a merlin pass, are you asked for that on check-in?

Really it all comes down to personal preference and what ages you are staying with.

Splash can be a loud and busy place, which for some is it’s strength and it certainly goes down well with younger kids and families.

Personally I prefer the lodges as it’s a quieter experience and a bit more laid back.

They both have good and bad points really.

Enchanted village rooms are a little bigger and newer, if you have a bigger group it’s good cause you have a seperate room rather than everyone sleeping in one. Also if weather is nice you have your little porch area to sit out on.

Of course splash is closer to the park, has its own bar, etc so less walking. And is usually cheaper.

As for checking in it’s all done on self service machine so I don’t think they’ll ask for card.

If you don't mind the extra walking distance, I'd vouch for the Enchanted Village. As long as you aren't bothered by feeling a bit separated from the rest of the complex. (This also depends on which lodge you're given, it's not so bad if you get the ones closest to the hotels)

Having seen the footage of Nemesis Reborn, I'm feeling nostalgic and looking at coming over for a night or two over my birthday next month. Crowd calendar suggests last year was very quiet midweek at the end of April, is this fairly reliable typically, wise AT Veterens?

I've not done an overnight at a park solo before and would much, much rather do it when it's quiet haha.

Having seen the footage of Nemesis Reborn, I'm feeling nostalgic and looking at coming over for a night or two over my birthday next month. Crowd calendar suggests last year was very quiet midweek at the end of April, is this fairly reliable typically, wise AT Veterens?

I've not done an overnight at a park solo before and would much, much rather do it when it's quiet haha.
If I miss the late March midweek visit, I do an after Easter April midweek visit. Always quiet.

I am heading to Towers on Wednesday, getting the train from London and staying overnight at Splash Landings. Last few times I have been I have booked a taxi from Uttoxeter, however I really hate travelling by car so I am bringing my ebike up this time, which should be no problem tackling the Alton hills. Anyone know if there is official bicycle parking by the main entrance or outside hotels or if I'm ok just locking it to a lamppost? Also was thinking of cycling to the chained oak and Alton train station in the evening, anything else nearby worth a quick look at whilst I'm there?

The answer to my question is no, there is no bicycle parking at Alton Towers, which I find a bit odd. Security happy for me to chain it to a lamppost next to the monorail station and hotel happy for me to lock it to the fence outside the main entrance so happy with that. Highly recommend taking an ebike if you're coming by train, tackled the hill to Farley no problem, no taxi or parking charges and no waiting for the monorail, 5 minute cycle from Towers Street to hotel. Perfect.

Don't you worry about someone angle grinding through your lock and taking off with your transport? They can do it so quickly now, even on some of the tougher locks. All it really takes is a dodgy guest to see it and text one of their more dodgy mates as to its location. Obviously I hope that it all goes well for you, but personally I would be anxious about it all day :tearsofjoy:

Not really, it also has a wheel lock on it so would be a pain to break through that. The Dutch bike I use back home has a thick chain lock and a wheel lock too and I chain that up on the street outside my office in Central London every day, never had it nicked.