• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TST Film Review Thread

I also watched Avatar 2 a few days ago and it confirmed pretty much all of my preconceptions, in particular that James Cameron's work has descended further and further into pretentiousness since Terminator 2.

I don't like the overuse of CGI in movies as I think they can ruin them. But then at the same time I consider both the Avatars to be pretty much animated movies anyway and there's not a person on the planet who can go in to watch either and say they didn't know what they were letting themselves in for. It looks mostly as you'd expect it to, but I do want to shout out the ramped up frame rate. I think that's an excellent choice for movies with so much CGI and it did suit it. It was a joy to watch move.

But so excited and proud of themselves at what they had created with Disney's millions, it seems like they didn't want to let anyone walk out the cinema without wanting to show off how clever they thought they were. May have worked the first time round if you liked the art direction then, less so now. At over 3 hours for such a simple plot, it felt like a slog to me. It seemed like every plot device had to then cue many minutes of pretty moving pictures. Yeah, I got the point 10 mins ago, can we move on from all this tech demo like/pretentious stuff and get on with it please? This happened over and over again. At least these bits provided an excellent opportunity to go to the toilet without missing anything should nature call.

As for the plot itself? Well other than a sprinkling of stuff and new characters that felt like they were just inserted to make the movie more interesting, it was pretty much a rehash of the first film. Think Home Alone 2, most Rocky sequels or Die Hard 2 here. It also employed loads of tired and well worn out plot devices that have been used to death in other movies, some of which shouldn't be spoiled I guess despite their predictability. But some examples that won't spoil anything as they happen early on in the movie:

Bad guy comes back from the dead for revenge.

We're back! But we've been keeping ourselves busy......

"Luke, I am your father!"

Go somewhere where you're different and struggle to find acceptance at first - struggle to fit in..... blah blah I think we all know how this always ends.

Kid gets told not to do something, go somewhere or touch the forbidden fruit, ignores parents and does it anyway, has to be saved and/or scolded as a result learning an important life lesson. Basically Simba and Nala defy Mofasa and go to the elephant grave yard anyway kind of stuff "Simba, you deliberately disobeyed me, you could have got yourself killed". This happens no less than 3 TIMES in 1 film!

On the plus side though, it does get better in the last hour when everything starts exploding and everyone starts punching each other in the face and shooting at one another. Not really a spoiler since this happened in the first movie and the formulaic penultimate battle was inevitable before the opening credits finished (which also contains many more predictable "shock horror, look what's happened" moments). Some great action actually and the odd tense moments. Surprisingly brutal for a 12a in places.

If you like the characters and like the first film then you'll love this. If you like pretty colours and CGI eye candy, same. There's some fun to be had at times but I found enjoyment was being sapped away with long drawn out "look what we made, have we made you feel emotionally connected to the characters yet?" scenes that were wasted on me and only served to draw out the running time. The plot is extremely formulaic and incredibly lazy for the most part although there are some decent stories to be told here and there. It's just so hard to treat the movie as seriously as it wants to treat itself.

I've seen Avatar: Way of Water twice, once in my local IMAX and then a second time at the BFI IMAX in London.

I've always said with Avatar, the story is what it is. Think about the likes of Star Wars, MCU etc. Basic plot, rehash each film, good fights bad, rinse and repeat. Avatar is the same and brings nothing new to the table in that respect.

That said, from a technical view, it is one of my greatest cinematic experiences, and I've seen a lot of films at the cinema. As someone who dislikes 3D, Avatar is a perfect example of how good 3D can enhance a film. Not motion sickness inducing, not gimmicky; subtle, but done in a clever way to really immerse you into the film and Pandora. I'm seeing it again in 2D soon but I think a lot of the experience will be lost. Worth also mentioning the final hour is classic James Cameron, absolutely brilliant action.

I understand Avatar is not for everyone, and some people don't get the hype, but there's no question, you just cannot write off James Cameron at the box office. Some people were desperate for this film to flop (I don't really get why), it's already close to hitting $2bn and is likely to finish as the fourth highest-grossing film of all time, Cameron has two others in the top three. An incredible achievement.

The whole discourse before the movie came out was bizarre. Some of the arguments about the original cultural legacy, or the whole name x amount of characters from the original.

Anyhow...

Saw a few new films this week both featuring towering central performances.

Firstly Till starring Danielle Deadwyler in an amazing performance as Mamie Till-Mobley as she deals with the effects of her son being lynched in Mississippi. It's definitely not an easy watch (thankfully they don't show the murder on screen) as we see the build up and then fallout.

Pretty sure Deadwyler will get an Oscar nomination, but for me the front runner now is Cate Blanchett.

Blanchett stars, no dominates, Tar playing the fictious Lydia Tar a world renowned conductor who should be at the high point of her career before her past and present actions start to catch up with her. It's a long film but I think it pulls you in and is so engrossing you just want more. Blanchett is in nearly every shot of the film and has never been better.

The Menu.

Starts of weird, gets weirder still. Has a familiar plot to that off a certain children's film.

Some strange but cool things and some great little Easter eggs.

Cool ending too.

8/10

Saw Puss In Boots The Last Wish today, the first film in a long time to take place in the Shrek Cinematic Universe (I think that's a thing now).

And its great, got a visual style that takes it away from the Shrek films, more akin to Spider-verse and Mitchells vs The Machines. Sort of weird now that Pixar seems to be falling behind in this regard (bar the anime flourishes in Turning Red).

The story is very well done with Puss now down to his last life attempting to locate a fallen star he can wish on to restore his lives. Assisted by Kitty Softpaws, and a chihuahua and perused by Goldilocks and the 3 bears, and Jack Horner. And even more scarily Death itself in the form of a wolf.

Highly recommended.

The Menu.

Starts of weird, gets weirder still. Has a familiar plot to that off a certain children's film.

Some strange but cool things and some great little Easter eggs.

Cool ending too.

8/10

I really enjoyed it. My wife was entirely bemused by it.

I watched a review which compared it to
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
which helped me understand it in a weird way

Just been to see the stop motion/live action hybrid Marcel The Shell with shoes on. Originally created as a series of short films this expands out into into feature length territory as Marcel (and his grandmother) use his Internet fame to try and find his lost family.

It's very creature comforts in its style, and whilst invoking Aardman the modern masters of this art form may provoke fears of this films quality. It really doesn't and the film is an absolute delight. Gets you right in the feels in parts, and is deceptively funny at times.

Nominated for best animated film at the Oscars and I could see it beating GDTs Pinnochio its got that much heart in it.

Hungry Slow Motion GIF by Cocaine Bear

Went to see the new Elizabeth Banks film Cocaine Bear today.

The name explains the film perfectly, the bear does Cocaine.

Based/inspired on an actual event were drugs were chucked out of an aeroplane and found and ingested by a black bear.

However the bit were it goes on a murderous rampage however has been invented.

Featuring Ray Liotta in his final role alongside Alden Eldenrich, and beloved character actress Margo Martindale and others. As drug dealers, park rangers, and people looking for their kids whilst the bears on the loose.

Overall its a fun film but doesn't soar the way the original trailer did, or just the name of the film.

Trying to do both horror and comedy it very much falls between the two stools. Despite this there's a few holy fuck moments throughout.

Don't coke the bear.

It's the Oscars tonight, feel it's been a really strong year for cinema.

Having seen all ten nominees for best picture this is how I'd rank them...

1 Everything Everywhere All at Once
2 The Banshees of Inisherin
3 Tár
4 Women Talking
5 The Fabelmans
6 Top Gun: Maverick
7 All Quiet on the Western Front
8 Triangle of Sadness
9 Elvis
10 Avatar The Way of Water

In the Animated Film list I'd rank them as

1 GDTs Pinocchio
2 Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
3 Turning Red
4 Puss In Boots - The Last Wish
5 The Sea Beast

Again another strong line up.

I’m not typically a film watcher (have to really want to watch a film to bother to actually find the motivation to sit and watch one), but after a recommendation from a colleague I watched The Menu last night.

Starring Ralph Fiennes as a genius/deranged celebrity chef, the film follows several groups of people in his exclusive restaurant all dining from the same menu, which consists of unexpectedly gruesome and twisted levels of theatre before each course!

I was thoroughly engaged from start to finish, despite a few plot holes and moments which didn’t make much sense, but the overall narrative was a really interesting one, and had a weirdly satisfying ending.

John Wick - Chapter 4. Just an absolutely breathtaking piece of action film making. So inventive at times with the way it was filmed.

Sorry pluk, if that is the most exciting thing ever, you have had a very sheltered life.
...and with your job, I just don't believe you!

Yeah, OK, maybe it's not that exciting! But having been a fan for so long, after seeing him as a support for Milton Jones long before he was well know, it is quite exciting to see him taking off in ways like this.

John Wick - Chapter 4. Just an absolutely breathtaking piece of action film making. So inventive at times with the way it was filmed.
Agreed! Best of the series so far...
There’s no way they’ve killed him off, but how are they going to bring him back?

Agreed! Best of the series so far...
There’s no way they’ve killed him off, but how are they going to bring him back?
I think he is, I remember an interview with the director when rye 3rd one came out saying in his mind John's story can only end with his death.
Saying that there's definitely enough leeway for him to come back basically saying he faked his death with the help of Winston.

They've confirmed a Continental prequel series around a younger Winston, and Ballerina a film starring Ana De Armas.

Very much enjoyed Dungeon & Dragons - Honour Among Thieves

Chris Pine and Hugh Grant (in almost Paddington 2 form) both great. Really good supporting cast. And a story that's fun but also true to the roots of D&D itself.

Super Mario Bros

Was disappointed with this, the character design, look of the world, references, how the action bits were done was all excellent.

Completely ruined by a ridiculously basic plot. A real pity when so many animated films can get it all right nowadays.

Still it's had a massive opening day so hopefully they can do better with the inevitable sequel.

AIR

Aka We Bought A Shoe

Basically a film were you know the ending, Nike signed Jordan and destroyed the competition.

But the acting and and script makes it an interesting underdog tale of how the company that couldn't even get in the room eventually won the day.

Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Jason Bateman all good but Viola Davis is excellent as Jordans mother.