• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TST Film Review Thread

Favourite new movies this year, Killers of the Flower Moon is an absolute masterpiece in film making and takes my top spot. Closely followed by Openhiemer which I went the following week to watch again. Maybe Napoleon after that.

Surprises of the year include Scrapper and Wonka. Saw Scrapper on an advanced screening and I'm glad I did, a very down to earth and heartfelt film. Wasn't expecting much from Wonka when I went last night, but as soon as I heard the tune for Pure Imagination from the get go, my heart was warmed and what followed was an audible and visual feast of pure majesty. Ironic that the plot felt very joyously Roald Dahl, despite the fact it's a prequel to Gene Wilder's 1971 outing, which Dahl disliked, rather than Burton and Depp's 2005 outing that was far closer to Dahl's original work.

As for disappointments, first up is Avatar. In my view, James Cameron's last true masterpiece was Terminator 2, but starting with Titanic, his movies just seem to be predictable, pretentious nonsense, some of this interlaced with long drawn out eye candy visuals to draw out the run time. This movie is the very pinnacle of this. Dial of Destiny, well if you thought Crystal Skull had lost it's way, you ain't seen nothing yet. Not a complete car crash, there are some funny bits, in some ways it felt more classic Indiana Jones than the last outing, and the opening scenes are brilliant. But it's a clear attempt to cash in on an IP people have nostalgia for and adds nothing to the franchise lore. Then we have Thanksgiving which doesn't even fall into the so bad it's good category, even though it tries it's very best to do so.

Roll on One Life and Ferrari, both of which I'm going to see this evening.

Thought 2023 was a cracking year for films.

The Boy and The Heron, The Fabelmans, Napoleon and Killers of The Flower Moon. 4 great films from absolute giants of cinema.

In animation (though it's a medium not a genre) as well as Miyazakis return we also had Puss In Boots 2 which was so so good, we returned to the Spider-Verse and were wowed again, Nimona which was rescued from the wreckage of the Disney purchase of Fox and was better than any of the Mouses recent animated output, and finally the load of fun Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Mutant Mayhem.

Other big films for me were Tar, the brilliant Past Lives (maybe my film of the year) and a really great Godzilla Minus One that closed out the year so well.

As for 2024...

That got underway for me today starting with

Priscilla the new film from Sofia Coppola charting Priscilla Presleys life from meeting Elvis until they separated. Thought it was a really intoxicating movie. Would make a good double bill with 2022s Elvis.

I followed that up with One Life based on the remarkable story of Nicholas Winton who in the late 1930s helped to arrange for over 600 child refugees from Czechozovakia after the Germans occupied the sudetenland. The film flips between the events of the 1930s and him in 1987 and the events that led to his famous appearance on That's Life.
Probably a bit by the numbers film wise but still still a great story and we should always cherish another performance from Anthony Hopkins.

I saw One Life tonight, followed by Ferrari.

I see what you mean about it being by the numbers, but extremely well made none the less. Every performance in the movie was excellent, particularly Hopkins, and it genuinely moved me at the end. I thought it was great and I would highly recommend it.

Funny you should mention double bills, because that's exactly what I thought about Ferrari. It would make an excellent double bill with 2019's Ford v Ferrari as it does make reference a couple of times to the events depicted in that movie, as both are based on real events, even though both productions are unrelated.

Society of The Snow about the Uruguyan rugby team that crashed in the Andes. Brand new on Netflix and a very good watch. Really gripping story.

Sort of annoying when things like this debut on Netflix as it really detracts from the scope of what was filmed.

Society of The Snow about the Uruguyan rugby team that crashed in the Andes. Brand new on Netflix and a very good watch. Really gripping story.

Sort of annoying when things like this debut on Netflix as it really detracts from the scope of what was filmed.
Yeah that sounds right up my street, but I never have time for Netflix anymore. Shame really.

Busy few days catching up on a few films.

Watched Noah Baumbachs 'White Noise' which started Adam Driver and Greta Gerwig, a proper oddity of a film. Funny in parts but also quite warped and genre bending.

Followed that up with May December which has been getting quite the buzz for it's lead stars. Really well acted.

And today managed a double bill at the cinema with firstly,

The Boys In The Boat directed by George Clooney. Really enjoyed this but felt quite safe and doesn't quite spark the way you'd want a sports drama too. Really bizarre framing of the narrative as well.

And finally the new Jason Statham actioner The Beekeeper were he protects the hive whilst we run through as many honey and bee jokes as possible. Though I don't think it's supposed to be a comedy. Utterly stupid.

My fifth cinema visit of the year this afternoon was to see another of the 2024 awards favourites Poor Things.

Having enjoyed the directors previous film The Favourite, this was ridiculously outrageous and like something I'd never seen before. Emma Stone is amazing as the main character Bella Baxter. Not seen Mark Ruffalo this good for years either. It's very funny at times, but also not for everyone.

Sing 2 8/10

A nice feel good family film, takes a little while to get going but the animation is impressive and the plot carries through relatively well. Bono is involved for the same reason I assume Cher was in Mamma Mia 2.

LIFT 1/10

No redeeming features here. If you like Heist movies, go watch other heist movies, if you like Kevin Hart movies, go watch Kevin Hart movies.

This film is Kevin Hart wants to star in every heist movie in one go. The plot is poor, the scenarios are poor. The ending is poor.

Don't even bother. Go watch paint dry or something.

With the Oscar nominations out today I'm continuing to watch all the films I can, seen 7 of the 10 best picture nominees. The last 3 I'll hopefully see over the next fortnight.

Conveniently two of the films that have picked up acting nominations are on Netflix.

Rustin, starring Colman Domingo, the film centres in him helping organise the 1963 March on Washington as part of the civil rights music. Really good film about a man whose sort of been forgotten about. Great central performance, and a really good supporting cast.

Nyad, a biopic on the open water swimmer Diana Nyad played by Annette Benin. Also starring Jodie Foster as her best friend. Who after failing to swim from Cuba to Key West at the age of 28 tries again after turning 60.

More Oscar goodness for me today

Finally saw The Holdovers today, Paul Giamatti plays the professor who has to baby sit the students at a 1970s New England boarding school who aren't leaving for the holidays.

Downbeat at times with some of the themes, but also hilarious. They really messed up with the release of this as at its heart it's a pure Christmas film that'll definitely be something that gets added to the annual build up to Christmas must watch film category.

Yknow I'm surprised I don't actually post on this thread much, which is something I should change. Film is so important to me!

A colleague recommended After Hours, and being a big Scorsese fan, I couldn't resist - and yeah, this was wicked. A relatively simple idea - a guy in New York going on an impromptu date that goes wrong, and then spends the rest of the night trying to get home, but ends up in increasingly weird scenarios. Sharp, witty, and pretty stressful at times - imagine the bastard child of Good Time and Eyes Wide Shut, but directed by Edgar Wright. Had a lot of fun with this one; am hoping to tick off a few more of his films in the coming weeks. 4.5/5

Whenever I find myself seeing a play in London, I'll usually check out the arthouse cinemas beforehand - the BFI are making quite the fuss of Werner Herzog at the moment, so I caught a matinee of The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser. This left me an emotional wreck! If anyone's seen Room (not the Tommy Wiseau masterpiece unfortunately), then you'll be familiar with the premise of someone living exclusively in a prison-like cell - but this took it a step further with the titular character having spent considerably longer with no-one else. Raised so many beautiful, daring questions about how the world perceives difference and accepts disability into day-to-day life. Considering it's celebrating it's 50th anniversary, this is definitely a revolutionary film. 4/5

Randomly last week at work, I felt the urge to rewatch Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (perhaps I realised I needed something less pretentious!). Objectively, yeah it ain't great, but I don't care, Mike Myers is - and always has been - a funny guy. Such an easy film to unwind to. 3/5

Is anyone else here on Letterboxd? It's basically a more trendy version of IMDb for the die-hards - plenty of fun if you watch one a week, or one a month.

Nominated for Best British Film at the Baftas I saw All Of Us Strangers .

Starring the excellent Andrew Scott as Adam, plus Paul Mescal, Claire Foy, and Jamie Bell.

Adams a screen writer living in an empty apartment block who starts a relationship with Paul Mescals character. At the same time when trying to write about his own family returns to his family home to find his parents who died in a car crash when he was 11 living there. So the film goes between Adam in his flat and in London, along with him visiting his parents.

A really moving film, amazing performances from the 4 main characters.

Yknow I'm surprised I don't actually post on this thread much, which is something I should change. Film is so important to me!

A colleague recommended After Hours, and being a big Scorsese fan, I couldn't resist - and yeah, this was wicked. A relatively simple idea - a guy in New York going on an impromptu date that goes wrong, and then spends the rest of the night trying to get home, but ends up in increasingly weird scenarios. Sharp, witty, and pretty stressful at times - imagine the bastard child of Good Time and Eyes Wide Shut, but directed by Edgar Wright. Had a lot of fun with this one; am hoping to tick off a few more of his films in the coming weeks. 4.5/5

Whenever I find myself seeing a play in London, I'll usually check out the arthouse cinemas beforehand - the BFI are making quite the fuss of Werner Herzog at the moment, so I caught a matinee of The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser. This left me an emotional wreck! If anyone's seen Room (not the Tommy Wiseau masterpiece unfortunately), then you'll be familiar with the premise of someone living exclusively in a prison-like cell - but this took it a step further with the titular character having spent considerably longer with no-one else. Raised so many beautiful, daring questions about how the world perceives difference and accepts disability into day-to-day life. Considering it's celebrating it's 50th anniversary, this is definitely a revolutionary film. 4/5

Randomly last week at work, I felt the urge to rewatch Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (perhaps I realised I needed something less pretentious!). Objectively, yeah it ain't great, but I don't care, Mike Myers is - and always has been - a funny guy. Such an easy film to unwind to. 3/5

Is anyone else here on Letterboxd? It's basically a more trendy version of IMDb for the die-hards - plenty of fun if you watch one a week, or one a month.

yes, mate, this is mine. nice to see love exposure in your favourites. not a film i could get in to but definitely one i will rewatch at some point. i can't deny the artistry but by god there's a lot to take in.

Just back from seeing The Zone Of Interest, which is nominated for best picture, best international film, and best director.

The film more or less spends its run time seeing the daily goings on of the Rudolph Hoss household. If you don't know Hoss was the camp commendant at Auscwitz. In fact when I did the tour in 2021 they pointed out his house, which was just on the other side of the fence.

Focusing on the banality of evil with the shadow of the camp and what's happening always off screen. It's an oppressive watch, with so much left unsaid.

An amazing and important film.

Regarding letterboxd I signed up this week to make tracking films I've watched easier to do going forward.

Just tried to add to my diary all the films I saw at the cinema (and a few streamers) for 2023 and into this year before I'll go on a mega adding spree now.

Been to see Argylle today, was OK. Bryce Dallas Howard and Sam Rockwell were lots of fun. Henry Cavill was decent as the ficticious spy. Probably 20 minutes too long, also the action set pieces towards the end weren't as good as the ones in Kingsmen.

Been to see Argylle today, was OK. Bryce Dallas Howard and Sam Rockwell were lots of fun. Henry Cavill was decent as the ficticious spy. Probably 20 minutes too long, also the action set pieces towards the end weren't as good as the ones in Kingsmen.
Also went to see this today and thought it was brilliant. The two big fight scenes were amazing, and as cat lovers we were very invested in poor old Alfie. It dragged a tiny bit in the middle but soon picked up again. The soundtrack is also very good 10/10