• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TST Film Review Thread

D4n

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Zadra
Seen a decent film recently? Or even an utterly dyer one? Why not share your recommendations and opinions with the rest of the members here at TowersStreet? I for one am rather eager to hear the recommendations on offer in terms of future film viewings. I'll start us off then shall I, did I mention that the films didn't have to necessarily be new releases, it could be an older movie... as is Full Metal Jacket, which I finally watched for the first time this afternoon.

Regulars will no doubt be aware that I've slowly been working my way through the works on Stanley Kubrick in recent times, and I'm pleased to say that this way certainly one of his more enjoyable works, uniquely entertaining in the way that I've come to expect from Kubrick. The pacing is interesting; seemingly switching from one movie to another midway through, maintaining only a couple of lead characters, and it works particularly well in terms of both storyline and character development.

The first half consists entirely of a marine training camp, and the ridiculously harsh treatment inflicted upon future recruits by the Sergeant in charge. It works well as a character study with regards to people's reactions to being mistreated and, to some extent, dehumanised through harsh punishments and mistreatment, as they aim to become 'killing machines'. Despite some moments of black comedy it's an emotional rollercoaster leading up to a film 'climax' which can't be spoiled.

But instead of ending the film hereby cuts to the most effective, in my opinion of all interpretations of the Vietnamese war ever on film. With likeable characters, a consistent storyline and (above all) the intelligent and snappy, witty direction of Stanley Kubrick, it struggles to go wrong, if only dragging briefly towards the finale. Acting, writing and effects are all spot on, along with some unique and well-placed effects and camera techniques.

This is certainly a recommendable film. 8/10

Prometheus **Warning: may contain spoilers**

I have never watched any of the other Alien films (as this is a sort of prequel) so I watched this with an open mind. It's an own film in its right and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The plot is rather generic, yet interesting and how the whole film pans out well. Some rather lovely CGI, good action scenes and overall a very enjoyable film!

The ending is a big 'oh my god' moment, and only really then you realise the strong Alien link. I'm not going to say what happens, bit it is rather interesting and made me at least want a Prometheus 2 to be made (although unlikely).

James' Rating: 9/10

Sharktopus
If you have high expectations from a film about a shark genetically crossed with an ocotpus, then you are quite frankly, stupid.
A decent film for a night in with friends due to the sheer hilarity of it. I have seen better CGI on low budget T.V shows, and better acting in school plays.
Awful film, but if you're with the right company, it can make for decent entertainment.

2/10

Prometheus
It may be because I know little of the Alien franchise that I didn't enjoy this film. Though the acting was certainly nothing do be sniffed at, as with the sets and costume, I found the plot somewhat mundane.
I found it predictable and foreshadowing was, in my opinion overused.
Many of the "shock" moments in the film didn't shock me as they weren't a revelation.
Though I understand that with a sci-fi film they ae not meant to be perhaps realistic, but there were sections of the film that made me frustrated as it just wouldn't happen.
A decent film, though certainly not on my "top list" for the year.
5/10

Moonrise Kingdom
I've never seen a Wes Anderson film before, and was warned by my cinema-going buddy that he has a very distinct style, which either you like or you don't. I'm not sure I do. It was all a bit twee, and I got a bit bored of watching scenes with just children in them. It felt a bit plinky-plonky hipstery for me. However, some bits were entertaining, and I always enjoy watching Bill Murray and Tilda Swinton.

6/10

Men In Black 3

Saw this last night in 3d. MIB3 is a very enjoyable film but it is a typical popcorn film, nice to watch it at the time and a fine way to spend two hours but very forgettable once you leave.

Will Smith is his charming, funny self in it but IMO the star of the show is Josh Brolin his impression of Tommy Lee Jones is spot on, so convincing you will spend time thinking could they be actually related!

The 3d (when used) is good and it engages with the design of the movie. The plot is as you expect it although without spoiling the ending it does wrap up the trilogy in a nice way. That being said please stop at 3!!

Overall I'll give MIB3 a 6/10 enjoyable but forgettable at the same time! ???

Sam said:
Moonrise Kingdom
I've never seen a Wes Anderson film before, and was warned by my cinema-going buddy that he has a very distinct style, which either you like or you don't. I'm not sure I do. It was all a bit twee, and I got a bit bored of watching scenes with just children in them. It felt a bit plinky-plonky hipstery for me. However, some bits were entertaining, and I always enjoy watching Bill Murray and Tilda Swinton.

6/10

I'd reccomemend The Royal Tenembaums and Rushmore as arguably Wes Andersons best films, Bill Murray unsurprisingly appears in them as well.

saw Woody Allen: A Documentary the other day would definitely reccommend it if your a fan of his work, it features interviews with the great man himself as well as most people hes worked with over the years, plenty of clips from his early career as well as his movies.

8/10 - the version at the pictures is about 2 hours long but the original 2 part tv version is about 3 1/2 hours so I'll have to check that out at some point

If The Royal Tenembaums is one of his best works then I have no desire to see the others!

I live in a house obsessed with WW2, Nazis, the Cold War and the East-West German/Berlin divide. Surprisingly there are a lot of films that fit this bill.

The other night we watched Anonyma -Downfall of Berlin

It is based on a diarised account of the Red Army seizing control over Berlin and the subsequent involvement with the Berlin citizens, and was written by a lady in East Berlin who wished to remain anonymous when published in 1954 for fear of the political implications it would have. Her name was revealed As Marta Hillers following her death in 2003, who had been a journalist during the war, and had occasionally been involved with publishing nazi propaganda, although was not declared fascist herself.

The film was brutal, with the portrayal of the number of women who were repeatedly raped during the days of the Red Army arriving, and often south out sexual partners within the army as protection against other comrades for fear of further abuse. There are, as would be expected, implications for the women, their families, and the soldiers, and the whole tale was quite a harrowing yet gripping portrayal of the events.

The element of truth to the file brought a greater depth than your typical war-romp, although this did mean that often you feel less like you are moving forwards with any narrative, but taking a slow stumble along with the awful events with the main character, Anonyma.

Overall I rate this film 7/10. Well recommended if you have a penchant for this era of modern history

That sounds like an interesting film actually. In a "not actually nice" way :/

A Game of Shadows
Having eagerly awaited viewing of this sequel to Sherlock Holmes ever since it's cinematic release, I finally had the opportunity to watch it on DVD last night... and I'm delighted that I am able to hold it in such high regard having now finally experienced it. Indeed, it's rare that a sequel surpasses the original; for me the few exceptions to this rule include Aliens, Toy Story 3 and now A Game of Shadows.

However, I struggle to so much as consider this as a Sherlock Holmes film, considering that it really doesn't match the storyline, tone nor characteristics which we have come to expect through past adaptations. It's difficult not to hold against it that the character has clearly been used as a tool in order to market the film to a larger audience, as opposed to because it is relevant. Though this I won't necessarily take into account since it should be judged in it's own right.

This film has everything that the original Guy Ritchie film had; likeable actors in likeable roles, frequent explosions and well choreographed fight scenes with the occasional hint at wit and intelligence. It's little more than popcorn entertainment and shouldn't be judged as anything more; nonetheless, considering that, it's at the very top of the genre for watch-ability.

The film is so beautifully paced that it easily flies by, never dull and never dragging, with just the correct levels of humour and action wanted. Guy Ritchie's direction is, as ever, unique and consistently interesting; keeping the viewer enticed even when the writing itself seems to come to a temporary halt, with very similar scenes being made to feel very different. A skill which Michael Bay could hopefully acquire to give his 'Transformers' franchise a bit more of an edge.

But, yes, A Game of Shadows is certainly a very good film... even if I still don't believe the 'Sherlock Holmes' tag should be attached to it. Also, the presence Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law and Stephen Fry makes any film worth seeing, regardless of quality.

9/10

I finally got round to watching Pirates of the Caribbean 3 just now. I know, I know, shocking.

Given all the dire reviews, and how little sense the second one made, I was expecting tripe. But I found myself really enjoying it. It manages to make sense out of the messy excuse for a plot in 2, (which, let's face it, was even more open ended than Back To The Future Part Two), and wraps up the trillogy nicely, as well as a nice set up at the end for part 4.

It sets a very dark tone from the start, and there were a few moments when I was genuinely surprised by the level of violence for a Disney film :D Makes me what to go watch the fourth film now. Only downside there, will be no more Keira Knightley. :( On the flip side, no more Orlando Bloom! :)

Goes without saying it's not as classic as the original, of course.

8/10

I saw Prometheus and I'm contractly obliged to say it was an awesome film...

Just because my sister worked on some of the set designs, (apparently one of the ships consoles and the flame throwers)

But in seriousness I enjoyed the film, not the greatest creation, but it has its moment's.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Would like to put shawshank Redemption as the greatest film made to date

War Horse.

A child's film about a horse who somehow seems to understand the world with the complexity that a human can. It got to the point where I would have barely been surprised if the horse started talking back to the humans. Despite being ridiculous, this film is set in the war and for some reason that means they have been able to sell it to the audience as a serious adult's film when it actually a piece of cheesy, over sentimental and boring tripe.

There are two very well executed scenes, both of which are unsuitable for a family market and thus ruling out it's only possible audience.

I give it 4/10 and that's only for the two good scenes.

Senna
Being a fan of Formula 1 for some time, I do take an interest in other forms of media about the sport. When I heard that a documentary film was being made about Ayrton Senna (whom many consider to be the greatest driver ever) last year, I knew that I had to watch it. The release dates were inconvenient for the cinemas near me, so I didn't see it last summer. I got the DVD for Christmas 2011, but I never got around to watching it. Until now. (I was planning on watching it on May 1st this year, the 18th anniversary of his tragic death, but I didn't, due to uni commitments getting in the way.)

So what is there to say about it? Wow. What a fantastic way to spend an hour and 40 minutes or so. I learned a lot from watching this that I didn't know before, and it was good to view some of his finer moments, although one thing which I thought should have been put in there was his fantastic drive in the rain at Donington Park in the 1993 European Grand Prix. The final few minutes of footage, covering the tragic 1994 San Marino Grand Prix (where Ayrton lost his life, along with Roland Ratzenberger, and where Rubens Barrichello almost got killed in a very nasty crash) and the funeral scenes in Bologna and Sao Paulo, very nearly made me cry - it was really emotive, and so well done.

Aside from that one omission regarding Donington, Senna is pretty much faultless, and I have to give it a rating of 10/10. :D

If you haven't seen it, then I recommend that you do so. :)

Jonathan said:
Senna
Being a fan of Formula 1 for some time, I do take an interest in other forms of media about the sport. When I heard that a documentary film was being made about Ayrton Senna (whom many consider to be the greatest driver ever) last year, I knew that I had to watch it. The release dates were inconvenient for the cinemas near me, so I didn't see it last summer. I got the DVD for Christmas 2011, but I never got around to watching it. Until now. (I was planning on watching it on May 1st this year, the 18th anniversary of his tragic death, but I didn't, due to uni commitments getting in the way.)

So what is there to say about it? Wow. What a fantastic way to spend an hour and 40 minutes or so. I learned a lot from watching this that I didn't know before, and it was good to view some of his finer moments, although one thing which I thought should have been put in there was his fantastic drive in the rain at Donington Park in the 1993 European Grand Prix. The final few minutes of footage, covering the tragic 1994 San Marino Grand Prix (where Ayrton lost his life, along with Roland Ratzenberger, and where Rubens Barrichello almost got killed in a very nasty crash) and the funeral scenes in Bologna and Sao Paulo, very nearly made me cry - it was really emotive, and so well done.

Aside from that one omission regarding Donington, Senna is pretty much faultless, and I have to give it a rating of 10/10. :D

If you haven't seen it, then I recommend that you do so. :)

I take it you are looking forward to Rush next year then? Looks like it will be a brilliant film, especially with Ron Howard on board - and that cast is insane!

Lost in Translation
I really, really liked this film. Bill Murray is always a likeable screen-presence, and Scarlet Johnasson's performance was far less gaudy than in some in films. I particularly liked how it didn't abide to the substandard Hollywood clichés that would often be associated with a romantic-drama / comedy such as this. There was no real violence, sex or anything else, and the film's minimal style just left me feeling refreshed. I would recommend.
8/10

The Inbetweeners Movie
I've been waiting to watch this movie for quite some time, and finally did so on Thursday after buying the DVD in Asda. I really liked it, but I just felt that there was something missing from the film. I'm not sure what it was, though, which makes it even more puzzling. Still, I'm giving it a rating of 9/10. :)

Date Movie
Much better if you've seen the films, otherwise it's just plain terrible and embarrasing. There are some funny moments, including parodies of well known character executed well. But it's cheesy cringeworthy humour appears too much. Parodying comedies doesn't work directors. Don't follow this. Don't buy this. Just wait until it circulates to E4 in a few months time to give it a whirl for some cheap laughable laughs.

1.5/5