• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Tulley's Shocktober Fest Scream Park

Stuntman707

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
As the UK's No.1 Halloween Attraction in industry and public awards, Tulleys returns in 2019 bigger and better than ever before. Going all out on it's brand new maze, Wastelands Penitentiary creating not just a brand new maze but a new area with large themed vehicles, inmates workshop, performer cells, atmospheric sound and lighting. In the new area around quarter to and quarter past the hour there is an audiovisual & pyrotechnic display with a heavy ground shaking drum & bass soundtrack along with a variety of new street performers. Tulley's currently has 10 live attractions along with street theatre, two live music stages, bars, food stands and rides. All of the queue lines and about 90% of the park is under cover with fire pits throughout the event.

The Wastelands Show:

I went last Saturday, and had a great night. I have to say Wastelands is fantastic, but needed some smoke as you could see everyone coming. The highlight always has to be the Hayride, hilarious more than scary, its well worth the visit. It's on the pricey side, but it's always a good night!

I went a couple of years ago.
believed all the hype
“Best event ever”
and was so disappointed with it all
Yeah the hay ride was fun but all the mazes seemed the same.
Not had any yearning to go back.
o_O

It looks good but it seems completely overpriced. The mazes can't be *that* good in comparison to other events surely.

The early bird / open dated tickets are the best value. Up to £27 off the regular price and visit on any night. I guess it's priced to demand as the dates get booked up near October. It's pretty much a whole evening of entertainment getting all 10 events done before closing.

I'm going to this for the first time in a couple of weeks and very much looking forward to it. Hopefully it does live up to expectations!

I went the first time this year and it was my first non-merlin scare event. In general I thought it had a very different feel to a theme park and the atmosphere generally was very good.

We made it extra expensive by buying fast tracks, usually I wouldn't buy a fast track as I don't think they should exist, but in this case practicalities beat out ethics.

I experienced all 10 attractions which ranged from 'meh' to brilliant.

Must agree, hayride was hilarious and a particular highlight. Another unexpected highlight though we're the street actors, who we interacted with a fair bit and were very entertaining.

My biggest let down was chop shop. For all the hype, it was dull and directionless with no scares and no theme.

I might post a full review with spoiler tags later, but overall I would recommend going.

I'm going to this for the first time in a couple of weeks and very much looking forward to it. Hopefully it does live up to expectations!

I hope you have a good night! I would highly recommend taking boots or wellies especially for doing The Wreckoning maze. It is a farm after all.

I feel the price is ok for what you get. And I’d rather support a local farm that meticulously plan this event over a large corporate company that think theming like hand painted bedsheets are good enough for Halloween.

Reactions: Rob
The wreckoning, I mean put some damn staw down or something. Jesus it was up to my knees, someone else lost a shoe. It was just a bog.

As for the cost of the ticket, I looked at the number of actors and thought it was worth it. Never seen so many actors in one place.

Tulley’s is certainly up there as one of my favourite scare events I have done. Hoping to visit next weekend as the new Wastelands area looks insane, plus I find the mazes are great for scares - like with all scare events, it really depends on the run throughs you get!

We visited Tulleys last week for the first time and have to say it was such a disappointment from what it had been hyped up to be.
Wastelands was absolutely awful on our run through. Really enjoyed the other new one “the wreckoning” but oh my god the mud was everywhere like someone else said.
It’s a good event, I wouldn’t call it the UKs best there are much better events local to us and we are not in a hurry to go back anytime soon.

A lot of the hype has been generated by people who attended the press night. The free entry and booze is always a good way of generating some positive press.

Whilst I’m not suggesting that this had a bearing on every review, it’s difficult to distinguish how a paid for visit, without free booze and probably more people, will compare.

This is the real issue with 'press nights' for theme park attractions and experiences, especially those which are so reliant on actors, and which can be ruined by long queues.

It's completely different to having a press night for an upcoming movie, where critics are essentially getting the same experience as paying guests. Here, people are getting a freebie and usually a superior experience. It really does lead to a false impression.

A worrying trend across the theme park industry, but one which can't realistically be reversed.

A lot of the hype has been generated by people who attended the press night. The free entry and booze is always a good way of generating some positive press.

Whilst I’m not suggesting that this had a bearing on every review, it’s difficult to distinguish how a paid for visit, without free booze and probably more people, will compare.

You clearly don’t understand how Tulley’s does it’s press night. Aside from those who are invited, you can go on press night and they still charge for entry. So the crowd levels are the same as a normal night. The only difference is if you opt for a fast track ticket / wristband, they are properly limited so you actually skip the queues.

This is the real issue with 'press nights' for theme park attractions and experiences, especially those which are so reliant on actors, and which can be ruined by long queues.

It's completely different to having a press night for an upcoming movie, where critics are essentially getting the same experience as paying guests. Here, people are getting a freebie and usually a superior experience. It really does lead to a false impression.

A worrying trend across the theme park industry, but one which can't realistically be reversed.

At least Tulley’s let the general public in on their press night. Gives people confidence that the press night is no different in terms of park experience to any other nights.

I actually wouldn't say I've seen an inaccurate review of Tulleys. Overall I thought it was excellent.

Not only do opinions vary wildly based on the changeable nature of things (actors performance, timing, where you are in the group) but also it varies a lot based on what you are scared of and how easily scared you are.

For me chop shop was just chainsaw after chainsaw which I calmly walked past thinking "really, bored of the same thing". The person in front of my absolutely darted out of the building screaming and was still looking horrified as I sauntered out.

The wreckoning, which mentioned above as being good, for me was lacking in actors and scares. I couldn't help but compare it to darkest depths which I'd done the week prior and would say was miles better. Then the ending came, and I don't think it knew how to end? Throw another chainsaw in there, yawn.

Wastelands on the other hand in my walk through was glorious, easily one of the best mazes I've done this year. Cutting in and out of the strobes totally disorientating (actually love the effect they achieved here by timing the strobes, really felt like the room was spinning, I walked into a wall!). The actors were a mix of jump scares and creepy scares, the theming was on point. A true highlight of the whole event.

Whereas Laura above says "absolutely awful". Fair enough really.

I don't think you can discount peoples opinions just because they went on the press night, and I wasn't influenced by vloggers anyway. Only word of mouth and the forum comments that made me want to visit.

I think what let Tulleys down for me is the fact the actors can’t touch you. Especially in vixi where I got bored so easily. I think that adds another level of scare to the attraction, but as I’ve said before everyone has different opinions and that’s fine. we don’t all enjoy the same thing.