• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

UK Politics General Discussion

What will be the result of the UK’s General Election?

• Other Result (Please specify in your post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it's pretty sinister to be talking in terms of "the greater good" in this context. An incident of horrific violence occurred and two people have died - the would-be assassin and an innocent bystander. Wishing for a successful assassination of any political figure goes against everything democracy represents.

Do I want to see Trump become president again? Hell no. Do I want to see him murdered at a perfectly legitimate and democratic political rally? Absolutely not.

He's had a court rule he's legally allowed to have people assassinated, he's talked openly about wanting to do it and is intensely relaxed about it happening to opponents. Bumping off your enemies is in fact the most American thing ever. He's not exactly a fan of democracy himself and makes no secret of it. Only thing to be upset about is that it wasn't a Japanese guy with a doohickey.

Then there is the fact that he is a massive supporter of the gun lobby...Fight for your right to bear arms etc.
And greater good, not sinister, simple truth.
Insurrection gets as insurrection does.

Urgh the bit at the end of the video where the crowd start changing USA, USA …. Yeah that screwed up country where you can go and shoot other people but still be very religious (thou shalt not kill ??) and a woman who has been raped can’t get an abortion in some states.

Personally I’d be very happy if the UK distanced itself from the US as much as possible these days.

Urgh the bit at the end of the video where the crowd start changing USA, USA …. Yeah that screwed up country where you can go and shoot other people but still be very religious (thou shalt not kill ??) and a woman who has been raped can’t get an abortion in some states.

Personally I’d be very happy if the UK distanced itself from the US as much as possible these days.
Well said! I've been thinking about this alot recently. The grown ups are back in charge of the UK for now, and thank god we have at least 5 years of politics returning to boring normality. But France and the USA just can't shake this stuff off.

I've been concerned alot recently about the wind being taken out of our sails by a potential Trump presidency, which I think would be incredibly dangerous for the world, and the likelihood of which has just been turbocharged by these events. But could be missing a silver lining here?

It's likely that Trump will hang Ukraine out to dry. But with a madman in the Whitehouse, can Starmer be a moderating force? We've seen before that, despite his protectionist stance, Trump knows deep down that he needs friends. And he doesn't have many on his southern border, he's only warm to China, India and Russia when he feels like he's getting his own way, and he's not great at building relationships with EU countries. I think he sees the UK and Canada as his Bitches. So if Starmer can play up to the ego, can he influence him? Bearing in mind that Trump, as crazy and outlandish as he is, will have some half sensible people around him. Is this Pragmatist Starmer's time to shine?

This egomaniac will likely win, and it looks like France is also entering a period of intense instability. If the government play their cards right, we could benefit economically from this as there's nothing that turns investors off more than political instability. The UK could suddenly look like a safe and stable place to do business.

Weird that Germany went to proportional representation to ensure that the fascists could never take over again. Ironically our system largely keeps them at bay, until of course they get the magical 30 or so percent I guess.

They didn't bottle it at all, they remain the largest single party don't they?
A sudden coalition of centre and left parties kept them out, nothing more.
Too late for me to go looking for sources but I believe some people got scared between votes and changed their minds to the more centrist party.

France is being governed by some hastily stitched together coalition, only united in their opposition towards the far right and nothing else. It won't last. It's a very unstable situation.

No offence guys but is it too much hard work to check the actual results and how the French system works? It takes just a few seconds. The so-called far right won less than 30% of the vote in the first round and polled similarly in the second. You might as well be saying that Labour are popular among most in the U.K. and that we are a Labour nation by instinct.

Too late for me to go looking for sources but I believe some people got scared between votes and changed their minds to the more centrist party.

Imagine democracy allowing people to change their mind after voting.

Though most countries end up having to wait years to change their mind. The French system is strange from the outside.

It would seem that there is a potential crisis brewing in the Welsh government, with 4 Welsh government ministers resigning today and urging Vaughan Gething (the Welsh First Minister) himself to resign: https://news.sky.com/story/four-min...t-minister-vaughan-gething-must-quit-13178583

This comes off the back of Vaughan Gething losing a confidence vote last month, but dismissing the vote as a “gimmick” and vowing to carry on regardless.

What do people think to this situation? From an outsider’s perspective, I think Vaughan Gething needs to resign, personally. He lost a confidence vote, and I think that shows he has lost the confidence of the Senedd, regardless of what he himself says.

He's now gone. There was always something dodgy looking about that £200k donation, but many politicians have survived far worse before. No rules were broken, but it still looks crappy and the completely politically motivated no-confidence vote last month made it hard to turn the page.

The Welsh government hasn't had a good reputation recently, but it's a great opportunity for them now that they have a Labour government in Westminster. I guess they were never going to move on with an air of scandal following Gething around.

Last edited:
This, ladies and gentlemen is the most powerful country on the planet, the free world, the country they think every other country should be like:

Good job the bullet didn't take out one of his eyes. Honestly, just how dumb and gullible are these people?

Some budgetary announcements yesterday from Labour, the most controversial being the winter fuel payments for pensioners. Granted while there are many wealthy pensioners, there are many who depend on these payments, especially with fuel bills predicted to rise again this winter. I think they could have done this much better by targeting pensioners over a certain income, and those living abroad.