• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

Interesting. From one side it's a very good likeness of a BR Mark 1 coach. On the other side...well, what the heck is that bulge for?

I assume to accommodate the video screens so it does appear to have windows either side. The 'show' element is likely to be in the bulge, whilst the open windows are visible on the exterior for when you board

If the rumours are correct then there will be a lot more than just video screens contained within the cars. Only another month to go until testing now which I'm quite excited about :)

Orlando Informer recently posted a picture of the Hogwarts Express carriages to Facebook:

1235931_591715954211978_654534793_n.jpg

With several accounts from various sources now published, it seems certain that Universal Orlando’s “real” Hogwarts Express is indeed on-site - or at least most of it.

In addition, this comment was recently left on our site: “If you ride Rip Ride Rockit and look over in the back lot direct behind Blue Man, you can actually see the engine and multiple cars!”

Can't wait to give this thing a go in a year or two! :D

And now they're unwrapped:

BS9wQp-IcAALWX0.jpg:large

source

:D

Screamscape's also got news on something currently known as Project 766...

???? - Project 766 - Rumor - (9/3/13) A new project has come to light, as early permits have been filed for something called Project 766. The exact nature of the project isn’t quite yet known as some sources suggested it may have a tie-in with a new Jurassic Park development at IOA, while later sources suggest it will be a mysterious new project for the Studios side of things. According to some documents uncovered by Chris Con, the overall project areas seems to stretch from around the Men In Black area, behind the Simpsons ride and backend of the kiddie land area… but also stretches over into the parking lot and front lawn of the Hard Rock Hotel, coming to an end right up against the resort river.
At first I was wondering if perhaps they might be looking to expand the river past the Hard Rock and possibly into an area where they could build another resort hotel… but from everything I’ve heard, this all involves a new attraction of some kind and not a resort… though the waterway may very well be involved somehow as well. Very confusing so far… but this is definitely not you typical big ride/show in a box attraction for sure.

Screamscape said:
General Park News - (9/5/13) I’m not sure of the details, but Screamscape sources tell me that the Bettlejuice show will be getting a complete revision for the 2014 season, with all new music on the way. It also looks like the future of Terminator 2 / 3D is not only safe, but the show has even been approved to have a number of nagging issues with the show’s effects repaired or replaced.

Yay! I'm a big fan of T2:3D so it's really good news that it's staying!

Two updates on IOA from Screamsape today...

Screamscape said:
Summer 2015 - New Jurassic Park Improvements / Attractions - Rumor - (9/5/13) According to the latest rumors, it now seems certain that we will see some kind of new Jurassic Park themed attraction open in IOA for Summer 2015. There have been too many JP themed ride rumors lately to say for sure what this will be, but I’ve got my suspicions. Stay tuned… and scroll down… there is another new surprise in store for 2015.
Screamscape said:
Christmas 2015 - The Lorax - Rumor - (9/5/13) Screamscape sources tell us that something called Project 301 was just given the green light, with an aggressive plan to get it up and open in time for the Christmas 2015 holiday season. All I know so far is that this will be a new 3D ride experience themed to The Lorax, and that they will build a new large structure behind One Fish, Two Fish for it. More as we get it.

The former sounds interesting, the latter less so...

I've got a massive soft spot for T2:3D, and was gutted it was removed in Hollywood before I got chance to go on it there as well as the Florida one so very glad to hear it's staying! Sure it's a little dated, but visually it's still pretty impressive. Considering the film franchise's following, it'd be great to see some money put into it to bring it back to it's best.

I'm not sure what to think of another JP ride to be honest. Sure the film was popular, but is the scale of the current water ride already enough? I'd prefer to see some work put into that than a brand new ride.

Not really interested in the Lorax ride to be honest, although for me that area in the park is certainly lacking. It's one of those areas that seems quite rushed and cheap compared to the others, so I guess in the long run it could result in an improvement to the look of the area.

Onto Harry Potter, and even from just what's been constructed already it's looking absolutely stunning. The scale of the area is massive, and looking over the lake once it's complete it's going to look quite something!

Craig said:
I'm not sure what to think of another JP ride to be honest. Sure the film was popular, but is the scale of the current water ride already enough? I'd prefer to see some work put into that than a brand new ride.

Don't worry about that. Universal are also improving River Adventures on top of everything else they're doing to that particular area. :)

I am sure Universal want a new JP ride ready for Jurassic park 4 which should be released in 2015. Their has been plenty of rumours over the past 14 years since IOA opened about new rides for the JP area, will we see one of these or something different.

Jeep Tour ride (originally planned as phase 2 attraction that was indoors and featured the famous Trex attack from the first film)

Heletours ride (simulator style trip flying above Jurassic park (it was rumoured to be similar to soarin at Disney)

B&M Flying Coaster & More recently a B&M wing rider

Excavation Coaster- Family coaster themed to the amber mine

Welcome centre dark ride (like the moving theatre from the first film)

IOA will be ready for a new ride by 2015, with HP opening in 2010 and the studios currently getting a massive amount of investment, something new to ensure guest continue to visit both parks. Plus with the rumoured Lorax ride which will be aimed at the younger. family market, hopefully that means what they add to JP will be aimed at the thrill market.

Universal have begun receiving the props for their various scare attractions for HHN:

BTxUSSVIcAA7Ve5.jpg:large

Hogsmede Station is starting to look huge:

1240223_10201939049188938_1361518082_n.jpg

Whilst over in the Studios:

BUKXauzCQAAF1vF.jpg

Will we be seeing anything happening to tidy up the ride area for Dragon's Challenge? With such a grand building being created on land between the two coasters, now might be the right time to clean the place up a bit.

The work going into the Diagon Alley area is absolutely stunning. It blows everything that they've ever done to pieces...

I'd expect that they would do something with the area around Dragon's Challenge because it is a mess and it will now be visible to people other than riders. They'll probably just plant it up a bit.

I really can't wait to see the new area (as well as the new parts in the original WWoHP) open!

The trains are on display to anybody in the queue for one of the HHN mazes:

BUpGlmbCYAAczpq.jpg:large

There's still no confirmed date on testing, but I have no doubt it will be within the next couple of weeks.

Screamscape said:
June 2014 - Wizarding World of Harry Potter - DIAGON ALLEY - (10/14/13) HateToFly posted a fun image on Twitter showing off concept artwork that is said to bear a close resemblance to the coaster trains you will ride in on the Gringotts coaster ride. Also a new huge report about what we can expect to see inside the “North” side station of the Hogwarts Express, otherwise known as the Kings Cross train station, has been posted to OrlandoUnited by HateToFly.
While going over some light details about how the queue will flow, they also describe the trains a bit in terms of overall ride capacity. There are two trains in use, with one departing from each station on the line at the same time and using a bypass track in the middle to get past each other. Each train will consist of a locomotive, coal car and three passenger cars. Each of the passenger cars will have 7 passengers cabins, and each passenger cabin will hold up to 8 riders, so we are looking at up to 156 passengers on each train run.

This project is so absurd, I love it. Can anyone make a quick guess on the throughputs of this? Sounds pretty high, and will surely become the preferred way to travel between the two parks as long as the queues aren't too long. Also a pretty clever way to ensure almost every guest buys a park-hopper, otherwise they won't be able to ride this thing.

The Twitter image.

ZBi3d1J.jpg

Those lapbars look like Intamin to me. But to be honest, I have no idea. Could also quite easily be Vekoma.

In IOA news...

Screamscape said:
2015/2016 - King Kong 360º 3D / Skull Island - Rumor - (10/14/13) Rumors about a possible return of King Kong to Universal Orlando have run wild on and off over the past year or so. You may recall a report from HateToFly at Orlando United in 2012 claiming that Disaster would be updated to become a new version of Kong. This was followed by Screamscape’s own sources telling us the Kong concept was improved in scope and moved to Islands of Adventure back in February 2013… only to have these sources in May 2013 report that the new Kong ride concept was canceled in favor of a new Jurassic Park themed ride instead.
This past week HateToFly has posted another new message regarding the fate of Kong… and this time he pretty much describes (but in more detail) the exact same ride experience I had heard as coming back in February, to be located behind the Thunder Falls restaurant area. According to the HTF report, this new Kong ride will be added along with the new Jurassic Park themed ride expected to go into the closed Trike Encounter spot. Sounds like Comcast has decided once again to double-down on their Universal Orlando budget and is planning to bring Skull Island to life. As we have seen already, survey flags in this location behind Thunder Falls were already been spotted last month.

Screamscape said:
General Park News - (10/16/13) More good news for Universal Studios Florida as the latest rumor from HateToFly / Orlando United is that The Simpsons ride is in line for a much needed high-def 4K or 8K style projector upgrade… or whatever would would work in there. I know it used to be IMAX in the BTTF days, but not sure if it still is or not.
Either way, I have to agree myself that this is needed. With the intense focus on the Springfield now by guests, I’m sure the ride is getting more attention now than compared to what it had the last few years. To be brutally honestly, after riding Spiderman, Transformers and Despicable Me, all with brilliantly bright and clear projection systems, I literally felt like I was riding The Simpsons ride wearing my sunglasses because it was so dim by comparison. Not a lie… in the middle of the ride I reached up to my face to take my sunglasses OFF only to discover I wasn’t wearing them. Wow… at that moment I realized that The Simpsons was in need of a little upgrade… sooner than later. Looks like I’ll get my wish.

Upgrades like this are always good news.