• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

Posted today by Screamscape:
Screamscape said:
It wasn't all that long ago that I wrote at length about how Disney and Universal could be preparing to meet and discuss terms for a possible shared use or even a release of Universal lock on Marvel theme park rights on the East Coast in exchange for something from Disney. This week WDWNT.com reports that not only may a deal be in the works, but that by the end of the year we could see the Incredible Hulk coaster get a new theme and name, and Doctor Doom's Fearfall could get the same treatment, or may even be removed entirely.

At present Disney are not allowed to use any of their Marvel themes in their Orlando parks. Looks like they are pretty keen to do something about this and Universal are probably now in a postition to be able to strike up a deal.

:)

It doesn't really make sense for Universal to strike a deal though, Marvel are huge at the moment. It would make much more sense for them to do a total revamp of the area and then reap the rewards like with Harry Potter. There were rumours of a launched flyer coming to the area themed to Iron Man at one point although not sure where that's up to now.

Rumours I've read are different to what Screamscape are saying. The Hulk will get re-done but will remain the Hulk, just fixed up so it runs smoother. When Hulk was built B&M wouldn't make a launched coaster, so the launch was from a different manufacturer and therefore B&Ms nice smooth wheel assemblies didn't quite work right. Now B&M have made a launched coaster elsewhere there are rumours of Hulk getting changed over so it is compatible with the spring loaded smooth wheel assemblies.

Apparently Dr Doom could go, but only to clear space for another new Marvel attraction. Universal have perpetual rights to Marvel in theme parks east of the Missisippi, why would they give this up! But some people think they might work with Disney, so a new attraction could go in Disney Studios Paris, Islands of Adventure and Disney California Adventure and everyone wins.

Also don't forget Disney still make money on all the Marvel merchandise sold at Universal, Disney can still earn money without spending anything so it isn't a bad thing if Universal expand Marvel at IoA.

Universal have perpetual rights to Marvel in theme parks east of the Missisippi, why would they give this up!.

Money. Harry Potter is currently, and will continue to be, more successful for them. They're rolling that brand out around the world - they really don't need Marvel at present. If Disney pay enough (and don't forget how much Star Wars cost) they'd take it.

Aren't Disney building an Iron Man ride at Hong Kong Disneyland?
Yes, and they have a Spiderman meet and greet at DLP. Disney own Marvel so are free to use Marvel IPs in their parks, apart from in Florida. Universal have exclusivity for that as it stands.

I personally don't think disney really want to buy the rights, hence the negotiations. We don't actually know who started these rumored negotiations, that's if they are happening at all.

Let's be honest, Disney even though they could make more money from Marvel if they held the rights, are still raking it in. And what would they do with them, probably a shop and a couple of meet and greets.

I hope at least part of the negotiations involve an update to the comic book 1990s look, to a more modern cinematic look, not just for rides but themeing and characters. I'd imagine disney are trying themselves to get characters not used at universal like Guardians into there parks.

Universal have exclusivity on most Marvel characters in theme parks in the USA east of the Missisippi river. Since Disney bought Marvel they have added meet and greets in Paris and California.

I don't think Disney really want the theme park rights to Marvel for the East Coast at the moment either. There has been lots of rumours of new Star Wars and new Pixar themed attractions coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida but nothing has started being built yet, so why would Disney want Marvel when they haven't even started building new attractions they do have the rights to.
Also Disney still make money from all the Marvel merchandise sold at Universal and it seems merchandise income is very important to Disney! Also they get all that merchandise income, without having to spend anything, Universal pay all the operating costs and Disney just get some cash in.

I think the discussions between Marvel and Universal were just to get new attractions and upgrades signed off.

Kong has finally been announced!
Universal said:
KING KONG ROARS TO LIFE IN GROUNDBREAKING NEW ATTRACTION
Mike WestMike West | | May 6, 2015

Over the past 25 years, Universal Orlando has created some of the world’s most incredible entertainment experiences by combining emotional storytelling, timeless characters and innovative ride technologies. Today, we honor one of the most monumental figures in movie history, King Kong, with the announcement of a groundbreaking attraction opening in the summer of 2016 at Universal’s Islands of Adventure – “Skull Island: Reign of Kong.”

You’ll navigate perilous jungles, explore ancient temple structures and encounter hostile natives – and that’s only the beginning. Throughout the rest of your excursion, you’ll brave foreboding caves crawling with prehistoric creatures, fend off unspeakable terrors – and even come face-to-face with the colossal Kong himself.

When we began conceptualizing the next great attraction for Universal Orlando Resort, one prevailing thought rose to the top of our minds. How do we make the experience MASSIVE? The sets, the characters and even the story itself. All of it will be larger than life.

The challenge is also to tell the next generation of the Kong legend, all while delivering an unparalleled, revolutionary theme park experience guests have come to expect from Universal. We have done exactly that with Reign of Kong – you’ll be pulled into a powerful, intense fight for survival as you discover a side of the iconic beast that has never been revealed…until now.

Skull-Island-Reign-of-Kong-Main-Image_LR1-1170x731.jpg

Skull-Island-Reign-of-Kong-Entrance_LR_ADJ-cropped.jpg

340-poster-blog.jpg

Good to see it announced, with it being Universal I can only imagine that it will be something pretty special.

I'm sure it'll be great, and credit to them for seemingly endeavouring to make it outright frightening. I'm certainly not looking forward to the bug section! My big question is: After the incorporated 3D elements that will presumably make up the dinosaur battle (the footage in the preview is nixed from the Kong 360 portion of the Hollywood park's tram tour, and will presumably be reused in Orlando), will it not be a little jarring to encounter an actual, physical Kong as the finale? Regardless of his scale, and I'm sure his scale will be very impressive indeed. Looks like IOA will have three of the greatest dark rides in the world within a year.

2 big announcements in 2 days!

It's been announced today that Nintendo has signed a deal with Universal to bring Nintendo themed attractions to their theme parks.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-comin...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Oh and with regards to the Kong attraction, the ride vehicle is set up the way it is because evidently Kong is going to reach in and grab the "driver" out of the cabin. It would work in a similar way to the Mummy scene on the MCBR.

Not sure why Universal would agree to give up the rights to Marvel, surely with Marvel being so popular these days it will be more lucrative to keep it even if they are paying royalties to Disney.

I think the Nintendo deal sounds very promising! I think attractions themed around Mario would be really good, but others themed around Metroid, Zelda or Star Fox have A LOT of potential.

Just seen this as well! Please can we have a Mario themed area in IOA? Bring the Mushroom Kingdom to life! :D