• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

According to the Orlando Sentinel, Universal have completed the purchase of over 450 acres of land down near the Orange County Convention Centre:
Orlando Sentinel said:
A company affiliated with Universal Theme Parks has closed on the purchase of 450-plus acres near the Orange County Convention Center, sources confirmed.

The purchase would pave the way for possible expansion of Universal’s theme park empire in Orlando. The property was transferred through a simple quit claim deed on Dec. 18 to an obscure Delaware company.

“It’s Universal, it’s a done deal, they’ve closed on it,” said Robert Cooke Jr., a Miami attorney who represented the seller, California-based Colony Capital, in recent court cases.

Universal’s media spokesman in Orlando, Tom Schroder, said the company would not be commenting in response to questions Wednesday. Universal has declined repeatedly to comment on their interest in the property.

A source with knowledge of the deal said he doesn’t believe there’s a timeline for development yet.

“My feeling is, it’s a lot of land, and my guess is, it will be phased in, and they will figure it out after the holiday break,” said the source, who commented on the condition of anonymity.

The property includes the largest tracts of vacant land in Orlando’s International Drive tourism corridor, and is already loaded with entitlements allowing thousands of hotel rooms, residential units and – on one portion -- a theme-park style attraction.

A previous Universal company, Universal Vivendi, had once owned the property. It was originally acquired from defense contractor Lockheed Martin in 1998, and was part of Lockheed’s Sand Lake Road complex. Later a team of developers acquired it, including Georgia businessman Stan Thomas, with certain restrictions on what they could build. But the entire acreage fell into foreclosure during the Great Recession.

Colony acquired the property through a foreclosure on Nov. 18 this year. A principal with Colony, Paul Fuhrman, had promised that it would be marketed globally, but Colony stopped talking about it after multiple sources said Universal had a contract on it.

There’s a lot riding on the future of the property. County officials and businesses for miles around have been trying to plan for traffic demands and development patterns in the area.

Universal’s lobbyists had recently asked the county to pause a long-term vision process for the region.

But Alberto Vargas, manager of Orange County planning, said efforts to plan for the region’s future will not wait on Universal until a more specific proposal for the vacant land is revealed.

“I have not talked to Universal specifically about this property. If they come forward with a plan, it could potentially accelerate projects to improve roads and transportation there,” Vargas said.

The property is just north of the convention center, and south or southeast of Lockheed Martin's Missiles and Fire Control plant. Two major road extensions are expected to connect through the vacant area: Kirkman Road and Destination Parkway.

Destination is already part of the county’s capital improvement plan, but there’s no funding in place for Kirkman yet, Vargas said.

Excellent news! Part of the land is already zoned for theme park use from when Universal previously owned it in the 1990s so they'll have no problems with what they want to build. I've seen rumours that say they might be able to build up to 400ft on the land, far more than the 200ft restriction they have at their current Orlando parks!

Here is another look of where the land is:

thumb_distance_between_uor_and_land.jpg

If Universal are able to get a move on I wouldn't rule out a third gate opening in 2021 to compete with Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary celebrations.

:)

The Hulk is now on its way back in again at Universal's IOA, with the brake run track now in place.

12469375_1682615258650752_7867174017893366814_o.jpg

12485826_1682615268650751_5854871876063240883_o.jpg

(Images: No Limits Exchange)

People have noted that the track is slanted slightly to the side on an angle as it was previously, suggesting that the layout may well be exactly the same as before.

Some more photos of the track being reinstalled
(I've no idea who the original owners of the photos are, I found them on a Spanish website :p )

Hulk-track-1170x731.jpg
Hulk-track-wide.jpg

The Hulk continues to rise:

thumb_capuuvtusaaju3i.jpg

Photo found on TPR but original source apparently Attractions Magazine

I think it is fair to say now that we can expect the same layout as before, just smoother.

To call it a new credit would be clutching at straws. Even if they've totally redesigned the launch I'd still say it's the same ride.

I dunno, if the track is new, then it is no different to counting multiple cloned rides as individual creds.

... Not that I've ever been on it anyway, so it doesn't matter for me. ;)

Hasn't every piece of Nemesis been replaced over the years? So if you rode it in 1994 and then again in 2016, would that be two different creds?

#MakesUThink

Oh no not the Nemesis debate again!

If I recal Nemesis has had at least one bit of track replaced but not the whole thing. Therefore it is not a new cred. And unless I'm mistaken Hulk wasn't completely replaced either? They left the lift and the station in place, therefore it is only a 90% track re-build. Although why they left the lift in place I'm not sure as the new launch system is the only bit I'd have assumed would "need" new track.

Indeed, no lift or station track has been removed. As long as the layout remains the same then for me it is not a new credit, just a very extensive maintenance job of an existing one.

The sign for Kong looks really impressive too

34rg7ko.jpg

Also on Orlando United the path the ride is going to take has been posted, the red dashed line is where the ride vehicle will go if there is lightning so the ride can remain open.

FihCtXs.jpg