• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

I personally wouldn’t shed a single tear if Shit Ride Shutit was condemned to the scrap heap. Aside from being the only coaster where you can/could have Barry White, Gloria Gaynor or Kermit the Frog blasting in your ears on the way round it has zero redeeming features in my eyes.

It may not be that old, but the build quality is shonky at best. Didn’t the trains go back to Maurer multiple times to be patched up? It always felt like a budget purchase from an era before Universal hit it big with Harry Potter.

The only thing I wonder is how much space the park would stand to gain from removing it. It’s a weird layout, more akin to an old-school out-and-back than something which covers a big space.

HRRR was initially designed as a sequel or sister to Hollywood Dream, the family-oriented hyper at Universal Studios Japan. When B&M were too busy, Universal called Maurer. :confused:

Despite Mako thriving up the road, I'd still take Hollywood Dream, but feel it would be unlikely for Universal to install a lightly-themed hyper after what they have since achieved next door with Velocicoaster and Hagrid's. It doesn't fit the profile of the resort any longer, admittedly is a bit of an eyesore, but I didn't realise it was quite as unpopular as the surveys cited in the news articles linked reflect. There's not much gained to be removing it in terms of space, given that it is already shoehorned in so tightly.

You could argue that Rip Ride Rockit looks a bit tacky, but they probably should have thought about that before they put Minions Land in. With or without Rockit, the entrance street is going to look quite messy.

Rockit has its issues, and it is a bit block brake the ride. However, the main criticism I hear about the Studios park, is that most of the rides involve looking at screens. If you take out Rockit, you’ve got ET, Men in Black and The Mummy. It's also the only ride, or at least the only major ride, that's outdoors. Aside from Diagon Alley, where there are a lot of animatronics, there isn't a lot of kinetic energy when you walk around the Studios Park.

They could replace it with another coaster. It’d be interesting to see what type. With Velocicoaster and Starfall Racers they’d really want something that doesn’t just feel like more of the same. B&M could do something, but so many American parks have large B&Ms, including Sea World and Busch Gardens.

Will be interesting what they do as their so continued talk of fast and furious not lasting much longer either as despite being fairly new is one kf the worst rated attractions in guest surveys (which if you have been in it you will know why!) and they could cut their loses see with that ride as well- maybe reuse the building and add a version of fast and furious coaster that’s going to Hollywood, with the drifting effect helping it set it apart from velicoaster and star fall racers. Plus fast and furious is being closed from mid August nov as using the queue areas and space next to it for Horror nights.

The talk is the studios will definitely be where the focus for development is post epic opening in 2025 as islands has had lots of investment with the two recent coasters being very well received by guests. Plus there is also talk of the Simpsons ride being replaced, so lots of potential developments in the coming years.

On a side note they are announcing new summer entertainment on the 29th April. Which will include a brand new parade (expected to be called universals mega movie parade) which will focus on some classic films like ghost busters, jaws, back to the future, Jurassic park etc. also a new night time lagoon show, which will also focus on the retro properties.

I think Islands of Adventure does currently hold up very well. If it were a stand alone theme park you’d probably argue that it’s lacking in events and shows, but it is part of a resort so it’s not necessarily fair to view it in isolation. It mostly does what it does very well. Ideally you wouldn’t have the water rides clumped together, but it’s not as big an issue now they’ve done Reign of Kong, and they can’t exactly lift up a water ride and move it like in Roller Coaster Tycoon.

The one weak point is arguably Jurassic Park River Adventure where it feels like it’d benefit from an overhaul.

In a way the Studios park needs the investment more, but a River Adventure overhaul would be cost effective and a relatively easy win.

I think Islands of Adventure does currently hold up very well. If it were a stand alone theme park you’d probably argue that it’s lacking in events and shows, but it is part of a resort so it’s not necessarily fair to view it in isolation. It mostly does what it does very well. Ideally you wouldn’t have the water rides clumped together, but it’s not as big an issue now they’ve done Reign of Kong, and they can’t exactly lift up a water ride and move it like in Roller Coaster Tycoon.

The one weak point is arguably Jurassic Park River Adventure where it feels like it’d benefit from an overhaul.

In a way the Studios park needs the investment more, but a River Adventure overhaul would be cost effective and a relatively easy win.
I suspect a river adventure re theme like they did in Hollywood to Jurassic world will happen in next few years while the main focus on bigger new additions is at the studios.

I rode it last year for the first time and didn’t particularly enjoy it either. It was okay but not the most comfortable. I’m sure there are many better options that could take its place.

Rode multiple times in November and certainly didn't find it rough. Still had a soft spot for it after over a decade of not riding.

I can understand why it'd be removed, but given Hollywood's F&F coaster is meant to be the West Coast response to Velocicoaster but amplified, I'm not sure why they'd then base HRRR's replacement on that...

Trying to think of a coaster that isn’t in that area already - what about an out-and-back layout of a B&M wing coaster? Would that fit in that space? No idea what they would be able to theme it too though.

I've always had a soft spot for HRRR, never found it uncomfortable and being able to listen to Cyprus Hill on a roller coaster certainly made it memorable (that was on my last ride anyway).

Hopefully they have a thrill coaster lined up to replace it rather than yet another screen based dark ride.

Wonder if they'd be looking at Mack Stryker like Voltron. High capacity, rolling station, and they clearly have a good working relationship what with Starfall Racers and the wolfman coasters getting built at Epic.

Also universal made an announcement on Monday regarding their new experiences for this Summer and as expected features a new parade and night times shows- all of which have been missing at the resort for last few years .

DreamWorks land will open on the 14th June

Mega movie parade (starts 3rd July) new large scale daytime parade at the studios. Featuring 13 brand new floats, over 100 performers and some special effects. The movies featured inc E.T., Back to the Future, Jaws, Ghostbusters, Jurassic World, Illumination’s Minions and Sing and DreamWorks Animation’s Trolls and Kung Fu Panda. The finale will be a Jurassic world float with massive T rex and the ghost buster float will feature a 16ft stay puft marshmallow
Man, will also inc a matching band playing the jaws theme along side the jaws float.

cinesational: a synphonic spectacular (starts 14th June). Large scale new nighttime show on the lagoon- will feature 221 fountains (going up to 131 ft high) 4k projections , lighting, Plus 600 drones. Will feature the following films -including Warner Bros. Pictures Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts films, Jurassic World, Jaws, Shrek, Ghostbusters, Trolls, Back to the Future, Universal Monsters, Transformers, How to Train Your Dragon, E.T., Fast and Furious, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Minions, The Mummy and King Kong.

Hogwarts Always (starts 14th June) new night time projection show- replaces the previous version which ended a while ago, all new projections and theme with 4 different endings and a pyrotechnic finale.

Last edited: