• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

CoasterCrazyChris said:
It looks great and all only thing is.....there isn't a giant lake in central London like that.

Oh well.
I don't think you could really expect the park to remove what is essentially their centerpiece just to make an already photo-realistic recreation of London even more accurate...

If looks ridiculously good.

Orlando Informer popped this photo on Twitter, as well as a link to all their photos of this development (and other areas of the park + other parks, for anyone interested):

BeNxpzWCcAAIteD.jpg:large

Scott said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
It looks great and all only thing is.....there isn't a giant lake in central London like that.

Oh well.
I don't think you could really expect the park to remove what is essentially their centerpiece just to make an already photo-realistic recreation of London even more accurate...

If looks ridiculously good.

Oh yeah it looks amazing, the level of detail is crazy. But you must admit 'London by lakeside' is a bit strange aha.

:)

BigAl said:
Orlando Informer popped this photo on Twitter, as well as a link to all their photos of this development (and other areas of the park + other parks, for anyone interested):

BeNxpzWCcAAIteD.jpg:large

Breathtaking. I say it every time a new photo appears! Unbelievable in scale, detail and effort. Can't wait to visit!

Sent using Tapatalk

I'd be really, really interested to hear what people from other countries think of what it looks like.

We all think it is breathtaking, incredible, detailed and a large slice of crazy - but we can relate directly to the landmarks, the architectural style, the general design and supposed 'age' of the buildings. I wonder if other people see it the same - or do they just see it as a bunch of old brick buildings?

I have to agree with the above sentiments; It's so strange seeing a part of London we all know being replicated abroad in such meticulous detail, especially when we (sort of) know the context of the surrounding borough in London. It equally makes me wonder if it'll be recognised by those who don't immediately recognise the capital and presume they just chose whatever looked like London the most.

It also makes me wonder how many people will look at the second to left and last two buildings on the right and think of the upstairs of BBC's modern 221b Baker Street :p

For historical accuracy, I demand that they include the green concourse that stood at the front of King's Cross from the mid-70s to 2013. Harry Potter was set around 1997 to 2005 I believe so it should be there!

MvZa59L.jpg

vlLrXp0.jpg

Come on Universal, make it happen.

Sam said:
For historical accuracy, I demand that they include the green concourse that stood at the front of King's Cross from the mid-70s to 2013. Harry Potter was set around 1997 to 2005 I believe so it should be there!

The series actually takes place between 1991 and 1998, as Harry Potter was born in 1980, despite the many artistic licenses/anachronisms/contradictions that the films decided to include.

It's weird to think that Potter is supposed to be my age, given that I've always regarded the books as aimed at people a good ten years younger than me.

I agree with Sam, they should have included all that ugly green crap outside the station, since that was there in the films. Mind you, they should have built the other half of the station front as well.

It's still impressive though.

DiogoJ42 said:
I agree with Sam, they should have included all that ugly green crap outside the station, since that was there in the films.

Nope, the films famously used St. Pancras as a stand-in. ;)

Hehe... have you not noticed yet how little interest I have in the HP franchise? ;) I've seen about half the films, out of order.
I'm sure the whole "running at the wall" thing looked Kings Cross-y, which is the only bit I remember off the top of my head.

I kinda wish this all had been built like two years ago... Then they would have had to have built the terrible (yet iconic) 'temporary' green structure :p

DiogoJ42 said:
Hehe... have you not noticed yet how little interest I have in the HP franchise? ;) I've seen about half the films, out of order.
I'm sure the whole "running at the wall" thing looked Kings Cross-y, which is the only bit I remember off the top of my head.

All the external shots were St Pancras because of the renovations on Kings Cross at the time if I recall...

It's an amazing level of detail in this project though... This is how IPs in parks should be done...

The live webcast has just taken place. I'm sure there will be a summary of what was said posted somewhere later on but the main ride will be called Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts. They said that it is the most technologically advanced ride they have ever done, eclipsing Forbidden Journey. It sounds like it is going to be simply epic!

EDIT:

Here are some concepts that have been released:

1618493_10151927638977852_1190721514_n.jpg

1011812_10151927638997852_956095148_n.jpg

12100_10151927639047852_2120817162_n.jpg

1554427_10151927639092852_1877358992_n.jpg

1545936_10151927639117852_1583258209_n.jpg

1545728_10151927639167852_338189990_n.jpg

1625674_10151927639227852_39937092_n.jpg

1535681_10151927641512852_2030571154_n.jpg

1545086_10151927642357852_1453817887_n.jpg

And some more information:

Universal.com said:
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™ – Diagon Alley™ SUMMER 2014

Explore more of the wizarding world than ever before at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™ – Diagon Alley™, opening Summer 2014 at Universal Studios Florida®. Enter Diagon Alley™ from the streets of London just like Harry did. Dine at the Leaky Cauldron™, see a wand choose a wizard at Ollivanders™ wand shop, and experience the excitement of a multi-dimensional new thrill ride inside Gringotts™ bank.

HARRY POTTER AND THE ESCAPE FROM GRINGOTTS™

At the far end of Diagon Alley™ stands Gringotts™, the goblin-run bank. Inside, you’ll experience a pulse-pounding adventure on the groundbreaking, multi-dimensional thrill ride that puts you right in the middle of the action as you navigate your way through the perils of the Gringotts’ vaults – encountering Harry, Ron, and Hermione along the way!

FAMOUS DIAGON ALLEY™ SHOPS

See a wand choose a wizard at Ollivanders™ wand shop. Pick up magical jokes and novelty items at Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes. Find all your wizardwear needs at Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions. Bring home a furry, feathered, or scaly creature from the Magical Menagerie™. Search for supplies at Wiseacre’s Wizarding Equipment. And gather all your gaming gear at Quality Quidditch™ Supplies.

Practitioners of the Dark Arts will find everything they need down the gloomy Knockturn Alley™, featuring the infamous shop, Borgin and Burkes.

THE LEAKY CAULDRON™ AND OTHER EATING ESTABLISHMENTS

When you’re feeling a bit hungry you can dine on delicious pub fare at the Leaky Cauldron™. Sit down and relax as you enjoy a traditional British meal, or indulge in a frozen treat at Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlour.

:)

They're spending over £150m on this. Literally mindboggling scale of investment, and you know that they'll pay it all back fairly quickly with all the shops/merch that'll be available in Diagonally. Love how faithful they've been to the film recreation too, literally looks exactly the same. Bravo, Universal.

There's supposedly two 'peeping spots' located on the fences surrounding the front of the area. Here is one of the views available:

Bew0oPjIIAAwCwf.jpg:large

And from a different angle:

BehLlV2IAAABEK5.jpg:large

Apparently IoA has been serving warm butterbeer:

Be1K8_5IIAAMH6T.jpg:large

(source)

Butterbeer's nice, but I'm not sure about that. o_O

But enough about Potter, here's an update on the staff car park! :D

Be00gHCIYAAEIkZ.jpg:large

“@bioreconstruct: Current state of new Universal team parking structure. Dragon Challenge and Hogwarts at far left.”
(source)

BigAl said:
But enough about Potter, here's an update on the staff car park! :D

Be00gHCIYAAEIkZ.jpg:large

“@bioreconstruct: Current state of new Universal team parking structure. Dragon Challenge and Hogwarts at far left.”
(source)

I think that is the most exciting update posted in this thread! ;)