• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Studios Hollywood

admittedly we did the VIP tour but I thought Universal Hollywood was a great tour round a working studio, with a small theme park attached when we visited back in 2012. As most of the rides were repeated at Orlando, I was much more interested in the studio tour than the rides.

The Studio Tour was good, but only 1 hour. The park was opened for 12 hours! We left for 4 hours in the middle of the day to do Hollywood Boulevard (for our sins) and then returned for the evening.

I literally didn't even spend the full day in the park! I have to say, this will change once all the new additions are opened.

The Studio Tour was good, but only 1 hour. The park was opened for 12 hours! We left for 4 hours in the middle of the day to do Hollywood Boulevard (for our sins) and then returned for the evening.

I literally didn't even spend the full day in the park! I have to say, this will change once all the new additions are opened.

maybe it’s doing the VIP tour that made the big difference to me then, that was more like 2-3 hours as it’s taken at slower pace and stops to allow photos off the tram.

we did fill the rest of the day fine with the shows and stuff, but the repetition of rides from Florida was an issue.

maybe it’s doing the VIP tour that made the big difference to me then, that was more like 2-3 hours as it’s taken at slower pace and stops to allow photos off the tram.

we did fill the rest of the day fine with the shows and stuff, but the repetition of rides from Florida was an issue.

Dare I ask the price of the VIP tour? We paid $120 for admission (£90) alone...! :D

Dare I ask the price of the VIP tour? We paid $120 for admission (£90) alone...! :D

i think it was about $250 when we did it.

But included valet parking, light breakfast, bottled water during the tour, buffet lunch, reserved seating for Waterworld and a behind the scenes bit. Rides with the tour guide who could hold bags and take photos and then once the guide left you could use the express entrance on all rides for the rest of the day.
But the main benefit is the longer tour (including the prop warehouse) and the opportunity to get off the tram for photos.

Universal Studios Hollywood is currently on fire:

Looks like it is around the preferred parking lot and the Minions ride.

Oh dear…hope the damage isn’t too profound, and that no one gets hurt.

No significant damage or effect on park operations apparently. In looking that up I found this article though, about what was lost in the 2008 fire. It's a thoroughly depressing read and I'd probably rather not have known what was lost.

New rumours of the next couple of theme park projects following the Nintendo themed area and Mario Kart ride, which has been announced as opening in 2023. apparently these plans where in the works pre Covid but are taught to being worked on again-

Copy of the Bourne Stunt show at Universal, this is getting rave reviews in Orlando so looks like Hollywood looking at getting their own version, possible replacing the Special effects show building (this has never reopened since Covid started). All though that location depends on the where the below project is going as this site has apparently been considered for that. Would imagine something like this could open two years after Nintendo in 2025.

A Fast and Furious themed Drifting Coaster- Reportedly universal have been happy with how the two new Universal coasters have worked out for them at IOA and are looking to add a major coaster from Intamin to the Hollywood Park. Themed to Fast and Furious and would feature drifting cars. Reportedly would likely have indoor and out door parts. One location previous being looked at was the indoor part to take over the Special effects show and the pets animal themed show venue next to it, then out door parts would hop over the escalators down the the lower lot (this would give amazing views and height). The other location is somewhere on the lower lot, possibly replacing the Mummy, or as Universal are building new sound stages else where on site, it couple replace some of the older soundstage next to the lower lot theme park area, much like Nintendo has done, if they want to expand the capacity of the park. Likely to be at least 2026 or more likely 2027 before we see this open if it goes ahead. This would allow them to then close/retheme the rubbish fast and furious part of the tour. Orlando hopefully would follow and replace their poor fast and furious ride they opened in 2018 with a copy of this.

Fast And Furious Family GIF by The Fast Saga

I thought Fast X was the end of the series, but seemingly there is a XI in development.
Yeah I thought that. Suppose the pandemic, and Vin Diesel and The Rock falling out has probably killed the Calvin and Hobbs and Shaw spin off series so they probably continue the main series with an interchangeable cast. Jason Momoa and Brie Larson have been added for X.

5 and 6 were probably the best 2 films.

I know Universal Hollywood is very short on space, and their attractions often have had short shelf lives. Replacing The Mummy with a new ride would also allow them to build a major new attraction without having to construct an entirely new show building, and it’d allow them to do away with the special effects at a time when gas prices are very high.

Nonetheless, replacing The Mummy only 20 years after it was built would feel like a massive waste of a world class coaster. It’s slightly smaller than the Orlando version, but it still combines detailed sets, state of the art animatronics, impressive special effects and a high tech ride system. This drifting coaster would have to be very good just to equal The Mummy, let alone surpass it. I’m sure it would have some unique elements. Universal and Intamin are both very innovative. But a launched coaster themed to cars isn’t in itself a very original idea, even if it’s a concept that works well. It would also leave the park without a major coaster while the new one was being built.

Clearly Universal Hollywood has very few options for building new rides, and they can’t afford to standstill. But I hope they find a way to add a new coaster without removing The Mummy.

Universal studios Hollywood have filled a permit for the rumoured Fast and Furious drifting coaster. The permit is for a geotechnical study, which examines the soil and foundations and analyzes the potential effects of construction.

The permits doesn’t name fast and furious as the theme but describes the ride having a warehouse style building (similar to the current fast and furious ride buildings) with a new outdoor coaster that will enter and exit and go over the building. Will have race car themed cars with drifting effect on the rides curves. It starts on the upper lot before desending down and looping its way back up around the escalators.

It’s rumoured to an Intamin Coaster.

The full layout of the Fast and Furious coaster has been obtained by ParkFans.net. It is an Intamin multi-launch coaster.
1687688027072.png1687688059925.png