Visiting Parks Alone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt878787, 13th Aug 2019.

1. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

If you're planning on going on your own, then I advise tomorrow as the forecast is bad so it'll be quieter

2. Godscrasher

Godscrasher TowersStreet Member

Done it a good few times. If work is planned down south, I book my hotels close(ish) to Alton then book a holiday the day before. Travel to towers from Newcastle and spend the day in the park, head to hotel, eat, sleep and then go to site the next day. Sometimes the day at Alton can be classed as a travel day so I can spend all day in the park without putting in a holiday.

3. Themeparksandy1981

Themeparksandy1981 TowersStreet Member

I only been to Alton Towers on my own once but been on the rides many times on my own as my daughter only just hit the 1.2m tall so my wife took her on the CBeebies rides while I went on the big coasters. It wasn’t as bad when the single rider queue was in use as I got on many coasters straight away.

Poopoohead likes this.
  4. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    "Down south" ... "Close to Alton" ... What is this confusion¿ The only parks that are legally "South" are Brighton pier and Paultons! :p

b2311e, RicketyCricket, Stuie and 4 others like this.
  5. Doublethink

Doublethink TowersStreet Member

Check out some enthusiast events if you go on your own a lot. Did a sweeden trip with some enthusiast group a month or so ago and make some great freinds. Already planning a trip to ceader point next year with one of them and doing a road trip in 2 weeks with 3 of them to Eftaling.

Matt878787 likes this.
  6. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    If you know enough forum members, there's usually at least someone on park pretty much every day that you can hunt down if you get bored. ;)

7. Ethan

Getting serious now

8. Stuie

Stuie TowersStreet Member

Dreamland and Adventure Island say hello!

DiogoJ42 and skyscraper like this.
  9. Matt878787

Matt878787 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Thanks I feel abit less bothered now after reading these replies. Even just to drive over and have a couple of rides on Nemesis and Oblivion and then leave early would be alright I guess.

Doublethink and BarryZola like this.
  10. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Needs a beer rest half way through that long walk...Welcome Inn calling.

Matt878787 likes this.
  11. NachoBob

NachoBob TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Th13teen
    I had never been to a park by myself until this year... I have now been by myself 6 times just this year. I quite enjoy going by myself now that I have done it.
    I was a bit nervous at the start but once your there doing your own thing it's great!

I also have a youtube channel so im walking around a theme park on my own talking to a massive fluffy microphone on top of a camera.... It does come with a bit of abuse from time to time but it makes me happy.(Normally chavs)

12. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    My friend's kid (he's 12 and likes parks) was showing me some of the people he follows on Instagram yesterday. The story(?) thing where you post short lived photos seemed to be full of people at parks seemingly on their own taking selfies before and after rides.

"Here I am at Thorpe on my own, but I'm not really on my own because you're all with me. Look how wet I got on Rumba!" or something.

Maybe I am a bit old to really 'get' that, but it seemed strange.

ThisGuy, DiogoJ42, BarryZola and 4 others like this.
  13. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

I think that sounds sweet actually! (A little bit weird) ,:D

I am going solo to Brean and Funland at the Tropicana tomorrow

skyscraper likes this.
  14. NachoBob

NachoBob TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Th13teen
    It is totally weird and the first few times you do it makes you feel like you shouldn't be doing it because you feel so awkward. It is addictive though and when you get people comment on your posts/videos who are genuinely enjoying what you produce it makes you feel good. I do it definitely as a hobby/passion because I have been doing this for 3 years now and don't even have 300 subscribers. I do it for the enjoyment it brings me.

15. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I'm going to Walibi Holland alone in a couple of weeks, can't wait. Single rider queues and a new RMC.

Once the park closes I'll plonk myself in a beer garden and read a book.

It's good to have some time to yourself every now and then, and travelling somewhere new is a great way to do it.

Rojo and BarryZola like this.
  16. deathproof69

deathproof69 TowersStreet Member

I struggle with my anxiety, but I found that after a few visits you get over the 'awkwardness' of it all. I feel completely comfortable visit parks alone now, the sense of freedom is great. Also, I'm sure like many of you I have a walking lunch, because I don't want to waste a minute! With my friends they want to sit, chill and have a cup of tea!

I've just got back from Efteling alone, and i had the most amazing time! The single rider queues help so much! glad I finally got to visit a park I've been gagging to visit for so long.

Ethan, DiogoJ42 and RicketyCricket like this.
  17. Ethan

Queues are the only problem when going alone. Standing in queues by yourself will make you bored very quickly. That's why I wish they bring back SRQ on more rides as that would save you lots of time

18. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Don't have a problem with it myself.
    Have resorted to a newspaper in my pocket, but usually people watching, quietly eavesdropping on other conversations, and simply watching the ride go round is enough for me.
    That and dropping sneaky darts just as the queueline moves on.
    Edit...
    That would of course be farts.
    Love autocucumber.

19. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

Awkwardly starting conversations with the people next to you works as well.

Megafobia's queue is a killer for solo visitors as there's no signal or wifi

Burbs likes this.
  20. Error

Error TowersStreet Member

Ask rob666 kindly for his newspaper. I promise you nothing new would of changed on Facebook.

rob666, speedy and Rick like this.
    Posted 7th Sep 2019