• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Walt Disney World: Non-Theme Park Discussion

Disney Dining Plan is back and wow the prices

$95 or £77 for the regular dining plan is a crazy price.
For a rough idea Be Our Guest is $67 per adult, Burger fries and soda at Cosmic Rays is $17, snack of a sundae at plaza ice cream parlour is $8 so that day at the Magic Kingdom is $92. The only "saving" on the DDP is the refill mug at the resort. But go to Liberty Tree Tavern at $39 per adult instead of doing Be Our Guest and you've lost almost $30. The only way to come out ahead on the plan is to do expensive prix fixe meals and to get alcoholic drinks when possible.

Is this priced with future discounts in mind so the can portray an ‘offer’ that isn’t really one?

I wonder if they’ll introduce multi-day dining plans where it becomes better value per person per day?

I was reading some commentary on Reddit and there seem to be two sets of people who want the dining plan. The first are going to plan out every single dish they'll order in advance in order to make sure they're breaking even or "making money" on the deal, and the second are people who understand it's not exactly a money-saving deal but the convenience of being able to pay in advance and then not worry about it at all during your vacation makes up for that.

I stayed at Disney 4 times and had the free DDP. In 2007 it worked well as you could book a restaurant that day and sometimes even just turn up at the restaurant and got a table. The following year was a lot harder as guests could book restaurants 180 days before hand so it was hard to decide what parks we be going to and what u fancied to eat and at what time. Many times we ate when we wasn’t hungry and times we were past caring. Thankfully they brought out the QSDP out which worked out so much better for us as we ate where we wanted and the times we wanted and round world showcase in Epcot the misses and my daughter wanted fish and chips in the uk area and I had a sea food salad from the American section and took it back from the them and we ate watching the live bands in the uk section.

I was reading some commentary on Reddit and there seem to be two sets of people who want the dining plan. The first are going to plan out every single dish they'll order in advance in order to make sure they're breaking even or "making money" on the deal, and the second are people who understand it's not exactly a money-saving deal but the convenience of being able to pay in advance and then not worry about it at all during your vacation makes up for that.

The third group are those who know its worth getting for free only.

I wonder if they’ll introduce multi-day dining plans where it becomes better value per person per day?
Are Disney particularly interested in value for customers though? I think they know a certain number will pay the price whether it's good value of not and that makes it worth it for them. Perhaps I'm being cynical but I just don't really think they're bothered if it makes sense as a deal but rather have tried this with focus groups and enough people have said they'd pay the expensive price.

The Dining Plan wasn’t value for money pre-Covid. It hasn’t been for years. As has been said, it’s a tool for Disney to use as a discount tool or for people who use it to budget by pre-paying.

The free dining offers became so predictable, people would wait for them every year and it was a huge attendance driver for Disney resorts. I expect its return will be no different and no doubt the reason why Disney have brought it back after softer demand at the parks and hotels.

Just saw this article on Inside the Magic:
Essentially a group of people have started a campaign to ban childless adults from Disney Parks. Obviously I can't see it happening since Disney need the money and I reckon a ban would do more to damage their reputation than "Disney Adults" do, but if it did happen, most of us will be screwed!

Essentially a group of people have started a campaign to ban childless adults from Disney Parks. Obviously I can't see it happening since Disney need the money and I reckon a ban would do more to damage their reputation than "Disney Adults" do, but if it did happen, most of us will be screwed!
There's more chance of the London Resort opening than this happening.

The “Disney should ban adults without kids” brigade has existed for years. They are just a nosy corner of the theme park internet.

If they ever did do this (and realistically, I think the chances of it are pretty low for the reasons identified above), I actually think it would take a significant cut out of their revenue dependent on what the age limit for a “child” was.

Even though Disney doesn’t really have thrill rides as such, I’d argue that some of their biggest headline rides do have adult appeal to a certain extent, and certainly aren’t aimed at small children. Heck, you have some rides that have 48”/1.2m height restrictions, which naturally excludes young children anyway.

At places like Gulliver’s, I think this policy works, as none of the rides really have much appeal outside of the young children’s market. In the case of Disney, the parks were designed to be universally appealing, and many of the rides do carry appeal for older guests and older members of the family.

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen

They've lost the plot from top to bottom. How did a company that seemed to get everything their way can make one terrible mistake after the other now?