Walt Disney World: Non-Theme Park Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Rob, 17th Feb 2017.

1. venny

venny TowersStreet Member

All whilst prices increase exponentially. Prices for the two week break we usually take on site is now more than double it was four years ago, with benefits rapidly being removed.

Bear in mind it was only a few years ago that extra magic hours were 3 hours long in the evening with longer park hours on top. You could often be in the Magic Kingdom until 2am as a resort guest.

The value just isn’t there for us anymore and we won’t be returning any time soon.

jon81uk and AT86 like this.
  2. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    It's no lie that it's getting absolutely ridiculously expensive to go to Florida especially when you have kids and a mortgage to pay. We're going August 2022 and we have budgeted 9 grand for the 3 of us (my son will be 8) for the 2 weeks which i think it's very reasonable. We could probably do it cheaper than that but we're not skimping on a such a grand Holiday.

It's an incredible place to visit especially if you're a Theme Park enthusiast but 9 grand for 2 weeks of your life is absolutely outrageous it can't be argued. We sadly won't be able to afford to keep going back year after year like some can.

jon81uk likes this.
  3. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    @Benjsh is that £9k flights, accommodation, theme park tickets and dining plan?

Benjsh likes this.
  4. Benjsh

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    9 grand will be for everything yeah including spending money for 2 adults and a child.

- 6 nights at Disney (budget hotel only)
    - 8 nights on Int drive in budget hotel
    - Universal / Sea World Bush passes

We'll be doing the 4 Disney parks over first 6 days.

Probably have a day off whilst we move hotels at end of first week.

Then second week we'll do Universal X 3, Sea World and Busch Gardens.

It can be done for less too if you decide to not stay at Disney. It's something we haven't ruled out but I think the benefits of staying onsite at Disney are definitely worth it especially as we don't know if we'll ever go as a family again. it will depend on jobs etc.

jon81uk likes this.
  5. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

For two adults in 2016 we paid £3600 for two weeks at Disney deluxe hotel and the Disney park tickets. Then added £140 each for Seaworld/Busch/Discovery Cove and anouther couple hundred for Universal. We got the free Disney dining though which probably saved us £1000. We also paid a couple hundred for a hire car and of course $20 parking each time we went to Universal.
    The dining plan is not worth paying for though, it will almost always work out cheaper to pay for each meal if you don't get the free dining offer.

Now though I think we could easily spend double that to stay on site, so we are considering more like Benjish is doing with part Disney and part elsewhere.

Currently got bargain priced flights booked for Sept 2021, but it depends how the pandemic is looking...

Benjsh likes this.
  6. Benjsh

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    September is different. We're going last 2 weeks of August in summer holidays. A lot of American kids have gone back to school then but the parks are still incredibly busy so the prices are still expensive.

If you go mid to late September it's apparently much much cheaper. We won't be taking our son out of school though. They've missed more than enough school over this awful year we've had.

Real bargains to be had if you don't have kids and are flexible.

7. jon81uk

Oh definitely, no kids is a big bonus and September is cheaper. But it is still looking at being over £2000 more expensive compared to five years ago for basically the same trip for us. That with the loss of a lot of benefits from staying on site means we are thinking its much better to stay off-site and save the money.

Benjsh likes this.
  8. Benjsh

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Oh for sure if you've been recently and plan on going again after your next visit id definitely stay off site.

This MIGHT be our only family trip to Florida. Who knows what the future will bring so we aren't skimping on much.

jon81uk likes this.
  9. jon81uk

If we make it to Florida this year, it will be our sixth trip...

We've stayed at
    All Star Movies
    Port Orleans Riverside
    Port Orleans French Quarter
    Saratoga Springs
    Wilderness Lodge

Benjsh likes this.
  10. Benjsh

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    It will be my 4th in total but my first with my Son. He's Disney mad so we don't want to wait much longer or the magic might wear off a bit for him.

Never actually stayed on site before either so that will be a first for me. All star movies is looking most likely as it's cheapest and we don't plan on being in the room much at all.

jon81uk likes this.